• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long timers: What have you learned?

1. Repetition and muscle memory are real things. Regardless of whether you are doing it right or wrong.

2. Try and only improve 1 thing per season, be OK with slower successful growth.

3. I will never be a Pro, and I am very happy with that.

4. Stay competitive. Just because I will not be a Pro, doesn't mean I have to quit trying to be competitive.

5. Make sure you are never the reason the card has a bad round. TO ALL UP-AND-COMERS, learn this. My motto is, never be the guy no one wants to play with again.

6. Drivers are the most fun, putting is super important, but shots <100' are by far the most critical to my success or failure.

7. Don't always play with your friends, don't always play just for competition. There needs to be a balance.

8. Fieldwork is real.

9. Have your bag prepped, ALWAYS.

10. Water is more important on long, hot tournaments than extra discs. You may lose a stroke bc you didn't have the right disc, but you won't lose your game.

11. Be coachable, but don't listen to *******s.

12. If you are playing and there are kids around, act like a mature adult/parent, not a dumb frisbee boy.

13. Smile at people, compliment their game (regardless of how good or bad it is), and invite them to play sometime.

14. Take your wife out and STFU!

15. Always watch for poison ivy.

16. You don't have to pick up trash, but don't litter.

17. Playing for money is always better than not, even if you lose.

18. Know the rules, but only bring them out if there are grievous errors or questions.

19. Smooth>Fast and powerful

20. Talk about things other than disc.

1. My time is limited. I can spend my disc golf time practicing putting. Or I can play and be a poor putter. I choose to play.

2. I play for my enjoyment and my enjoyment only. Wouldn't you know? It's more fun that way.

Don't ever throw more than 80 percent. ever. Follow thru will help reduce injuries. Use your big muscles hip, legs and triceps. That will help some with keeping stress off your shoulder.

And most importantly I have learned that I need to listen to my own advice and the veterans around me more.

As someone that is over 50 and has played a long time this is great advice. Good form doesn't hurt your body. I'd add remember to choose the disc that makes the shot you are attempting easy to do. People choose the wrong disc all the time and work way too hard.

As I age and decline, it's harder to cover for bad form with athleticism.

And, at the same time, harder to work out the bad form.

Take what you said here, add some old sports injuries that you start to feel again, throw in a triple bypass along with a torn up left leg used to get a vein out for the grafts, turning 60 in a few months and it's a wonder I can actually throw 270' to 280' max on a good day! I disc with guys mostly 30 years younger than myself who have been playing for far more years than me and I am able to say that at least I can compete with them thru the front 9 anyway. Recently bought myself a MVP Black Hole Pro basket so I can work at least on my putting and I figure that ought to take a few strokes off my total this year. I wish this game had been around my area back when I was in my 20's!!:wall:

Take what you said here, add some old sports injuries that you start to feel again, throw in a triple bypass along with a torn up left leg used to get a vein out for the grafts, turning 60 in a few months and it's a wonder I can actually throw 270' to 280' max on a good day! I disc with guys mostly 30 years younger than myself who have been playing for far more years than me and I am able to say that at least I can compete with them thru the front 9 anyway. Recently bought myself a MVP Black Hole Pro basket so I can work at least on my putting and I figure that ought to take a few strokes off my total this year. I wish this game had been around my area back when I was in my 20's!!:wall:

Most of that for me. Except the bypass.

And that I've been playing a long time---I started in the mid-90s---but still missed the chance to start as a kid. Over the past half-dozen years my distance has declined; I lost of chunk of it when I returned from my latest health issues, and don't seem to be recovering it.

But what I meant is that I know my form is flawed. I feel it. People point it out to me. The discs' flights confirm it. I have about 13 flaws in my motion, and can only corral about 8 of them at any one time. Though my distance was never great, when younger I was able to reach a good many holes that I can't now, so bad form didn't matter as much; my form was good enough. Now the combination of age and injuries and bad form have shortened my distance; I can't do much about the first two, so I need to fix the form to make up for them. And at this point, it ain't easy.

The most important thing that I've learned... Even if you're having a bad round, you're out playing disc golf and it's fun. Letting a bad round get you down misses the point of playing in the first place.

It was quite the epiphany when I came to this realization. I used to get all torn up about missed putts, shanks, and the like. One day it occurred to me that if I get so upset by an activity that is 100% voluntary, what possible chance do I have to deal with any real life adversity?

I have since flipped my behavior totally. I enjoy good shots and bad shots and just simply partaking in the activity. This approach has extended to other areas of my life as well. After all, it's over before we know it and I'd rather enjoy my time here.

Last edited:
Stay positive don't be disgustingly happy but continually talk yourself and partner up... play every stroke like it's never over. It isn't a crappy drive, it is a chance for an awesome birdie.

I can't count how many times I've thought I'm out of the running only to find out we were in the top three. I actually won the three disc course tournament here the Triple Crown, came in wet and angry about all the strokes I had dropped and won it by one. I dropped a lot of strokes in last 5 holes too from bad weather, slow play and eventually bad mood/ mojo. I'm glad I won but I still regret my mood and resentment towards my slow playing friend in my group.

