• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Met Avery Jenkins!

bobmcnelly

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I was playing my local course in steamboat springs colorado about a month back. It's not a great course, and it even has tone poles instead of baskets. Anyway, I was playing along by myself, and I noticed the couple behind me was parking all their shots. I had never seen them up there before, so I took a minute at a bench to drink some water and they approached me. Asking me about courses in the area and things to do around town. So I joined up with them to finish out the round. After a little talking a realized that the guy had to be a pro. So I asked a few questions about him, and he revealed to me he was a former world champion! So I find out he's Avery Jenkins! I was a little shocked(mainly that he was playing such a crappy course). But he actually enjoyed the course, they even wanted their picture taken with one of the tone poles. They were both really nice and even invited out for a drink but unfortunately I had things to do. But it was certainly cool meeting and throwing with a former world champ.

Avery is a great guy and very approachable! When I met him the first time I was still considering whether or not I was going to buy a Grip EQ. Even though he was playing in a tournament, Avery took the time to show me his bag and he even let me try it on to see how it felt fully loaded.

Avery gets flak on here, but he's a hell of an ambassador, and i'd love to shoot a round with him. Walked a couple rounds with him at Worlds after I failed to move on, and it was a fun time. Nice guy.

I was looking around the Pro shop at the USDGA and turned around almost bumping into him. I said excuse me.

He is much bigger in real life.

I played an imaginary round of disc golf with Avery Jenkins, but I played a real round with a guy that looked like Avery Jenkins, and that was way cooler.

I was fortunate enough to shoot a couple rounds with him. We were partners for a casual doubles round and the next day he and I played a course he hadn't played. I had a blast. He was eager to help and offered suggestions when he saw the need...which was often. It was cool to see how a top pro approached the different holes I play often. He made amazing shots-both in the woods and out. Saw him deuce a hole that only a few have managed to deuce.

Avery also took time to help our local club set up extra holes for the CVO.

Like you said, he's a nice guy and a great ambassador.

Avery gets flak on here, but he's a hell of an ambassador, and i'd love to shoot a round with him. Walked a couple rounds with him at Worlds after I failed to move on, and it was a fun time. Nice guy.

I've found something really interesting/cool in several recent videos that I've watched. Avery hasn't been in the final group in these videos, but when the final group gets to the last hole, he's still hanging around to congratulate the winner. Obviously, there are probably a lot of top pros still hanging around, I just haven't noticed seeing them around.

That seems like a pretty stand up kind of thing to do! :clap:

I spent an hour warming up with him before a tournament on the Island in Toronto and he was very pleasant. Me thinks there are alot of interweb haterz out there

Whats Avery Jenkins doing playing a little tone pole course?

Why he's out racking up another course trying to get closer to the leaders here on the DGCR leaderboard. Avery currently stands in 20th place with 427 courses played and is hanging in there on the first page. Keep chalking em up, Avery!

And I think he leads all 44,000 + members here on DGCR with having played courses in 13 countries.

Check the Hall Of Fame listings to verify this. I didn't count the other players in his category. Very impressive.

Dogging Avery that he can't throw in the woods gets old. World champ in KC. Not the most wide open field courses. World Champion and top 10 for a long time.

Cool that you got to play a casual round with him. He is very knowledgeable and willing to share.

I think Avery gets some criticism for the way he came across in the PDGA board minutes. I'm not saying the PDGA didn't deserve some criticism, but the way the minutes were written up, it came across as criticism of the efforts of locals putting on worlds. Now that he's left the PDGA board, that shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, if he continues to show up for tournaments, and then blow town before they start with a scathing voicemail to the TD about "tour standards," then leaving the PDGA board won't do much about that.

We see Avery a lot here in Colorado thanks to the fact that his lady friend lives here. He really is a nice guy. I had a good conversation with him earlier this year between rounds where I learned a bit more about his heart and passion for promoting the sport and literally traveling around teh world to do so. It is not often you find a top pro who has decided that it is more important to promote the sport around the world than it is to play in all the NT events in a season.

I think Avery gets some criticism for the way he came across in the PDGA board minutes. I'm not saying the PDGA didn't deserve some criticism, but the way the minutes were written up, it came across as criticism of the efforts of locals putting on worlds. Now that he's left the PDGA board, that shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, if he continues to show up for tournaments, and then blow town before they start with a scathing voicemail to the TD about "tour standards," then leaving the PDGA board won't do much about that.

The way you've written this insinuates a pattern behavior, could this possibly be...hyperbole?

Did you know the other person with him? Considering he's good friends with Nate Doss, you could've met two world champions that day, one a 3X Champion, and not even realized it.

Latest posts