• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Legit Par 2's?

My 12 year old son and 9 year old daughter would think it's great, as they're both just beginning and would have a chance to 2 there that they wouldn't have anywhere else.

Perspective, my friend.

I have a 10-year-old daughter. She's played Moraine, Knob Hill, Deer Lakes, Lake Shore, and several other courses. My wife is and will always be a "beginner" level.

Assumption, my friend?

You just defined the tiki course at the Blockhouse--par 2s every hole, play with one disc, and although the holes are between 55 and 150 ft the hole measurements are in inches. This is a MUST play, fun course for all levels.

That sounds like fun!

I have a 10-year-old daughter. She's played Moraine, Knob Hill, Deer Lakes, Lake Shore, and several other courses. My wife is and will always be a "beginner" level.

He said that it was a chance for that level player to feel what it's like to get a 2 that they don't get many other places, not that beginners can't have fun at a course that's designed for much higher level players.

He said that it was a chance for that level player to feel what it's like to get a 2 that they don't get many other places, not that beginners can't have fun at a course that's designed for much higher level players.

^^This. My son still likes harder courses, but he's not pulling 2's on 300' holes. Or 250', for that matter.

But I hope you feel better after your misplaced snark.

^^This. My son still likes harder courses, but he's not pulling 2's on 300' holes. Or 250', for that matter.

But I hope you feel better after your misplaced snark.

Snark, yes. Misplaced, no. :)

So what if they don't get a 2? Do they have fun? Do they show some improvement? Do they get some exercise?

So what if they don't get a 2? Do they have fun? Do they show some improvement? Do they get some exercise?

That's not really the point. Nobody's arguing with you that beginners can have fun on longer, tough courses. That doesn't mean that there's no value in courses at the level of beginning players where good shots result in birdies and bad shots result in bogies.

They do all of that, playing either course.

My son gets better every round, but he's not overly athletic, and doesn't throw more than 150' at this point. So for him to hit an accurate shot on a 165' hole and can a 15' putt would be pretty damn cool. Kind of like me deucing a 350' hole (my max golf D is about 340'). It would be a rush, and would only serve to get him MORE excited about the sport.

Take it how you will, but it seems like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point. I'm certainly not making any points that you shouldn't have been able to figure out on your own.

Maybe disc golfers are a varied bunch, with different athletic abilities, refined skills, interests, priorities, competitive spirits, dedication.....

One of the aforementioned 5-year-old disc golfers I know will happily play Stoney Hill (SSA 59), but also enjoys appropriately-scaled courses.

I don't believe in Par 2's even if the avg. score of a rec is a 2.2. Holes shouldnt really ever be less then 125' and even then it should have some kind of challenge to it. That is unless its a designed beginner course. Then thats fine but still make the Par 3.

I don't believe in Par 2's even if the avg. score of a rec is a 2.2. Holes shouldnt really ever be less then 125' and even then it should have some kind of challenge to it. That is unless its a designed beginner course. Then thats fine but still make the Par 3.

Why?

Regardless of what you call it, you'll still be playing it as if it were a Par-2, expecting to get a 2, disappointed and losing ground if you get more than a 2.

The only advantage to calling it a Par-3 is the chance to call an average shot a "birdie".

Why?

Regardless of what you call it, you'll still be playing it as if it were a Par-2, expecting to get a 2, disappointed and losing ground if you get more than a 2.

The only advantage to calling it a Par-3 is the chance to call an average shot a "birdie".

That would be the point, to encourage new players to shoot better and get hyped about discgolf. I don't think designating a hole a par 2 helps out.

My boys, 7 & 9, both got their first 'real' deuce this summer. In their mind that was playing the regular tees and not the shortened tees we see in junior tournaments. So if became more real to them...because they each got their '2' throwing from the same tee daddy throws.

It wouldn't have matter had the par been a 2, 3 or a 4. The excitement for them was a 2 not a bridie.

For the record...twos are much more common in juniors only events...but kids know they're not playing from all regulation tees...

That doesn't mean that there's no value in courses at the level of beginning players where good shots result in birdies and bad shots result in bogies.

Birdieing a "par 2" requires acing it. If all we cared about was making beginners "feel good" about themselves or something, we'd call everything a par five. Except par fives, those would have to be par 10s or something.

My son gets better every round, but he's not overly athletic, and doesn't throw more than 150' at this point. So for him to hit an accurate shot on a 165' hole and can a 15' putt would be pretty damn cool. Kind of like me deucing a 350' hole (my max golf D is about 340'). It would be a rush, and would only serve to get him MORE excited about the sport.

That's great. But it's a par three, and if he's playing the red tees, cool.

Golf often keeps the same par for different tees, but only the elderly, beginners, or juniors/women will tend to play from the forward tees.

For example, a 430-yard hole is not even a long par four for men, but that's where juniors, women, and even some seniors might play from the red tees as a par five. Most of the men would play from 515 yards or 550 or whatever (as a par five).

So if you have a 340' par three from the white, blue, or gold tees, then keep it a par three from the reds at 165'.

If it's a wide open hole with nothing in the way, then I think that perhaps the red tees could be back to 200' or so, but still, call it a par three and move on. Then aces will still be eagles, and two is still a birdie. Beginners can get more excited.

If it's 165' and open from the blues or golds, you've got a lousy hole.

You're fighting a losing battle here Iacas.

I'm sharing an opinion. If it's the minority opinion, that doesn't mean I've "lost." I'm not trying to convince anyone else, I just like being forced to think about it more and clarify and refine my position. If you're trying to convince me to change my opinion, I'd suggest that you've lost as I've not yet been convinced. :D

I believe two things:

• Par 2 holes are crap holes that need to be redesigned if they're truly that easy for players who belong on those tees.*
  • Disc golf still struggles with the concept of assigning par appropriately. This topic in particular interests me.

* Will Schusterick playing 150' holes wouldn't qualify as "playing from the proper tees." It'd be the same as Tiger playing from the forward tees at the local country club.

I believe two things:

• Par 2 holes are crap holes that need to be redesigned if they're truly that easy for players who belong on those tees.*
  • Disc golf still struggles with the concept of assigning par appropriately.

* Will Schusterick playing 150' holes wouldn't qualify as "playing from the proper tees." It'd be the same as Tiger playing from the forward tees at the local country club.

This is a refined (as you say) version of what you've said here in this thread.

And I agree.

For something to be par two you'd essentially have to be putting from the tee box.

Add some OB to those holes, plant some trees, and make them legit. Nothing wrong with short par threes.

Like this one?

Attachments

• oh%20COME%20ON!.jpg
    oh%20COME%20ON!.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 19
I believe two things:

• Disc golf still struggles with the concept of assigning par appropriately. This topic in particular interests me.

Stated that way, I agree.

Well, I absolutely agree with the 2nd statement. I generally agree with the first, except that the phrase "Par 2" holes is somewhat vague, due to the second statement.

If by Par-2 holes you mean wide-open 150' holes on a blue or gold course, yes.

If it's a 250' hole with several trees, that 1000-rated players nevertheless get in 2 throws 70% of the time, on a blue or gold course, then I would contend it's a Par-2, in practice if not in name. Depending on other factors such as dangerous O.B., I might call it weak, but probably not crap.

Latest posts