• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Kastaplast Berg

but as I learn angles with the Berg, I'm thinking the Pig's days are numbered.

I dabbled with a Berg. Definitely an excellent little approach disc. It wouldn't kick the Pig out of my bag because the Pig will cover distances for me that I couldn't hope to cover with the Berg.

Not to poop in the Berg discussion, but I watched several women using these new, rubbery discs from Divergent Discs for their approaches. Talk about a disc with zero ground play. They almost make a Berg look skippy.

I recently joined Team Berg. It's ability to simply sit down means that it replaced soft versions of various putters I've used over the years (most recently, a soft Tui). It has almost additionally replaced the Pig, for short flicks and very predictable fades. The Pig is still called on for those really sharp turning angles (the disc just steers itself), but as I learn angles with the Berg, I'm thinking the Pig's days are numbered.

The Berg is accompanied in my bag by the Reko K3 (putting) and Reko K3 Hard (stable to neutral approach).

"If it's closer than 175', the answer is Kastaplast."

Pig is still nice for flick approaches and short spike hyzers around obstacles. It also has some glide so I like it for longer headwind putts. It works kinda like a mini Firebird for me, but more useful in my eyes. The Berg is just a brick I throw at a basket that won't lift or drop in the wind or lack of. So freakin useful. It is also great for a spin putter because you won't go 50 feet past the basket.

I took the Berg out of the bag a few months back. I'm not saying I think I'm right.

I can't put it into words (the 'why' of it), but I'll try:

Primary use was as a distance governor and ground-play boss. Stego has assumed the role of distance governor within about 220 or so, and the ground play (lack thereof) is also elite. I've been throwing Stego more.

Hyzer lines--I struggle with putters that don't click intuitively on hyzer lines. I loved my Pig when I bagged it because it felt very natural on medium to steep hyzer. Berg seemed reluctant to bend into the hyzer for some reason--probably an archer issue--but it just didn't click as quicky as some other discs.

Fanatical pursuit of disc minimization. I'd rather be great with 3 discs than good with 15. I still am not sure I need an OS putter in the bag outside of the Stego...but I can't bring myself to eliminate it ('it' being the Zone for now) from the bag either.

Having said all that, I played a round on Monday with a guy who leaned into his Berg. I do remember throwing it on straight/straight-ish lines and loving it. Was a surprisingly comfortable flick disc, too.

I took the Berg out of the bag a few months back. I'm not saying I think I'm right.

I can't put it into words (the 'why' of it), but I'll try:

Primary use was as a distance governor and ground-play boss. Stego has assumed the role of distance governor within about 220 or so, and the ground play (lack thereof) is also elite. I've been throwing Stego more.

Hyzer lines--I struggle with putters that don't click intuitively on hyzer lines. I loved my Pig when I bagged it because it felt very natural on medium to steep hyzer. Berg seemed reluctant to bend into the hyzer for some reason--probably an archer issue--but it just didn't click as quicky as some other discs.

Fanatical pursuit of disc minimization. I'd rather be great with 3 discs than good with 15. I still am not sure I need an OS putter in the bag outside of the Stego...but I can't bring myself to eliminate it ('it' being the Zone for now) from the bag either.

Having said all that, I played a round on Monday with a guy who leaned into his Berg. I do remember throwing it on straight/straight-ish lines and loving it. Was a surprisingly comfortable flick disc, too.

Stego is incredible for managing distance. I love how ridiculously reliable the flight is. Dumb disc... But definite stroke saver for me.

Stego is incredible for managing distance. I love how ridiculously reliable the flight is. Dumb disc... But definite stroke saver for me.

"Throw it hard" is a command my body understands... :D

With a disc that doesn't go super far even if you really connect, it simplifies things.

I'm still using touch on approach/upshot of similar distance much of the time, but that too is changing. Kind of a silly disc but who am I to question results?

How does the Berg do with forehands? Does the HSS translate to torque resistance? Does the thumbtrack make it a bit funky?

I think that it is really easy to forehand. It loves told hold the hyzer but still has very little lateral movement. It also excels at soft anhyzer forehand flex shots. Just a thing of beauty with the Berg.

