• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Iconic or Amazing Holes

Keith H

Eagle Member
I'm was wondering what the most iconic / or amazing holes are on a course you have played. Many times there courses with a number of average or even good holes, but there is one really amazing hole.

Why you like it is up to you. A really tough shot, an amazing ace run, a shot from a hillside into the valley. Beautiful surroundings...

I'm imagining A couple of different way people could respond. I'm sure there are others.

One way could be Hazel Landing, Carmel, In - the old hole 13 - I love the big cottonwood trees.

Or for those that have travelled a bit it might be fun to hear your dream course made up of holes from all over.

Hole 1 - Bills Hills in Xyz TN / amazing view
Hole 2 - Fred's Friendly Course in Abc Kansas
Hole 3 - Amy's apple orchard, blue tee, jkl, Maine
Hole 4....

The point would be if I went to Friendly Fred's in Kansas when I got there, hole 2 would be one of the most amazing or favorite holes you have played.

You can tell us why you like it, or you can just list them.

If you don't have a whole course of amazing holes, tell us about the odds and ends you do like.

And lol, yes as I was making this post it occured to me after rereading the 8th hole thread, the laugh factor of using the word holes so often in this post. That was not my intent, but it is such an easily maligned word in the world today. We really need a new word to describe the 18 holes we are playing besides holes.

These came to my mind off the top of my head.

Moraine #15

Shore Winds Blue #'s 13, 14, 15 ...all of which play alongside Lake Ontario

Flyboy #25? with the "THINK" sign (could be off on the #)

Harmony Bends #s 1, 5, 10, 18

RIP'd Hickory Hills Top of the world shot with trees framing prat of Traverse City with Grand Traverse bay in the foreground.

Iffy Hollers- can't recall specific hole #'s, but that course is spectacular.

Beast #1: elevated tee shot overlooking Lake Michigan.

Toboggan #'s 1 & 17

Flip City #'s 7 & 11

IDGC Stead Ed #13

Moraine #15

RIP'd Hickory Hills Top of the world shot with trees framing prat of Traverse City with Grand Traverse bay in the foreground.

Toboggan #'s 1 & 17

Flip City #'s 7 & 11

IDGC Stead Ed #13

Nice, I love it, and will take some time to read about those courses and holes.

Reading that reminded me of a course I played once in Escanaba (I will have to research the name), I thought it was neat because it played along the water of Lake Michigan or one of the bays.

Most of the holes had a pretty backdrop but one played out onto a peninsula.

For a country boy who more often risks losing a disc in a cornfield, I thought it was pretty neat!

Covenant Village, #13/760' par 5/Clearville, PA

Lots of fun holes on this course ranging from tightly wooded to totally open. I think that this would have to be "The Hole" on the course.

From the tee. The basket is probably 75' into the woods in line with the cut grass in the fairway.
picture.php

Basket to tee. The elevation is more pronounced than this pic shows. I think the first pic shows off the elevation better.
picture.php

I actually got a 3 on it a few years ago and was fired up. Tern, Buzzz, Aviar. I'm thinking I would consider it a birdie and not eagle. I was actually a little surprised to see it listed as par 5. Super fun hole!!

Lots of fun holes on this course ranging from tightly wooded to totally open. I think that this would have to be "The Hole" on the course.

From the tee. The basket is probably 75' into the woods in line with the cut grass in the fairway.
picture.php

Basket to tee. The elevation is more pronounced than this pic shows. I think the first pic shows off the elevation better.
picture.php

I actually got a 3 on it a few years ago and was fired up. Tern, Buzzz, Aviar. I'm thinking I would consider it a birdie and not eagle. I was actually a little surprised to see it listed as par 5. Super fun hole!!

Course name? Something about it reminds me of Whipping Post.

Moraine #15

Toboggan #'s 1 & 17

Flip City #'s 7 & 11

IDGC Stead Ed #13

Peace Park in Austin TX had a hole that when standing on the tee, the trees above the basket framed the state capitol.

#13 Hudson Mills, "The Monster". It was the first and only 1000 ft hole I had heard of or played for MANY years. There wasn't much even close.