What I learned, consistent distance, especially later in the round, does not come from strength, but form that does not stress the body. With everybody's body being different, I do not think there is any one right way to throw - albeit there are definitely lots of wrong ways to throw. For me, slow to explosive works best, and I usually have no run-up, just three steps and let it rip for 380-420 feet. It is not about my arm strength, but how coordinated I am through legs, up through my core, my shoulder, and then my wrist.

As for scoring or complete rounds, better to throw more shots meaning to hit that bottom end of my max distance (380-400) and work on accuracy then go all in trying to be a hero. It is amazing how many courses start with big holes and then finish with 18 but a memorable monster; they are trying to make a statement. Additionally, there are a lot of holes in my local area where I can reach them with putters or mids (and I know this because I routinely empty the bag during practice when I get the chance), but sometimes it is just better to back-off and throw a fairway driver. Save that big drive for your last throw of the day.

Finally, the last thing I learned involves putting. Putting is everything, and the rest of my game is dictated by how well I am putting. For years, if my putting was off, I would put more stress on hitting the perfect drive. I would hit some of those drives, but that is also the time when bad things happen. So I would often find myself swapping birdies and bogeys. However, on days where my putting was decent, I would feel confident that I could save par from no matter what I threw off the tee. That allowed me to be more relaxed, and while I would have fewer hero runs, being more relaxed on the tee increases the odds that I hit the lines I want, which, in the end, increases the number of birdies I got and decreased bogeys or worse. I will never be a great putter, but I am better at making those 15-22 foot putts, and having that confidence, all I truly need to make sure I have dialed in are my second shots if I am not able to park it. If I can put my second shots within 15 feet, I feel more confident on the tee that as long as my drive puts me in a position so that I can make my second shot to that 15 foot circle, again, I am more relaxed and likely hit the line that will give me a birdie chance. - So, I find approach practice far more beneficial than putting practice. And I also find that my approach disc is my most crucial disc I own. Run now I am running Star Aviar3, Star AviarX3, and Gold Line Pures.

Putt and approach. Throughout my millennium of throwing plastic, I've become efficient at up shots, and that was a great tool until one day I figured out that I was terrible at putting. So, I took some lessons from yoga, and incorporated breathing into my putting regiment. I will take long, deep breaths, exhale through the mouth, then putt as I am getting ready to inhale the next breath (hell, I've started doing this on my drives). It is not for everyone, but it relaxes me, and gives me time to focus on the link I have chosen. Now, I am not a perfect putter, but it is a much stronger aspect of my game, and I can depend on it with my quality up shots.

Disc selection is another objective that I have tried to calm down on. In the last five years, the amount of available discs incur market has become unworldly, but you have to know what you can, and more importantly, cannot throw. My core is weak (hello DAD-Bod!), therefore my arm speed is not very fast. I cannot throw 13-14 speed discs, and I do not even try. If I am curious about one, I will field test a buddies disc, but more often then not, the disc will become dumpy, and all of a sudden I have 200' Westside World throw. The fastest disc I huck is a destroyer, but that is reserved for head winds or something that I 100% need to hyzer.

In line w/knowing your disc selection, know when to throw your discs. I throw with a bunch of younger guns, and they can often huck their putters and mids just as far as I can throw an OLS or River. I used to think that since they were throwing a mid, well hell, so should I. Suck it up, throw to your strength, collect your par (maybe birdie) and move on to the next tee pad.

Last one is patience. Bad shot? We've all had 'em, but do not be a hero and go for that 11" gap in between two tree branches. It is so frustrating pitching out into a safe lie 'cuz it is a stroke that you have been afforded from a cruddy drive, but it is better than losing two strokes when trying to get up and down in an impossible situation. In driving, patience goes back to knowing your discs and reading the terrain along w/mother nature. Know your surroundings, read the fairway, and keep it calm. At the end of the round, we are all turning in our cards at the same time. Just try and not be the guy who is DFL on your card.

I started playing in the late 90s, then lost interest until about 6 years ago. Since then I have played casually and only really started trying to better myself over the last 3 years or so.

Biggest thing in all that time I have come to learn: there is a ceiling to progression without concerted practice efforts.

A person can have great fun playing this game, casually with friends, throwing 250' with whatever disc they want. It's fun! But if you want to lower scores, throw farther, be more accurate, putt better, all those things require practice. Not just playing more, but practicing specific things. Drills for distance, repetition for accuracy, putting a ton.

If you are happy throwing a destroyer with all your might 250' and 3 putting, them have at it! If it's fun, do it! But if you want to throw a 350' laser with a roc then sink that 60' putt on occasion, better get to the practice field.

The most important thing I've learned is manners matter. I find that the better I treat people the more likely they are to impart wisdom on me and to tell me a joke that makes me laugh while playing. That and to read the arm extension threads by BW and SW. Just sayin'.