How does the Berg do with forehands? Does the HSS translate to torque resistance? Does the thumbtrack make it a bit funky?

I have a Berg in the bag exclusively for forehand approach. My forehand is a liability, but I feel 100% solid anytime I'm forehanding a Berg within 100'.

It is also sneaky good on a forehand roller.

I throw my K1 Berg FH about half the time. The thumbtrack seems as though it would be a problem, but it isn't. My main issue is the disc is a lot straighter than I expected when thrown FH, so it took a bit to dial it in. It's an amazing up and down disc for anything inside 50m for me.

I throw my K1 Berg FH about half the time. The thumbtrack seems as though it would be a problem, but it isn't. My main issue is the disc is a lot straighter than I expected when thrown FH, so it took a bit to dial it in. It's an amazing up and down disc for anything inside 50m for me.

I was surprised as how intuitive the Berg was on forehand throws, because it's not the shape I look for at all.

Not to poop in the Berg discussion, but I watched several women using these new, rubbery discs from Divergent Discs for their approaches. Talk about a disc with zero ground play. They almost make a Berg look skippy.

Golem? Basically a silicone Zone FWIW.

This is such an incredible mold. I think of discs as having power bands where they perform consistently, and the Berg has the largest power band of any disc I have thrown. Throw it 25mph or 60mph and it will go straight. It can handle torque and just holds lines BH and FH. It has a built in governor and is easy to range. It works great as a windy day C1 putter.

Absolute home run for Kastaplast.

Wonder if they ever going to make a K1 hard?

The normal K1 is quite soft, and the K1 soft is VERY soft . . .i would like a K1 Hard that felt like a Luster or CryZtal plastic

Older runs of K1 were typically harder.

7 years in and the berg has absolutely taken over almost all approach. I don't need an OS berg really though. The shot shaping I can do with a beat K2 and land completely flat is exactly why I use the berg. Maybe at Sea level I would want some more bite, but right now stepping up to a scale gives me the fade that I want when I need it.

Older runs of K1 were typically harder.

7 years in and the berg has absolutely taken over almost all approach. I don't need an OS berg really though. The shot shaping I can do with a beat K2 and land completely flat is exactly why I use the berg. Maybe at Sea level I would want some more bite, but right now stepping up to a scale gives me the fade that I want when I need it.

I still wanna know what they're gonna do with the K2 name now that it's "K1 soft"

Sea level here...that 5 year old dyed one I've posted still has plenty of [over]stability. If I really need it I'll either switch my throw BH/FH and use something understable or disc up to a Drone. Nonissue for me.

I still wanna know what they're gonna do with the K2 name now that it's "K1 soft"

Sea level here...that 5 year old dyed one I've posted still has plenty of [over]stability. If I really need it I'll either switch my throw BH/FH and use something understable or disc up to a Drone. Nonissue for me.

Coming from 5000' to sea level it's often easier for me to stable up than adjust angles and snap for everything. I am sure it wouldn't matter which berg I was throwing I would adjust to throwing it well there or here soon enough. I throw a fresh k2 glow during glow season and play just fine with it despite it having more bite than my main berg.

Sounds like we are in about the same boat with the bergs.
It's funny that my favorite disc is also one of the few I only carry 1 of. Just love the disc.

I really hope K2 naming isn't gone for good, but who knows. It would get confusing to remember to talk about my k2s as K1 soft to not confuse people

Well I finally dipped my toe in to see what all the hype was about. And… it's great. I wanted to not like it because of the huge boom in fanfare it's getting but call me a convert. That shape unexpectedly works and each time I ran some crazy approach, it just sat within 15' of the basket.

I even tried putting with it a few times because I was really gelling with the feel. Does anyone regularly putt with these?

Well I finally dipped my toe in to see what all the hype was about. And… it's great. I wanted to not like it because of the huge boom in fanfare it's getting but call me a convert. That shape unexpectedly works and each time I ran some crazy approach, it just sat within 15' of the basket.

I even tried putting with it a few times because I was really gelling with the feel. Does anyone regularly putt with these?

I sometimes putt with my K1 Soft Berg if it's windy, or an outside the circle step or jump putt.

Latest posts