• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Magnets if you use them which ones and how

I'll drift. I've seen a Roach, ran an Ace Race with them a few years ago. Have not really thrown one. Why would it be comparable to a lid-style putter like a Rattler or Super Puppy?

At least people can agree that the Birdie is not a true lid due to its thumbtrack grove. Roach is not quite a lid being how shallow it is but is more so then the disc I just mentioned. Pole cat is like a Putt'r just the Putt'r is made in only in one plastic now and is not for everybody just for that reason. Pole Cat is made in R-Pro as well as DX so both choices are avalible.

If one wants a driving Magnet they should get a Innova Hydra as it is more stable like a Challenger type disc but less low speed dump at the end.

I have a couple Champ Polecats. They are OK; they really don't glide like a DX Polecat.

I'm still not following why the Roach is in this conversation. Do you mean Rattler? The Rattler is a lid. Roach is just a beadless beveled putter, isn't it? At least during the Ace Race it was.

I have a couple Champ Polecats. They are OK; they really don't glide like a DX Polecat.

I'm still not following why the Roach is in this conversation. Do you mean Rattler? The Rattler is a lid. Roach is just a beadless beveled putter, isn't it? At least during the Ace Race it was.

Roach is a Lid style disc just so low of one I imagine it to fly like a hard D Magnet when broken in.

So it was retooled into a lid after the Ace Race?

Yes! Dumb disc for me that is as I with tiny hands feel I can't grip the disc, that low of a profile. I was asking if they made the Putt'r now in something other then the Elite X and everybody was trying to get me on here and else was suggesting this odd off feeling disc. I am not even sure if Discraft got the Ace Race Version approved for PDGA use, never even shows up on PDGA site.

Yes! Dumb disc for me that is as I with tiny hands feel I can't grip the disc, that low of a profile. I was asking if they made the Putt'r now in something other then the Elite X and everybody was trying to get me on here and else was suggesting this odd off feeling disc. I am not even sure if Discraft got the Ace Race Version approved for PDGA use, never even shows up on PDGA site.
So I have not seen or held a Roach since the Ace Race, but I found the video showing it in Jawbreaker plastic, so these are post-Ace Race discs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84rXOJ-XY_0

About 10 second in he grips the disc and you can see the profile. It still looks like your run-of-the-mill beveled putter rim. It doesn't look at all like a lid.

So I have not seen or held a Roach since the Ace Race, but I found the video showing it in Jawbreaker plastic, so these are post-Ace Race discs:

About 10 second in he grips the disc and you can see the profile. It still looks like your run-of-the-mill beveled putter rim. It doesn't look at all like a lid.

It's not a lid, I have no idea where he gets the idea that it is.

You can get polecats in champ and xt as well. I'm still really tempted to get a champ one... soooo tempted.

Also, Gstar.

Based on everyone's descriptions of the Champ versions, I've never looked for one.
The XT and Gstar are okay, but this disc is just best in DX.
By all means grab a champ if you want, but every time I try another plastic I go back to DX.

There were two Champ Polecat runs. The first one was sold as X-outs; somebody must have been on their first day trimming flashing and goobered the entire run. The second one was in Jolly Launcher. I have one from both and the Jolly Launcher one is in my bag for unspecified reasons. I threw it a couple times this morning. When you throw the little spin upshot with it, it's a little too stable and doesn't hook up. It kinda/sorta does, but it fades out of it instead of gliding out. Since that little spin upshot is really all I use a lid for, it makes the Champ Polecat kinda/sorta useless to me. Which leads to the question of why it is in my bag, which I honestly have no answer to other than it's weird.

There were two Champ Polecat runs. The first one was sold as X-outs; somebody must have been on their first day trimming flashing and goobered the entire run. The second one was in Jolly Launcher. I have one from both and the Jolly Launcher one is in my bag for unspecified reasons. I threw it a couple times this morning. When you throw the little spin upshot with it, it's a little too stable and doesn't hook up. It kinda/sorta does, but it fades out of it instead of gliding out. Since that little spin upshot is really all I use a lid for, it makes the Champ Polecat kinda/sorta useless to me. Which leads to the question of why it is in my bag, which I honestly have no answer to other than it's weird.

I understand, I have a U-2 for the same uphill and downhill putting only, they are too top warped to use as a driving putter now you have to be pro good with throwing smoothly too have the disc fly right.

I hope to bring my new Pack for disc golf to a family Reunion vacation this summer in Winnona Minnesota 2 great disc golf courses one I need to play again as it is modified the St.Mary's college one since I played that in 2009 and the one old one from 1986 with original Mach II baskets, I want to show mine off to a cousin and uncle though the uncle probably would not get one. Cousin might once his old style Innova Hero Pack fails and it will sooner then the new one's. If nothing else I want the cousin if there to see my Jawbreaker Magnets modified to work for me with a Sharpie. Putting ring part of the stamp of the D Magnets on them and labeling one putter and the other approach for approach putting and hazard obstacle putts. He told me that I can put the Ring of the stamp on the Jawbreaker, I wanted them but needed that ring stamp as I use that to place thumb when Putting with the Magnet.

Then why were people trying to get me to use a Roach Saying it was a Putt'r lid style disc that they use? I even saw one and it was garbage lid looking disc in the store, in ESP and then a Big Z version as well.

I might get a Roach too replace my U-2 and have a driving putter again, one in Big Z or Elite Z whatever is easier to get. The Jawbreaker Magnets can do uphill and downhill putting well enough.

Just cuz they fly the same doesn't mean they have the same type of shape.

When I think lids, discs like the Birdie, Rattler, and the Putt'r come to mind. However it flies, I wouldn't call the Roach a lid. Looks and feels like a typical DG putter.

If you want a driving Magnet, try a Titanic. It's a taller Magnet molded for DGA by Discraft. It even has "MAGNET" on the inner rim.

I putted with Magnets for a while. Then I didn't. Then I used a Titanic as my driving putter. Now I putt and drive with a Titanic.