• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Just some questions.

Beeezer

Ok so today I went out to replenish my disks (old set destroyed, something about neighbor dog, idk. I have repressed everything about the incident.)

Anyway, I went out and bought the Inova DX starter kit and a DX Wraith to throw to get me back in the groove (and when my paycheck comes) I'll upgrade.

Disks

Putter--DX Aviar: I have heard good things about this disk.

Midrange--DX Shark: Haven't heard a lot about this one, should I upgrade to the Star Shark later or go with something else?

Distance--DX Leopard: Good disk to start on.

Also, how can I tell the weight of a disk?

Last edited:
weight is generally written on the back if an innova disc, discraft uses stickers, couldn't begin to tell you about the smaller manufacturers...

you have a good batch of stuff to start with.

it's "disc" not "disk"

I started putting with a DX aviar and it was groovy til I found my Elite Z magnet! ( though your preferential putter maybe different) I also started off with a DX shark and have upgraded to a star shark as i really enjoyed the shark in base plastic. Instead of a Leopard I started with a Avenger SS and I wouldn't change a thing! it still has a mainstay in my bag. Also, on the back of your discs there should be numbers, that would be the weight in grams! Enjoy your discing

yeah its a form of Auto-Correct, haven't gotten around to disabling/removing it.

On another note, I do like all the advice that I have gotten so far since joining this site!

To your question about the Star Shark: if you like the DX Shark fresh out of the box, then your interests would be served to buy a Star Shark as it will retain its flight characteristics much longer than DX.

The only issues I foresee with your setup is that all your discs are likely 150-class. So you'll probably want to at least upgrade your putter to 175ish and bump up the weights on your mid and driver or by the time you start to really get some good form and solid throws, the Leopard and Shark won't do anything but flip to rollers.

Putter--DX Aviar: I have heard good things about this disk.

Midrange--DX Shark: Haven't heard a lot about this one, should I upgrade to the Star Shark later or go with something else?

Distance--DX Leopard: Good disk to start on.

Those will do nicely.

If your Shark is in the 170's, you have a very good all around disc. The 150 class disc is fine, but will have a little trouble in the wind. The Shark is a keeper if you like it. It's been around a long time for good reason.

all my discs are 150, though not sure bout the wraith, only bought it since it was really cheap.

So far I've lived in LA--over in Reseda actually, and have not felt/seen a lot of wind lately so will upgrade when I get the chance.