• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 River

Weight is the best way to predetermine river stabilty. Heavier domy rivers are moderately overstable. Flat lite rivers are flippy but very gyroscopic. Its the inbetween weights that can be frustrating. Domey liter rivers suck. Flat heavier rivres suck. Fwiw.. If you like 168 - 172g discs, You probably won't jive with rivers.

My 173g GL River is perfectly straight for me. Maybe with a little fade. It was my workhorse driver this weekend for four rounds.

161g flat GL river. Does a really nice job with the glide (obviously), but needs to be hyzer-flipped. It's almost like a beat-up DX teebird, but with even more glide.

Weight seems to determine it for me: anything over 170 is pretty stable/ neutral for me

My River is a 175gr Gold line with a slight dome, not flat but not a huge dome either. It's beat in and will throw any line I put it on and even holds a good line with low power. There are a few holes at my local course that are just under 300ft through the woods that I use my River for, just I nice slow stroke and it threads the trees.

Went and bought a new River just to revisit the disc. I dropped it first for Fury and since then I moved to Hatchets.

I just ran in to the strangest River, which was screaming bright reddish orange and most importantly super gummy. It was more like the Prodigy 400g plastic.

I'm wondering if you guys have seen these with your Rivers or, even better, all other Latitude molds?

I bought up a bunch of opaque, gummy reddish orange swirly Opto Fuses about six months ago just because the plastic was so awesome. Probably same plastic blend you are talking about?

There were also GL Rivers dubbed "lavashift" that were really pretty and that may be what you're talking about as well.

Sounds exactly like what I got. Wouldn't mind seeing Saint Pro, Saint and even Hatchet (if TP is really same as GL) in that plastic. The best plastic I've ever tried.

i have a flat lavashift GL river, it's pretty OS.
but on the right throw it goes pretty straight.
just not really super consistent unless you are...
On the flight side this is exactly how my lavashift felt. With less than ideal pull it felt almost OS, but with a good rip it turned quite a lot. Not sure if I can fit such a disc into the bag.

I'll keep throwing it on the field and see if I can get any consistency after it beats up a bit.

I bought up a bunch of opaque, gummy reddish orange swirly Opto Fuses about six months ago just because the plastic was so awesome. Probably same plastic blend you are talking about?

There were also GL Rivers dubbed "lavashift" that were really pretty and that may be what you're talking about as well.

I had an Underworld like this.

Have you had a chance to compare this to Frost line?

Just got hold of a 166g Opto River. Flew pretty well, is a bit to the understable side. My TL is faster and goes farther; the River seems to be a bit more like a glide-y Leopard. I'll keep working with the River and see if I can use its understability on the home course.

Just got hold of a 166g Opto River. Flew pretty well, is a bit to the understable side. My TL is faster and goes farther; the River seems to be a bit more like a glide-y Leopard. I'll keep working with the River and see if I can use its understability on the home course.

I use a 174 and it's pretty stable. It is very Leopard like. I just recently took my Leo out for the River.

It's for sure a good disc to have in the bag and I could see it complimenting your TL pretty well in the long run.

I woudn't expect it to be more understable - but then, a heavy chap Leo is much more stable than a light DX. Rivers have some variability, but brand new they are pretty neutral.

Have a 167 Opto River new stamp on the way, what should i expect? A bit more understable than a leopard?

Can't speak for all makes and models, i.e. weights and plastics, but my early findings are that the Opto River is a bit understable, about the same as a Leopard of the same general weight, and the River glides very well and goes a touch farther than the Leopard. The TL seems faster, it gets on downrange a bit faster and goes about 20 feet farther for me (on average). The River did some nice S-curves for me that the Leopard doesn't quite do as much of (doesn't fade back as much).

But in the overall, the River reminded me of the Leopard but with more glide, and I'm going to work with it to see if it will do mild anhzyers on upshots well (Leopard wasn't the best for that, the Foxbat and Wombat do that much better for me but don't go very far). If the River does that, it's in the bag for sure.

I own 9 rivers in different weights from 178 to 160 and mostly in gold line. I've always searched for the flatter mild dome rivers as they have a bit more turn. I carry a max weight one for long and slow turn that given enough time/height will ever so slightly fade back. Like a longer heavy fuse. The lighter versions with relatively the same dome/parting line tend to turn faster. Depending on your arm speed, or how you want to use the disc, you can use this to your advantage when selecting a weight. I have only seen a handful of pop top or very domey rivers and they are not really rivers as I imagine it was intended. Look for low and consistent dome. If you throw 350+ you will want a max weight and something low 170's for more turn if you so wish. Opto or more dome if you want more stability.

If the River does that, it's in the bag for sure.

And the River is in the bag, fer sure. Got a Gold Line River 168g and it is awesome. I love it for control shots in the woods (and in the open, too), especially in uphill shots. The Opto is the backup now, as I love the feel of the GL plastic. Definitely an excellent compliment to the TL.

How does a river compare to a patriot?

Sound a little like the flight, dome and rim are similar but have never thrown them side by side (or rivers much at all). Or compared profiles.