• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] ODDGRIP

I actually did pre-order one before they closed pre-orders, they have not shipped yet as far as I know.

Okay, had my first round using the OddGrip G1 as my upshot disc today. After a round with it, I can give initial impressions.

Plastic, so the white part of the disc, reminds me of the underside of the Prodigy FX-2. I don't think the mold was polished to give the disc a smooth finish. So it has a slightly sandpapery feel on the white part of the disc. The undermold black part is amazingly grippy and firm, yet still squishy. This is unlike any other disc I've ever held. The parting line has some minor flashing, and the undermold has four "injection" points arranged equally around the underside of the disc. The combination of the sandpapery top and rubbery undermold, makes my fan style grip really solid even when held lightly. It is definitely odd, but I do like how it feels in the hand a lot.

Throwing, the factory numbers are 2-3-0-0 I primarily use a Neutron Soft Proxy for this sort of upshot. The G1 flies further, with less effort than the Proxy. My second shot with it, I threw it past the basket and into the woods 15 feet behind it and I was frankly shocked that I got that much on it. It flies slowly in comparison to the proxy, but glides further with roughly the same effort. In the wind I was throwing in I didn't have a problem controlling it once I backed off slightly and any of the times I did a bad upshot it was definitely my fault. By the end of the round, I did get the hang of it.

The nice slow floating flight that this gives me, is a joy to watch and it is definitely fun to throw. It did fine in the wind too (10 mph with guests to 16mph today). I have not tried driving with it yet, the job I gave it today was "every upshot" on my home, mostly wide open, course. In that role, it did very well.

If you haven't priced one of these, with shipping to the states you are going to be out 28 dollars. I typically pay 18-20 or so for my Soft Neutron Proxy in comparison. So now down to "brass tacks" is it worth the price of admission? Not for everyone, if you want a straight upshot disc, that I believe will grip in any weather, and want to give a new manufacturer a shot, sure! However, I am not immediately buying a spare so it hasn't "hit it out of the park" here for me. It has made the bag and taken the spot of an upshot disc that I was very happy with (the Neutron Soft Proxy).

They do ship it in a box, with a certificate describing its pdga approval and some stickers, although the extras may be something that only came with the first run of orders.

I will see if I can figure out uploading pictures in this forum and add them here if there is interest.

I'm interested, but the cost is pretty high with the shipping included. Could be very cool to see how get did their undermold as it were, maybe if I can get one in the US $30 shipped I'll try it.

Here are some pics...

Attachments

• PXL_20220622_010320768.jpg
    PXL_20220622_010320768.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20220622_010330122.jpg
    PXL_20220622_010330122.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20220622_010349072.jpg
    PXL_20220622_010349072.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 36
Are you kidding? This is super scary.

I cant wait for AR body movement controlled manipulation of disc flight through various technologies. Then all the body english will actually make discs turn and fade dodging trees and hazards. Shivers...

I can see this being useable on approach shots but would not recommend driving with it off the tee if its anything past 200ft unless you are looking to go right (rhbh) rather fast. I'd be a lot more confident ripping a Proxy off the teepad instead of the G1. Did not try it many times though and not sure about the weight of the individual I tested but I see more potential as a true floaty approach disc than anything else.
Mold does not feel bad in the hand though. Liked the plastic a lot (white), but the rubber(black) was a bit too grippy for my liking.

My G1 arrived today and this is definitely a unique (odd) mold.

In short... It's an US PnA that really was impressive in a variety of uses.

Off the tee or longer upshot, it flipped up from a hyzer and had some nice glide. I never flipped it over to the point of no return unless I threw it flat and hard. I threw it on a full power steep hyzer and pushed it out to around 250 and it flipped to flat and landed flat. Cool shot albeit not a realistic everyday throw.

I was smashing circle putts all round with it but it's a pretty standard flyer. Straight to the chains with a unique grip.

The white top layer is a really gritty plastic that is much more durable than DX but isn't what I'd call a premium plastic. Kinda reminded me of the sandblasted wing on a few Gateway molds. The black rubber underneath feels a lot like the silicone grip on a spatula. I really enjoyed it in a power grip once I got a little dirt on it.

I dig this Odd little putter. Solid execution for a unique idea. I think I will probably bag this for a while as a easy to throw PnA that performs well for a lot of lines. It's a great line carver and it fills a void in my bag as a low power thrower capable of bending left to right without a ton of juice. Good work ODDGRIP!

Attachments

• 20220914_170054.jpg
    20220914_170054.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220914_170143.jpg
    20220914_170143.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220914_170203.jpg
    20220914_170203.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 23
I kinda love this Odd disc...

I am a spin putter that can be either very hot or VERY cold. Sometimes experiencing both during a round... But my main miss is high on the cage.

I took the G1 out for a spin today in my putting slot and I was nails with it. It is a relatively understable flyer so it had that extra bit of loft that a Magic or PA4 seems to have. Using that extra dose of lift, I was smashing mid chains nearly every putt. Not to say I can't force most PnA to that point but it doesn't hurt to have a bit more hover.

The grippy underside and wing feel great too for getting that last little bit of "pop" at the end of your stroke.

The top and wing are a really gritty, non grippy material that seems to allow my thumb a clean release.

This is a most definitely a niche/specialized type of disc but I may have found my putting putter for this spring.

Attachments

• 20230219_140730.jpg
    20230219_140730.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 13
Always good to see people innovating and trying new things, instead of just releasing their 42nd 13 speed driver that is somehow slightly different than the Destroyer but actually better and faster. Really. They promise it's amazing. You've got to have one.

But back on topic, this guy looks pretty cool.

Always good to see people innovating and trying new things, instead of just releasing their 42nd 13 speed driver that is somehow slightly different than the Destroyer but actually better and faster. Really. They promise it's amazing. You've got to have one.

But back on topic, this guy looks pretty cool.

Ill reframe your passive aggression as the pursuit of perfection...an undying unending relentless pursuit of excellence in balance of turn fade glide speed and distance...and not a 3d scan replica with a new name and "exotic" plastic just to try to catch up.

OR check out our new disc golf disc er LID thats been around since the 60's...its great its a HYBRID lol