• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 River

How does a river compare to a patriot?
Sound a little like the flight, dome and rim are similar but have never thrown them side by side (or rivers much at all). Or compared profiles.

Dunno, I've never thrown a Patriot (don't think I've seen one in a store, either).

How does a river compare to a patriot?

Sound a little like the flight, dome and rim are similar but have never thrown them side by side (or rivers much at all). Or compared profiles.

They look pretty similar specwise, and flight-wise per inbounds.

Was just looking at DiscGolfCenter, and they have a handful of 150-class pink Opto Rivers for sale. I've never seen a River that weighs less than 162 or so. Wonder how it would compare to a Jade.

I'd guess it will have less fade at the end than a Jade. I've found the Jade to be a pretty consistent "S" thrower, even in some wind. My lighter Rivers (low 160s) don't seem to have the fight at the end (or the distance) of the Jade.

Having said that, I am temped by those DGC beauties...

The real question is how does a river compare to an FD. Or am I way off on trying to make that comparison.

The real question is how does a river compare to an FD. Or am I way off on trying to make that comparison.

You're not way off.

I have Gold Line River and an F2 C-Line FD. IMHO the FD goes a bit farther than the River. My River is seasoning in to a nice stable/understable disc. My FD is a bit understable, but still fades back. I tend to throw the River for shots in technical/wooded situations, and the FD when I need some distance out of my control driver that I don't want too much fade on. (When I want more fade at the end, I throw the Star TL).

So the discs are comparable, but have differences enough to me that I'll carry both if there's room in the bag (if I'm not trying a new disc, or the course I'm playing dictates different discs, etc.).

They are fine to compare. They both offer pretty easy distance. Little bit more turn and distance with the River for me, but it is about 5g lighter than the FD's I have. River held an anny a little easier too. Only tried a Gold River and two 5th line C FD's in my experiences, but I'd choose the River over the FD simply because the FD has significantly more dome and I just don't care for that. Not as comfy in my hand.

I bag both Rivers and FDs, but the problem with that comparison is that FDs are literally all over the place, and while there's some slight differences in some of the rivers, they're way more consistent across all plastics.

I'd say the D-FD would probably be closest to the River,

anybody heard about the release of river in opto air?
wonder how they fly and if these will remain as glidey as "normal" rivers.

DGCenter has had some 150 class Rivers for sale for a while, so I tried a 155 - it's very glidey. I got an Underworld-like flight out of it, with a more fade at the end. Very effortless distance. Pretty similar to a Jade.

I imagine an Air River would be pretty miuch the same.

The river kicked the fd out of my bag a long time ago. I'm interested to see if the air rivers come out as stable as a few of the lower 160g gold lines I've got.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

...I'm interested to see if the air rivers come out as stable as a few of the lower 160g gold lines I've got.

that's what i'm hoping for as well. my opto river 168g is much more stable than the numbers suggest. definitely i will order an air river as soon as they are available. according to the shop it will be this friday.

When did the Rivers get the new "Fisherman" stamp treatment? And how did I miss it?
That stamp is too cool and funny at the same time!

Interesting. I have a Limited Edition Gold Line River that shows a river flowing with a mountain in the background and a DG basket at the side of the river. Cool stamp, and I'm not throwing that disc right now (got other production GL Rivers).

Someone above said something about the Opto River being more stable than the numbers. That is true, but Opto seasons in faster than Innova Champion plastic does (indeed, Champion plastic seems to never beat in at all), and my Opto River lost a bit of its stability. I throw GL Rivers because I like the plastic a lot better, but the Opto River is awesome, as well.

Interesting.
Someone above said something about the Opto River being more stable than the numbers. That is true, but Opto seasons in faster than Innova Champion plastic does (indeed, Champion plastic seems to never beat in at all), and my Opto River lost a bit of its stability. I throw GL Rivers because I like the plastic a lot better, but the Opto River is awesome, as well.

I think Opto can be -1/2 to -1/1...I've thrown Goldline that are much less stable though (never tried a fresh one). I have weird results with my River, that I've thrown for a couple years. I think it has a strange design that makes it always want to fade/have LSS, while it initially is high speed understable. It has an interesting flight where if you can throw it cleanly with at least, I don't know...280+ power...it will have a mild turn and mild fade. But throw it harder...still mild turn and mild fade. And harder...and still mild turn and mild fade. Most US discs will gradually turn more and more, getting wider and wider S-curves at longer distances, and stop fading at a certain point. The River just always has this mellow LSS that fights the understability that makes it glide along I guess.

I normally don't get all analytical about molds, but this one is strange. I've thrown it 375'+ (very occasionally) with barely more lateral movement than a 320' shot with it. Normally a disc with a comparable flight path at 320' would flip like crazy at 375'. But, it rarely comes out for me on the course because it's finicky...if you expect it to do that, and you have any torque or weirdness, it can flip. But if you throw it correctly in calm or tailwind you are rewarded with glide.

I think Opto can be -1/2 to -1/1...I've thrown Goldline that are much less stable though (never tried a fresh one). I have weird results with my River, that I've thrown for a couple years. I think it has a strange design that makes it always want to fade/have LSS, while it initially is high speed understable. It has an interesting flight where if you can throw it cleanly with at least, I don't know...280+ power...it will have a mild turn and mild fade. But throw it harder...still mild turn and mild fade. And harder...and still mild turn and mild fade. Most US discs will gradually turn more and more, getting wider and wider S-curves at longer distances, and stop fading at a certain point. The River just always has this mellow LSS that fights the understability that makes it glide along I guess.

I normally don't get all analytical about molds, but this one is strange. I've thrown it 375'+ (very occasionally) with barely more lateral movement than a 320' shot with it. Normally a disc with a comparable flight path at 320' would flip like crazy at 375'. But, it rarely comes out for me on the course because it's finicky...if you expect it to do that, and you have any torque or weirdness, it can flip. But if you throw it correctly in calm or tailwind you are rewarded with glide.

I agree with all of that, though my noodle arm does not get close to 375. The Gold Line does season in to some slight understability, but finds a "sweet spot" and holds that spot for a good long time. And yes, one can throw some really nice s-curve shots with the River. I really like the River for uphill shots, where the glide helps, and got my first eagle (3 on a par 5) because the second shot was fairly steeply uphill and I threw a River right on up and parked in front of the basket.

My favorite rivers are flatter 177 gold lines. Great hyzer flips that slooooowly track right. Enough height and they go 400 on hyzer or anny. Impossibly great disc.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Guys the problem with triology is their still working out the bugs with air stuff.

Still Innova hasn't given up that trade secret. Don't know about Discraft.

I've ordered numerous air stuff from the triology brands, worlds, enforcers, giants,etc. And all them have well been big disappoints. My giant air is amazing though.

But really something about the blizzard from innova is just leaps and bounds better. Wish the trilogy guys would get this right!