• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lemon Lake, Crown Point, IN

All three days were at about 10am.......

turn the courses over to the original/local club??? I am not sure they would be interested anymore.......bridges burned and all.

"pro"shop......last time I was in there I think the PDGA had stuff displayed from HOF in it. It might be Indiana HOF as well.....

Shame no one can see it.....

except for the video surveillance on site.......
Yep, the pro shop will be closed for periods of time this season due to ongoing course maintenance and changes. The phone number is always posted outside the shop in the event folks need maps or service. Current maps are also posted outside the shop doors. Please note that we are in the process of restoring 45+ acres of county property and have a limited staff and a tight time frame to get this restoration effort completed. Target date reopen is September 1, 2017. Maintenance is being done throughout the entire complex as well and not just on Red. There are a number of trees on Blue (16/17/18) that are being removed, trees in common areas, parking lots and in fairways. The Emerald Ash Borer (beetle) has devastated these areas. We have cut and removed more than 600 trees since we began this effort in February 2017. New temporary teepads on Red and Blue and some new permanent concrete 6'x12' pads are being installed on Silver/Gold/Red, new kiosks with new course and park maps and new benches are also being installed. The pro shop is driving this effort. In addition to all of this work, we are gearing up for The 2018 PDGA Tim Selinske United States Masters Disc Golf Championships in May which is requiring a number of course changes as well. The pro shop is restocked this season periodically as open days permit with all the outside work we are doing. And yes, our shop may at times look like a workshop. Tools, baskets, etc. are stored at the pro shop as we move through this maintenance period this year. We are sorry we missed you. Disc Golfers are encouraged to call the shop number when the doors are closed. We're more than happy to drop what we're doing to open up shop!

Many thanks for your great advice. I had hit Fairfield and the Foxes during a visit last summer, but got the Joliet courses, LL, and a host of other area courses as well during this most recent visit. The Canyons was superbly groomed and had some wonderful golf; Highland Park was a bit rougher around the edges but also a great course. What a great area to be a discer!

If you are staying in Chicago, your disc golf priorities should go something like this:

1) Joliet area - The Canyons and Highland Park are an awesome combo. Plenty of other solid courses nearby.

2) Fairfield (Squaw Creek) in Round Lake - 2 Chuck Kennedy designed courses overlaid on top of one another. Gold and White.

3) Lemon Lake - 4 courses in one park. White is the easiest with many short, tightly wooded holes. Red is/was my favorite. Wooded/open, uphill/downhill/flat, long/short. There is/was a good variety of throws here. Apparently the emerald ash borer has redesigned this course since I last played. Blue and Silver/Gold are intended for more skilled players. I find Blue to be too open. Distance and playing the wind are the main challenges. Silver/Gold is challenging/frustrating for most.

4) Day Trip - Sinissippi, Quad Cities, Grey/Red/Silver Fox, etc.

5) Tier 2 Area Courses - There are now plenty of solid 18 hole courses in the Chicago suburbs other than those mentioned above. Hinsdale, Oswego, West Chicago, Streamwood, Palatine, Evergreen Park, Summit and Tinley Park contain more variety than you would think this area has to offer.

6) Nasty Niners - The suburbs are loaded with poorly designed nine hole courses. Maintenance and equipment vary, but disregard for safety is a constant. Many courses have been shoehorned into parks that don't have enough land to keep disc golf separate from other activities.

This list is basically ordered by fun/hour. The Joliet area is great, but it's also #1 due to not being as far from the city/near suburbs as some of the other options. If you are staying in the loop, really good courses will be a long car ride away.

Do any locals know if tee signs are back in at Lemon Lake? I'd like to make another visit, but I'd prefer to avoid explorer-level cartography to find holes and distances.

Do any locals know if tee signs are back in at Lemon Lake? I'd like to make another visit, but I'd prefer to avoid explorer-level cartography to find holes and distances.

Not local, stopped their on my way to Minnesota and played the Silver course and it had signs up. :thmbup:

I believe the Pro Masters had a tourney there early June and they played White and Gold/Silver courses so I assume they had signs back up for them?

The old temp signs were removed yesterday and new temp signs have been ordered. New course redesign plans were submitted to the parks department after US Masters with that plan being approved last week. Work on that plan will begin as early as Fall. Permanent signs won't go in until mid 2019 for all courses. Until then maps are available in and outside the pro shop doors.

The old temp signs were removed yesterday and new temp signs have been ordered. New course redesign plans were submitted to the parks department after US Masters with that plan being approved last week. Work on that plan will begin as early as Fall. Permanent signs won't go in until mid 2019 for all courses. Until then maps are available in and outside the pro shop doors.

Which courses are getting a redesign?

Going to be passing through the area.....

What is the latest on Lemon Lake (courses and "Pro Shop") and the people "running" it?

Passed through yesterday and played red and blue. Possibly saw Chuck Kennedy there, MN plates referencing DG is a clue. The fairways on red are wide open now, they use to woodsy. The pro shop and HOF were locked up.

Passed through yesterday and played red and blue. Possibly saw Chuck Kennedy there, MN plates referencing DG is a clue. The fairways on red are wide open now, they use to woodsy. The pro shop and HOF were locked up.

At last years Selinske's there, red was wide open. I heard they had to take out a bujillion trees, like literally maybe 1,000, due to a disease.

At last years Selinske's there, red was wide open. I heard they had to take out a bujillion trees, like literally maybe 1,000, due to a disease.

It used to be tough to stay in the fairways on red, most tree kicks usually sent me off fairway. Yesterday I think I was 100% in fairway and or putting.

Thought I heard Red got decimated by Ash Borer, but... thanks :confused: for confirming.

Without all those trees, I imagine the Red course feels rather uninteresting, if not pedestrian. Shame, because Red was my 2nd favorite of the four, with Silver being my fave.

I neglected to review them after my 2010 visit, but they definitely left an impression. I loved how each course had it's own personality and feel.
Had I reviewed them at the time, I'd have rated them as follows:

Silver/Gold = 4.5
Red = 4.0
Blue = 3.5
White = 3.0

But Red without trees is like Samson with a haircut. :(

Thought I heard Red got decimated by Ash Borer, but... thanks :confused: for confirming.

Without all those trees, I imagine the Red course feels rather uninteresting, if not pedestrian. Shame, because Red was my 2nd favorite of the four, with Silver being my fave.

I neglected to review them after my 2010 visit, but they definitely left an impression. I loved how each course had it's own personality and feel.
Had I reviewed them at the time, I'd have rated them as follows:

Silver/Gold = 4.5
Red = 4.0
Blue = 3.5
White = 3.0

But Red without trees is like Samson with a haircut. :(

i was out there a couple years ago, and they were just starting to cull the trees. Whomever we spoke to in the "pro shop" (I use the term loosely), stated it was indeed Emerald Ash Borer. :mad: (I hate that bug)

Last time I was there I got confused where we were because it looked like a completely different course :(

Last time I was there I got confused where we were because it looked like a completely different course :(
I'd just run into you guys at Highland, and played LL the next day.

Ha! Yeah that was 9 years ago huh

I was there last year in June. Judging from the pictures on here they had removed a bunch of trees already at that point. I didn't recognize a few of the pictures on here. It was still my 2nd favorite course of the 3 we played (blue and gold being the others). Hopefully silver/gold isn't effected the same way. I'd love to get back there some day though.