• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mediocrefellow's Woods Bag - Should I substitute anything?

Well if you want something like a Wraith but better in 155 check out a Photon fission... everything you thought you wanted for a light weight FB, Flick 150 etc but more manageable.. Tesla kind of flight I'm told.. I hope you're getting some overtime cash or 5% nightshift premium.

Yeah, 96 hour core/flex Paramedic shifts with a 1st up time of midnight to noon has kinda messed up my circadian rhythm lol

I've been seeing photon in fission mentioned a lot, and the stores I can access didn't have any fission plastic to check out but I'm certinaly intrigued by it. Don't know much abou the mold either, what is it like an 11 5 -1 3 or 2 or something? I can look this information up on my own, disregard..

Well if you didn't look it up its a speed 11 5 -1 2.5 so you're right on the money! It's in the Wave class for rim size. I don't know if you bag anything in 150's but it's a fairly stable disc for that weight. I don't think I have the power to get a regular one going.. But I bag a 143.. I don't think I throw as far as you... it's so light moderate wind is a bit of an issue but it eats a breeze and is a great distance driver for me uphill.

Fission is an ultralight inside core... so the heavier is is the more weight is on the outside overmold. Its also a little more flexible than neutron plastic. There was talk about some of the newer runs and wondering if they were better than second runs.. It's a unique disc for the weight. Your Tesla is probably covering the same shots..

Last edited:
Don't bother with the Tensor.. It's crap haha.. MVP has really cropped themselves on OS mids, hence the Entropy/ Deflector. I think the Alias or Matrix is a good solid mid.. I haven't thrown either but I just had a Matrix show up. Actually I did throw one of a buddy's a few times. Buzzz kinda stable maybe a touch more.. Buy it or anything before a Tensor. An Axis is good too, think Buzzz/ stable Comet hybrid. An Axis breaks into a Tangent flight +25'...

MVP putting tip try just a touch of hyzer it will stick more often. Yeah putters are tough to iron out, start with what feels good in the hand... eliminate anything that doesnt.

Oops just realized my mistake. I meant Vector as it hasn't yet arrived.

Neither has the Vanish. Think there will be room for a ptoton vanish and a neutron virus? I only know how the virus flys at the moment and I could use a day in the field to figure it out honestly.

Oops just realized my mistake. I meant Vector as it hasn't yet arrived.

Neither has the Vanish. Think there will be room for a ptoton vanish and a neutron virus? I only know how the virus flys at the moment and I could use a day in the field to figure it out honestly.

That's a relief haha. I can't think of a disc more disliked than the Tensor...

I haven't thrown a Virus.. The Vanish is a good tippy for me... it's usually two weeks from US.. My entropy is here I just have to get it. I bought too many discs lately so it got mailed to a friends house with some putters he needed. Kept it from arriving at my house..

Well if you didn't look it up its a speed 11 5 -1 2.5 so you're right on the money! It's in the Wave class for rim size. I don't know if you bag anything in 150's but it's a fairly stable disc for that weight. I don't think I have the power to get a regular one going.. But I bag a 143.. I don't think I throw as far as you... it's so light moderate wind is a bit of an issue but it eats a breeze and is a great distance driver for me uphill.

Fission is an ultralight inside core... so the heavier is is the more weight is on the outside overmold. Its also a little more flexible than neutron plastic. There was talk about some of the newer runs and wondering if they were better than second runs.. It's a unique disc for the weight. Your Tesla is probably covering the same shots..

My proton tesla is pretty heavy and is a BEAST of a disc. I honestly can't get it out that far before it fades out hard being conscious of the nose angle. It's very OS in high 170's proton, wondering if maybe a lighter neutron would be a good complement?

Also it snowed here so I didnt get to throw much today. I bought some cheap DX mids to play with in the snow because I don't care if they get buried but brought my entropy with e just to give it a try if I found a safe spot. Used it on 1 approach for fear of losing it but my initial guess seems to be supported. Not quite as much of a meathook as my Z FLX but felt very similar to my jawbreaker zone with it's added glide while still being fairly OS. Today Im hoping enough has melted to really give it a rip somewhere. I'll let ya know how it does.

Also it's almost too pretty to throw. I may need to buy a stock stamp lol

Well if your Tesla is beefy like I'd guess in proton similar beef is probably a 160 Fission Photon but I'm guessing there. Anything in proton is generally the most stable variant.

Like with your Envy.. Proton is a bit of a power pig takes a long time to break into straight. Neutron will straighten out after a year and a half say and plasma after about 8 months.. Electron Envy took me 2 months to beat them to a Proxy flight. With the Envy (and only the Envy) the eclipse glow is a touch less stable than proton with a grippier flight plate. Generally eclipse is the most stable version.

That's good news for me with the Entropy I just gotta see if it can handle my FH OAT...

Well if your Tesla is beefy like I'd guess in proton similar beef is probably a 160 Fission Photon but I'm guessing there. Anything in proton is generally the most stable variant.

Like with your Envy.. Proton is a bit of a power pig takes a long time to break into straight. Neutron will straighten out after a year and a half say and plasma after about 8 months.. Electron Envy took me 2 months to beat them to a Proxy flight. With the Envy (and only the Envy) the eclipse glow is a touch less stable than proton with a grippier flight plate. Generally eclipse is the most stable version.

