• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mea Culpa

TeeDoubleU

Yesterday a course I've volunteered to work on received a critical review that I found to be biased and biting from someone in the same community. I was frustrated that the reviewer created an account simply to leave negative feedback, and I didn't like the reviewers unreasonable remarks given that the course has only been open for two weeks and isn't complete.
HOWEVER, rather than responding with class, I fired off a grouchy message. He shot back and we exchanged nastygrams. While I maintain that I had every right to be offended at the initial remarks; I didn't have the right to respond like a huge jerk. When I went back and read the conversation again, it became immediately clear to me that I was out of line so I wrote an apology that laid out what I'd done wrong, but by the time I sent it the other user had blocked all personal messages.
So, this is my attempt to offer an apology in a way that the other member will hopefully notice.
I'm sorry I treated you with disrespect. I won't do it again.

Apology threads are starting to become as prevalent as Roc vs Buzzz threads.

OP, I hope you work things out with the reviewer.

Whatever hapened to pissing someone off and being glad you did?
Maybe we're finally becoming a kinder, gentler nation?

Probably not.

Just my two cents, but if a course isn't reasonably completed yet where it is ready to play (and I honestly don't know how far along the one in question here is) then it probably shouldn't have a listing until it is. Once it has a listing, it is open season when it comes to reviews. Now, that being said, I do wish reviewers here would restrain themselves from reviewing courses that they know damned well when they play them are obviously a work in progress.

I went up to the Kansas City area last week. Played a brand new nine holer in a small town. There were baskets in the ground, and there was an online course map on here for it (which I did not have), but there were no physical markings for tees at the course. To me, if you don't have starting points for your holes, then you don't have holes. You have nine baskets in the ground, not a course. I played the course as best as I could recollect the map, (and upon just looking at the map realized that I did some of it wrong).

Now, I could have written a scathing review, but having played many work in progress courses before, I know things don't install themselves overnight, and in most cases, things eventually get better. So I've opted to not post a review when I see one of these. In this case though, three other people already have. They all live relatively close, so I hope they visit again and update things, but as we all know, that doesn't always happen.

Just my two cents, but if a course isn't reasonably completed yet where it is ready to play (and I honestly don't know how far along the one in question here is) then it probably shouldn't have a listing until it is....
I agree with this sentiment, however, until adding a course is limited to only the designer/contact/spokesperson/anyone involved and not just anybody that feels like it, this is unreasonable to expect.

It is possible to open a course so folks can come play, but keep it blocked for reviews until the designer gives the go-ahead. That's what happened with Osage Grove. You can't always deny folks the opportunity to list a new course, but it would be good form to get consent from the folks who might have spent a year or two getting it ready to play.

When I review a course thats not quite complete, I always state this in my review, and reserve the right to edit my review as the course matures.

When I review a course thats not quite complete, I always state this in my review, and reserve the right to edit my review as the course matures.

2nd this emotion.

Latest posts