• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Lid Lovers

If you're like me and loved the Yikun Claws/Salient Lockjaw but don't like the easily beat upo plastic, word coming through the grapevine is that soon the Lockjaw will be run in Salient's Liquid Metal plastic! Don't know if they'lll be able to control the dome level on these, but here's hoping!

Always nice to wake up from my long disc gold winter's nap and see a fun new lid thread to follow.

Gonna pick up some lil'wizards for fun and kiddos. Would like to try the gateway catch disc as well if I could find one. Had skipped the Claws due to the cruddy plastic. Might try the liquid metal version if it happens. Would be stoked to see an RDG lid. I think stuff like boutique lids is perfect for a company like RDG. Why try to convince Innova to make us something that they can't sell in Sports Authority when we can get something even cooler and support a cool company.

FWIW, I prefer the Polecat to the Rattler. But I like both in their own ways. I've made some fun shots with the Rattler (and the similar-ish Supper Puppy). But the Polecat just suits my game better. I use it for any approach shot I can get away with. Most every round I end up clanging metal from pretty far out and ever couple rounds I have a pretty amazing long basket for birdie to call my own. Nothing like yelling PooooollllllleeeCAT! when you hit from way out. The Rattler feels tougher to get on the line I want and seems to have more of a fade at the end. This may be my throwing style and we're talking matter of degrees here with the fade. They ARE both lids after all. But I like how I cat float the PC in flat when I want to or give it some height if I need a little fade.

That having been said, I bag almost exclusively 150g PCs and don't drive with them. I do keep meaning to take some heavier PCs out and try some field work driving, but I never get around to it.

Finally, I have a really fun ~95g Polecat that takes almost no effort to set sailing. You can float a long way with just a wrist flick. Great for tough spots in the trees on tight courses. But to be honest, I don't bag it when I play. Mostly this is because I'm something of a minimalist on the course and only carry a small bag of 5-6 discs. I'm curious to see if the lil-wizard is anything like the ultra light PC.

Lil Wizard is super cool, but is very different than the ultralight Polecats (my daughter has a 90g Polecat). The Lil Wizard is almost shockingly stable, but doesn't have the greatest glide. Super fun disc for warming up or just throwing around the yard.

If you're like me and loved the Yikun Claws/Salient Lockjaw but don't like the easily beat upo plastic, word coming through the grapevine is that soon the Lockjaw will be run in Salient's Liquid Metal plastic! Don't know if they'lll be able to control the dome level on these, but here's hoping!

This liquid metal, it's like a gummy Champ more or less?

5-6 disc minimalist and still has room for a polecat. You are a true lid lover. I love throwing lids, but between open courses and wind. I don't usually bag one unless I am carrying 18+. I do like to carry a broken in lighter version of my putter or a 150 aviar p&a for lidish duties. I occasionally get buried in a blue spruce and wish I had a lid...

5-6 disc minimalist and still has room for a polecat. You are a true lid lover.

True that.

To be honest, I just counted up and There are currently 8 discs in my bag (extra putter and driver that I don't always carry). But i could reduce my bag down pretty small before I'd get rid of the polecat. I could even see a driver/putter/polecat round. Though I'd feel better if a comet was in there as well.

This liquid metal, it's like a gummy Champ more or less?

Liquid would be more like gummy Champ. Liquid Metal is pretty unique, but it's similar to a firmer Gold Line, but with metal flakes. On the Lockjaw I would imagine it having a little more give/grip due to the size and thinness of the flight plate.

I picked up a new polecat today. This one is sweet, it has some blue in the middle. The lemon lake shop owner looked at me like nobody ever bought one in his life haha. What's the best lid for windy days? Or tips for using lids in the wind.

Attachments

• 20150501_175551.jpg
    20150501_175551.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 47
I picked up a new polecat today. This one is sweet, it has some blue in the middle. The lemon lake shop owner looked at me like nobody ever bought one in his life haha. What's the best lid for windy days? Or tips for using lids in the wind.

Ooh, pretty kitty. :thmbup:

Best lid for windy days. Hmm. Something long the lines of a Birdie or maybe that Kastaplast Berg if it's a lid. Headwinds and lids generally don't get along but you can make do better than some think. Throw with a lot of clean hyzer and the wind won't move it too much unless it's gusty, it usually just moves it up and down a lot.

I propose the coolest lid ever would be something along the lines of a Polecat or Talon made by Vibram. Firm, indestructable, nice and flat or maybe a liiiitle domey. I would call it Mesa. Those are those things in the desert right?

That's admittedly one of the reasons unlike throwing Polecats. Just the wtf factor both at the counter and at the tee is too funny.

Throwing cats in the wind? Throw them level Or hyzer and compensate for turn. Don't know what else to tell ya. When it's bad out, the polecat is a short approach disc, MAYBE. then I'll usually disc up to a xxx or standstill roc. Otherwise it getss all drives and approaches.

Got a 177g Ontario Zephyr the other day. I'm psyched to play catch with it this weekend.

Just avoid little nose up finesse shots into decent headwinds with your Polecat. Those are liable to end up heading backwards.
BroD is right though, the Kitty can perform better than many expect in the wind.

Latest posts