• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mediocrefellow's Woods Bag - Should I substitute anything?

Mediocrefellow

Par Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 4 months daily (9-45+ holes/day)
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH/RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: aviar: 230'/260; panther: 250/280'; archer: 275/300'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: none
Other sport proficiencies?: Baseball (sidearm pitcher)
Additional Information: Home course - Hinton, AB Canada - Tightly wooded/technical - Short holes mostly < 350'
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: It's not very heavy to hike up mountains with/Sometimes feel I had a better disc for a situation at home
Specific areas of desired feedback: Thoughts on things to add/subtract/substitute as I have a lot more plastic and I'm still auditioning things
Immediate and long-term goals: Finding the molds that I can do the most with and carrying as little as possible without limiting shots

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
170 Big Z Archer (beat) - Long turnover
170 X Heat (beat) - Tailwind/Uphill
170 Big Z Nuke (new) - Consistently straight distance on the 1 long open 500' hole with usual moderate headwind

Mids:
174 Z FLX Buzzz SS, (new) - Driving/low lines off the tee
172 X Orange Comet (beat) - US duties - turnovers and touch shots
Max wt X Blue Comet (new) - Standing drives (no x-step)
170 Champion Panther (slightly beat) - Roller/FH
174 Z Buzzz OS (new) - FH flex/wind/powered hyzers

Putting Putter:
170 Jawbreaker Zone (beat to straight)
175 G* Aviar (new)

Throwing Putters:
172 X Soft Challenger (beat to puddletop)
174 Z FLX Challenger (new)
169 Jawbreaker Banger GT (beat to hell)
174 Z FLX Zone (new)

Potential subs:

Mids: G* Mako3, Z Meteor, ESP Buzzz, ESP Buzzz SS, Z Wasp

Drivers: Big Z Sting, G* Leopard3, X Avenger, Z Avenger, Z first run Vulture, Beat ESP Predator, Beat Z Surge SS, Big Z Thrasher, Very Beat X Force, G* Tern, Champ Destroyer.

Always glad to see the Panther in people's bags. :thmbup:

The G* Aviar P&A is the only disc in GStar plastic that I recommend, so that's good, too.

Good bag, overall. My only suggestion is to look into an overstable disc for windy days or if you need a hyzer shot to get around trees, etc. Zone (fresh), Harp, AviarX3 for putter/approaches. Banshee, Exodus, overstable Teebird (like the Jen Allen CG Teebird), Discraft's equivalent for longer throws, can power down for accuracy in the woods...

Last edited:
Always glad to see the Panther in people's bags. :thmbup:

I know the bag is a bit mid-heavy but my home course is short, tight, and unforgiving so mids off the tee and putters for everything else is the best way to have any hope for par. One bad throw with a driver could put you far enough into the dense forest to turn your par run into an immediate +4 so despite a bit of overlap the panther is the disc I pull out for anything requiring a complicated line.

Honestly I started out with a z glo meteor in the US-mid slot which I still have and love for night rounds but I find the panther to have as much or more sneaky distance to it but is way more reliable and versatile. I can make it do almost anything where the meteor only does hyzer flip -> straight and will burn to the ground if it's overpowered or given just a bit of OAT (and NEVER fights out of even the smallest bit of HS turn). I can FH hyzer flip a panther and use OAT instead of excessive armspeed to turn it over from controllable standing throw without it burning and even have it fight back out to a slight fade if I'm dialed in just right. Great for those double dogleg "S" shaped fairways through the trees my home course has. Worst case it turns all the way over and rolls around the second dogleg so it's win-win lol.

I honestly don't know why the panther is not more popular, I lucked into finding one locally but I don't know a single other person who bags one or is even aware of it. Sad.

And I agree with you about the Zone. My Zones are my workhorses. I putt everything inside the circle with a jawbreaker zone with my FLX for sharp turns, upshots, and will usually run at the chains FH or on an anny-flex line. If I need a straight tunnel though it's a Z FLX Challenger on a hyzer flip (I also have a taco'd Jawbreaker Chally OS that lasted until the second hole before hitting a tree and becoming a laser straight zero-fade anomaly) I actually added the beat Jawbreaker Banger GT as well. Nothing does a long downhill right turn like it. It's beautiful to watch. Like a slower comet with less fade. Unreal.

Any putter or mid recommendations would be appreciated as you can see the extent of my disc exposure above. Really wanting to try some Lat 64 plastic especially.

...but I find the panther to have as much or more sneaky distance to it but is way more reliable and versatile. I can make it do almost anything where the meteor only does hyzer flip -> straight and will burn to the ground if it's overpowered or given just a bit of OAT (and NEVER fights out of even the smallest bit of HS turn). I can FH hyzer flip a panther and use OAT instead of excessive armspeed to turn it over from controllable standing throw without it burning and even have it fight back out to a slight fade if I'm dialed in just right. Great for those double dogleg "S" shaped fairways through the trees my home course has. Worst case it turns all the way over and rolls around the second dogleg so it's win-win lol.

I honestly don't know why the panther is not more popular, I lucked into finding one locally but I don't know a single other person who bags one or is even aware of it.

You do now. :hfive: The Panther is a staple of my bag. In addition to using it for normal midrange duties, it's my go-to forehand approach disc and utility 'get out of jail' disc, throwing thumbers, spike hyzers, and rollers.

