• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Missilen (The Missile)

If you watch the latest Discgolf answerman podcast Emac does a good job explaining that it's rated faster but how that doesn't always mean longer distance. I don't know but he would be a good person to take the word of. I just know it's not a disc for me and I don't care for hex dimples in any disc I own. I don't want to scrub dirt out of them. It does have them on the underside of the rim but not the underside of the flight plate. Which I didn't know until watching the podcast.

I was just thinking about arm/disc speed vs. actual distance...:)

speed rating is how fast in comparison to other discs you have to throw it to achieve the identified LSS/HSS ratings.

Instead of integers from 3-15, Vibram uses actual MPH numbers. A "15" is probably like 122mph. :|

Last edited:
The reasoning why it is going to have a very low glide number is because glide is fairly dependent on lift. Lift is achieved by more air moving over the top than the bottom of the disc, against the disc. Now throw dimples onto the surface on the disc and it creates a bunch of tiny high pressure pockets. These pockets will allow the air to move around, over, under the disc with less friction on the disc, and there for create less lift. So the hex dimples make it faster, and not have as much glide. Put those on an understable disc and i think that it would be a great roller but thats about it.

This sure is a strange feeling disc. I don't know if I like it or not. Haven't had a chance to throw it yet, maybe that will make up my mind one way or the other.

The idea and science behind this is intriguing, however I don't understand why Latitude would debut this technology with such a fast, overstable disc. Wouldn't they want to feature this on a more accessible disc, not just pros and big arms? Maybe I don't fully understand what the dimples do...

The idea and science behind this is intriguing, however I don't understand why Latitude would debut this technology with such a fast, overstable disc. Wouldn't they want to feature this on a more accessible disc, not just pros and big arms? Maybe I don't fully understand what the dimples do...

I think there's some question as to whether the dimples really do anything positive at all here. My understanding is that dimples in golf balls work largely because of the spherical shape of the ball. That shape causes a lot of drag at the back end of the ball as air moves over it. The dimples in that situation create a level of turbulence in the airflow around the ball which reduces that drag substantially. I'm not sure the same effect would occur in a disc given that it's not spherical and may not have the same drag issues.

This disc goes so far. A buddy of mine who just got on the Lat Team, Dillon Vallance, threw it right at 500' in a left to right headwind. It was nuts. It even blew his mind, and he can straight up smash a disc.

DD had them up last night, and they still have all the weights/colors this morning.

Looks like the Missilen has missed its mark. Just joking, I know this disc will have a limited user base.

I know I cant throw this disc, but getting one of the first run (or is it only a 1000 run ever?) of 1000 might sway my decision.

Linus Astrom used to be the biggest bomber on their team. Dunno now.

If he's still there, he'd be the best tester.

I can see some benefit of higher wind resistance and less glide (if less glide is a normal result). Something like a Trident or XXX for added wind cutting. Might also reduce sidewind effect? I'd like to see a Saint Pro with it, then we could see how it effects the disc exactly.

My question is how do these throw overhand? That's where I would imagine the dimples having the most effect. I ain't no mathmagician though.

The question about whether some glide or lift would be sacrificed with the lesser wind resistance is answered for us I think by the lack of this geometry on airplane wings or other aerospace tech. A lot of brilliant minds working on those designs, and I've never seen a wing with a hex pattern on it. And an airplane wing and helicopter blade are much more similar to a DG disc than a golf ball is.

Well my buddy Steve ordered a Deco Dye and an Opto, and dude has a straight up cannon for an arm. Killer sidearm and overhands, too. We'll see how he throws them. I am interested, but would never use it myself.

Picked one up today and threw it almost exclusively forehand. Limited throws, keep that in mind for this review.

I was able to hit my line and spot every time, something I have trouble with throwing most other discs forehand. Of course I am just learning the disc, so I am not going full power into it on top of that its overstability likely masked some form flaws. Regardless, it always hit the initial line I was looking for. It was fast and glidey and usually broke into its fade at a predictable time.

Still, it is a little too overstable for my usage. Maybe after it breaks in a little. For right now my Sword is a better forehand choice for me.

Another thing I noticed is that it does not take much in the way of dirt and mud to clog the hexes and make it impossible to clean. I am concerned that if mud and whatnot become packed in the hexes, will that not simply negate the positive effect of having those hexes there in the first place? The only way I got it cleaned when I got home was to acetone it out. Regular water and a paper towel was not good enough. I would hate to have an open field, grass-only driver.