That's good news for me with the Entropy I just gotta see if it can handle my FH OAT...

I ordered an envy in proton because the first few throws in the field were amazing and then back in Hinton it smoked a couple of trees off the tee pad and realized how short lived its over stability would be considering I typically play at least 9 holes a day but sometimes 36 and generally 18+. I'm a putter and mid heavy player in the woods and Hintons course is densely wooded. North Carolina type wooded except thicker from what I remember of it when my father lived there. Anyway, tree hits at high speed are common, getting less common but still inevitable so I'm hoping the proton envy will be a bit of a workhorse for me and the electron can serve as an US complement when it gets beat it a bit more, reserving my anode for putting only.

Well I haven't thrown a Zone for awhile but I threw the Entropy around. A little less stable but still close. I think it's going to be decent, definitely doesn't overshoot the basket.

Well I haven't thrown a Zone for awhile but I threw the Entropy around. A little less stable but still close. I think it's going to be decent, definitely doesn't overshoot the basket.

That's good to hear. I think the zone has been the most important disc in my bag since it went I had my first JB zone that I beat straight and puddle topped then lost...

Then I got a Z FLX , a pro D, and a new JB and was working on beating the JB and pro d in to stable and US zones with the JB having much more glide. Not often that I cycle discs but I threw that one enough to and I think the envy is going to end up being a similar disc for me.

Also thinking about picking up a plasma anode and tangent since out of all the plastics the plasma seems to end up with more dome and lower PLH which are both good for me since Im still developing enough snap to get optimal flights from the faster discs in the lineup. Some added glide and a faster beat in time will let me start cycling sooner (if I go that way). I love the feel of electron but not when its shaped like a clover lol

Yeah plasma is definitely worth checking out especially if you want to shave a year off break in time..

Yeah plasma is definitely worth checking out especially if you want to shave a year off break in time..

Yeah, Im actually loving my electron discs now. So workable..

K, here's the lineup:

el/pl Anode
el/pr Envy
n Entropy
pr Tangent
n Vertex/Axis/Vector
n Relay
pl Volt/Amp
n Inertia
pr Tesla
pr Vanish
N Virus/Fireball
n Excite

16 molds, 18 discs. Now if I was going to play only woods or only open I could likely cut it in half easily but this covers everything imaginable without too much overlap (for my arm speed). Eventually things will cycle but right now its easier to have different molds than try and force things.

16 molds, 18 discs. Now if I was going to play only woods or only open I could likely cut it in half easily but this covers everything imaginable without too much overlap (for my arm speed). Eventually things will cycle but right now its easier to have different molds than try and force things.

That's cool man, I like the setup.. Definitely mid heavy but that's an issue I have too.. They all do something a little different. Wait til that Axis seasons in they get better! I just ordered a 155 pl Wave, 152 pl Crave and heavier 166 sparkle proton Inertia myself.. More discs I don't need haha. But I do want them! I'm trying to head towards some mold minimalism finally, after trying almost everything in the slower classes.

That's cool man, I like the setup.. Definitely mid heavy but that's an issue I have too.. They all do something a little different. Wait til that Axis seasons in they get better! I just ordered a 155 pl Wave, 152 pl Crave and heavier 166 sparkle proton Inertia myself.. More discs I don't need haha. But I do want them! I'm trying to head towards some mold minimalism finally, after trying almost everything in the slower classes.

I love throwing mids, I'm not that into drivers tbh, but theres only a couple holes here where they make sense to throw honestly. Mids are money in a course like this and all of my favorite discs are either fast putters, mids, or slow fairways lol

Been uploading some vids of the local course here today, check em out if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG-XK3k2U8S7b4GXENWujEQ

Also yeah I got the axis because as much as I love the tangent I found it lacked a little bit of glide so I wanted something a bit faster that I could put more power behind and get similar lines. Worked out well I love it but it still doesnt replace the tangent. To me an axis is a long tangent, a vertex is a beat tangent, and a vector is a beefy tangent. I feel like I am missing an OS mid though, speed 5-6 would be good. I feel the same way about the vector as you, Ièd like something just a bit more OS to replace it honestly.

Also yeah I got the axis because as much as I love the tangent I found it lacked a little bit of glide so I wanted something a bit faster that I could put more power behind and get similar lines. Worked out well I love it but it still doesnt replace the tangent. To me an axis is a long tangent, a vertex is a beat tangent, and a vector is a beefy tangent. I feel like I am missing an OS mid though, speed 5-6 would be good. I feel the same way about the vector as you, Ièd like something just a bit more OS to replace it honestly.

From what I hear the super OS is the deflector.. But a lot of guys just power down a Resistor and use it for thumber too.

Hey so what was your verdict on the Sting? What type and weight were you packing?

Big Z 170-172 I believe, if you like the gyros youll like it i think, late high speed turn is similar. workably US/Stable but can burn if you yank on it. good distance on it for a speed 6/7 disc.

K, here's the lineup:

el/pl Anode
el/pr Envy
n Entropy
pr Tangent
n Vertex/Axis/Vector
n Relay
pl Volt/Amp
n Inertia
pr Tesla
pr Vanish
N Virus/Fireball
n Excite

Solid bag. I didn't gel with the Anode, but if you do well with it, then keep rockin' it. I'm also an Axis fan when I take my all-MVP/Axiom bag to the course.