Panthers come in the Champion plastic starter set, so I agree that it's somewhat surprising we don't see more of them.

Any putter or mid recommendations would be appreciated as you can see the extent of my disc exposure above. Really wanting to try some Lat 64 plastic especially.

I putt with the DD Classic Marshal, and I just started using the understable Patrol midrange disc. For Lat64, you might look at the Pure as a very straight putter, the Dagger as a bit more stable putter, and the Sinus as a good bit more overstable putter.

Honestly I started out with a z glo meteor in the US-mid slot which I still have and love for night rounds but I find the panther to have as much or more sneaky distance to it but is way more reliable and versatile. I can make it do almost anything where the meteor only does hyzer flip -> straight and will burn to the ground if it's overpowered or given just a bit of OAT

Hey man say hi to Kofax for me.....

Glow rounds... consider a glow Z Comet I'm real happy with mine..

I can't really give you any tips on Lat 64 putters but as you can tell from my name I'm biased.. But given that you bag a Buzzz and Zone if you tripped across an Envy it might be worth a try.

Hey man say hi to Kofax for me.....

Glow rounds... consider a glow Z Comet I'm real happy with mine..

If I could only use one disc for a round it would likely be a max weight x comet or a g* mako3 but I prefer my Z glo meteor to my elite Z so Im sure the glo comets are $$$. I lost a beat orange 172ish comet in a tree yesterday on the first hole due to some nose-up laziness.. It was also my first comet lol I remember not liking the initial feel and diameter of it but after one throw I was mesmerized and played the rest of the 9 just using it to see what it can do...

It does most things, I found out :)

Right on man good luck sorting out the bag. They do make Eclipse (glow) Envys now... but your bag looks pretty solid. Other than the Comet I'm really an MVP guy these days.. Except glow rounds then out comes the Nuke..

If you do see Kovachs again.. I'm Mike from Pender..

I have been throwing my JL champ Beast lately because even though I can get a good flight out of a nuke and destroyers the beast was always just hyzering out early.

I don't know what happened on this one throw but it out shot my crank, shryke, mamba, surge SS and daedalus on a hyzer line somehow..

Is this a finicky disc or have I just been cinsistently nose up with it except for ONE time.

That thing sailed...

It's an excellent distance driver... if I remember right there's an X and L style bottom.. I had a Beast L that bombed.. Just a very good distance driver for reasonable power but you need to be in the 300+ wheelhouse to get it going. Then again I know a guy that throws it for every shot even putts.. And another older guy that throws it 400 easy

Well, I finally got my hands on some MVP/Axiom overmold discs... Wow...

Thinking of a bag setup like this:

Putting - Anode
Driving Putter - Envy
Mid - Tangent / Entropy
Fairway - Volt / Amp
Control Distance - Tangent / Inertia
Max Distance - Excite

Thoughts? I'm not TOO familiar with the lineups so suggestions are welcome.

Putting - Anode
Driving Putter - Envy
Mid - Tangent / Entropy
Fairway - Volt / Amp
Max Distance - Excite

Looks real good man.. I'd be thinking about a Relay.. That's an awful lot like my bag, mine drops Amp and Anode for Spin and Excite for Mayhem.. If Tangent is stable you can avoid the Spin with a Vertex and it would complement the Anode / Tangent well.. Vertex is a 5% Er disc.

I also prefer Crave over Volt but that's me... and for that matter I'm in the 5% that throw a Switch.

Have a vertex on the way actually as well as a vanish since I love the flippier TERNS Ive had. I won a lat 64 zion that Im thinking will replace my predators but not sure that will ever happen lol

Putting - Anode
Driving Putter - Envy
Mid - Tangent / Entropy
Fairway - Volt / Amp
Max Distance - Excite

Also that should be a Tesla in the Control Driver spot, not Inertia again lol

Just need a solid max dist OS driver to complement the Excite / Vanish for those windy ones I think and it should be all rounded out. Any recommendations?

Putting - Anode
Driving Putter - Envy
Mid - Tangent / Entropy
Fairway - Volt / Amp
Max Distance - Excite

Nice setup. I have and like the Envy, Tangent, Amp, and Inertia. I have and don't like the Anode; when I take an all-MVP/Axiom bag to the course, I putt with the Proxy. The Volt is a good disc; I need to acquire one.

Looks real good man.. I'd be thinking about a Relay.. That's an awful lot like my bag, mine drops Amp and Anode for Spin and Excite for Mayhem.. If Tangent is stable you can avoid the Spin with a Vertex and it would complement the Anode / Tangent well.. Vertex is a 5% Er disc.

I also prefer Crave over Volt but that's me... and for that matter I'm in the 5% that throw a Switch.

Im torn between a vertex and a theory. Thoughts? Also a wind-fighter Wide rim speed 11-14.

Im torn between a vertex and a theory. Thoughts? Also a wind-fighter Wide rim speed 11-14.

Thats a tough call... I didn't get on with my theory very well.. It was alright but nothing my Tangent/ Comet combo couldn't do. I have a 174 and 179 Vertex I wouldn't go lighter... I also have about 5 Tangents in various wear so I didn't need the theory.. For that matter I'm not really bagging the Vertex right now either but I do like it. I'm double bagging Spins, Envys, Switches, Inertias and Relays for practice..

Latest posts