• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for old utimate players input on discs

jeffboi

Bogey Member
Hi,
I have been throwing discs for 40 years. I played ultimate at very high (nationals caliber) levels. I just started playing DG about 4 months ago and I am making progress (averaging 2-6 over on a tough course with water on 12 holes), but I can't seem to master the straight throw.

I have lots of different throws with my most powerful being a RHFH. I can throw a lid 250 feet, so I don't think power is the issue. I stated with DX plastic and found it very inconsistent. Now I am playing mostly championship plastic and some star stuff for the approaches.

I bought a champ leopard and it faded right for the first few days, then went straight for a few days, and now it turns over and goes left. How do get a disc to go consistently straight? I have tried lots of different discs and I can't seem to master the straight throw. Help :)

Being able to keep a disc level and straight through it's entire flight takes a good deal of practice.

I've found that it's actually easier to throw straight with a backhand than a forehand.

You can't go wrong with a Comet. As an ultimate player, you'll find it's flight to be very familiar. It's a bit finicky, but when you get it right, you can hit some really nice lines with it.

Thanks Brad! I appreciate the help. I noticed there are a number of different Comet discs - is one better then the other. The course I play is highly technical and lots of impact with trees thus far ... Thanks again!

Level through the throw was my first thought. I would bet you are dropping your wrist or leaning into the throw or both. I had/have the same issue. I didn't play Ulitmate, but started playing DG in the late 70's with lids and then with the early Dx discs. Unless you bought new ones every week, they broke in and you adjusted your throw to hyzer flip it to simply make them go straight. Muscle memory takes over after that and it can be a tough nut to crack, trust me.

You can video your drives and see what you see or post here and get critiques. Or, you can search for that magic disc that will straighten up everything and compensate for flaws. Avery Jenkins commented on my drive at a clinic recently telling me I have been doing some things wrong so long, it may not be possible to completely correct all of them. :\ So, he suggested looking for the things I can change and work on them to improve. Start small and simple and gradually work up. Eventually, it should all come together.

The Comet is a known form tester as are lots of Lat 64 discs. You could also try dialing back on the power some and see if that helps. I have a bud that throws great when he backs off, but flips the unflippable when he tries to kill it.

Thanks Brad! I appreciate the help. I noticed there are a number of different Comet discs - is one better then the other. The course I play is highly technical and lots of impact with trees thus far ... Thanks again!

A Z Comet will be the easiest to get ahold of and will hold up well to impact.

Have you ever thrown a polecat? Im not sure there is a straighter disc you can buy off the shelf and will have a similar ultimate disc feel as its a lid but smaller diameter and very stable so it doesn't turn or fade unless you make it fly that way. Very fun disc for up shots, putts, and drives on tight wooded courses.

IMO technique is first and foremost, but so is throwing the correct disc. For example, some people can throw a fresh Teebird perfectly straight with no fade. I can't. Because I lack the ability to throw it fast/far enough to perform like that. So if I want a straight flight I need to use a disc that I am capable of getting up to the correct speed. For me that is mids and slower neutral fariway drivers. Or even a putter on a shorter hole. And try to find discs that you cans tick with, and learn. If you are changing discs constantly it can be hard to get to the point where you can manipulate their flights how you'd like.

I grew up throwing discs and started playing Ultimate at 15 and played in college at VaTech. At 30yrs old I started playing disc golf. You should be able to adapt fairly quickly to all discs as long as you throw over your opposite arm and not under it with BH drives. I always threw FH with a one finger grip so changing to golf discs was actually easier.

Latest posts