• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Looking for opinions on fairway drivers

I would recommend a Innova TL. The TL is my most understable disc in my TL > Crave > Teebird setup. Excellent disc to hyzerflip straight.

G star FD mid 160's Pro Leopard and maybe max weight eagle X. I think you'd get a lot out of those 3

I too am pretty new to the game, but I'm an older guy. I first just started buying discs, drivers, mid-ranges, and then I just happened to buy a DX Teebird 157g, and that thing just clicked for me. I now own several Teebirds, but my favorites are my DX 157g and a Star 162g. I'm now playing exclusively with my Teebirds and a Aviar 175g for putting.

This is it.

I'm convinced that just sticking with a putter and a reliable disc like the teebird is a pretty good way to improve quickly. Having a bag full of distance drivers hurts in a lot of cases more than it helps.

I like Innova's fairways, I think they are the best in the game. I never clicked with the Leopard but I threw DX Eagles and TeeBirds for a long time. Now I throw Champion and Star TeeBirds and Eagles.

Any of these molds would be a solid option for a newer player, but I imagine you won't see a ton of extra distance between them and your Ibex or Mako at this point.

Innova Leopard - Pro glides the best
Innova Cheetah
Discmania FD - S-Line
Discraft Stalker
Discraft Cyclone
Discraft XL
Discraft Zombee
Latitude 64 Diamond - Opto
Westside Underworld - Tournament
Millennium Polaris LS
Millennium JLS
Legacy Patriot - Excel
Legacy Phenom (at least it sounds like it'd work)
MVP Switch - Neutron (Streets is right in that it needs a good amount of snap to turn easily, but it's a nice mold and is forgiving enough to not fly poorly with little snap)

Lots of good suggestions so far, but at your distance, nothing is going to fly very true to its intended flight.

My suggestion is a DX Gazelle and a DX Eagle "X". Beat the snot out of them, throw them alot and the Gazelle will be lazer straight and the Eagle will just get longer, straighter and better. I wouldn't go down the understable disc rabbit hole too far in the quest for distance, in the end, it's going to hurt more than help. A Leopard is a good option for the understable slot, get one and call it good.

Try putting the drivers away until you can hit 300ft with those types of fairways. Honestly, your drivers aren't doing much to help you learn. Practice with them if you want, but leave them home when you play a round.

Last edited:
Champion TeeBirds, all the live long day. Good enough for The Champ, good enough for the rest of us.

And when/if you start turning it around and throwing forehand, pick up a Champion Firebird for that.

I throw similar distances to you. Of the control drivers I've actually thrown or own, here's my $0.02:

I have a Factory Second Star Leopard that throws really well for me. Unfortunately it got caught up between my Mids and my TL. But it's a great disc.

Speaking of the TL, that is my favorite control driver. The Teebird is an awesome disc but it has more fade than I like, and the Star TL just flies beautifully for me. I would recommend this disc very strongly.

The Valkyrie is on the upper end of the control driver range, but in a heavier weight it's an awesome control driver. Can't beat it as a distance driver either, if you're looking to kill two birds with one disc... er stone.

The MVP Amp is also a great control driver for me. Great straight line flight, touch of fade at the end, good in the woods.

I havent tried the River, Switch or Servo, but I hear tell they are very good discs in this range.

I recommend the Westside Underworld in VIP plastic. It flies like a broken in DX Leopard. Best disc EU IMO.

I would suggest running:

aviar/R3/leopard/RR/Thunderbird.

All of these molds reward/teach good form, I could see myself shooting well with that setup.

I understand that your post is fairway specific, but mold minimalism can really help progress.