Bogey has a few that rate highly for me as well, the Flip holes, Moraine, Toboggan, IDGC and especially his inclusion of the Hickory Hills ex-hole.

Top of the world as Dela.

#4 at Firefighters Park....my first ace. A forehand ace to boot. I did not even throw forehands, it was an atrocious turned over flex shot with a X-Clone.

The crazy walking bridge hole on Belle Isle. Don't remember the number.

A couple holes on Toronto Island, giving skyline views of Toronto. Don't remember the hole number there either.

Came across a moose on a hole at Kincaid Park in Anchorage.

There are lots of personal iconic holes that hold special places due to whom I was with, the circumstances, maybe an animal sighting or just a spectacular time in life.

Wildcat Bluff, Hole #20

Wildcat Bluff, Hole #20, Urbana, IA.

Past the fallen tree arch and into the valley in to one of 4 basket positions...

Attachments

• 20200602_195236.jpg
    20200602_195236.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20200602_195315.jpg
    20200602_195315.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 28
Eagles Crossing #4 (birthday cake) and #5 (train wreck).
Maple Hill #1 (scenery, especially in fall) and 18--huge gallery, risk/reward aspect
Several at Toboggan: 1, 3, new 5 (long skinny downhill in woods, quite unique for me), new 15
Fox Run #18--mountains in background, great view, lots of drama for a finishing hole
Idlewild #5--love the green, the creek through the hole and the challenge of a right to left slope on a big turnover shot.

Course name? Something about it reminds me of Whipping Post.

The course info was in the title. :) I can see the similarity. I think that this hole has more elevation drop off the tee than anything at Paw Paw. It's so fun to watch the full flight from up on the hillside... unless of course you make a bad throw. Then it's pretty painful. :doh:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8864

Reading that reminded me of a course I played once in Escanaba (I will have to research the name), I thought it was neat because it played along the water of Lake Michigan or one of the bays.

Ludington links is the course you're thinking of. Played it last summer.

Here's 3 memorable one from the past year. Not sure on the hole numbers, but anything at Makoshika State park in MT, One of 2 top of the world shots from different sides of the course at Diamond X in MT and the beautiful top of the hill (the first of two) at Mt. McSauba in MI.

Attachments

• IMG_20210912_131904114_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210912_131904114_HDR.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20210913_111836975_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210913_111836975_HDR.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20210610_113454833_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210610_113454833_HDR.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
So many.....

That's part of why we love disc golf.

But the hole I found most thrilling, every time I walked up to it, is now extinct. It was in an annual temp course in Hampton Park, in Charleston, SC

Hampton - Fountain Tee (3).jpg

Throw from under a giant live oak, across a cement pond with a fountain in the middle, clear the wall and fence on the far side, slip past the small trees to the basket.

This photo is deceiving because it's compressed. The distance was about 300'.

The course info was in the title. :) I can see the similarity. I think that this hole has more elevation drop off the tee than anything at Paw Paw. It's so fun to watch the full flight from up on the hillside... unless of course you make a bad throw. Then it's pretty painful. :doh:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8864

Thanks Jim. For whatever reason, I don't titles for individual posts when I use the DGCR android mobile app on my phone. I only see them when I log in on my computer.

Just off the top of my head, some great holes from my adventures so far (many of which have already been mentioned...)
- RIP top of the world hole @ Hickory Hills old layout (Traverse City, MI) - Beautiful view down a ski hill over the TC area and Grand Traverse Bay. Course has recently went through a couple of redesigns, not sure if something close to this hole still exists there.
- Hole #26 @ Silver Creek Park (Manitowoc, WI) - Plays downhill and turns left to a "lighthouse basket" on a man-made peninsula in Lake Michigan.
- Hole #24 @Ionia State Rec Area (Ionia, MI) - Short throw downhill in the woods where a creek meanders across the fairway three separate times, and also curls around behind the basket.
- Hole #3 @ Kincaid Park (Anchorage, AK) - Beautiful views of the Cook Inlet, and a moose sighting isn't out of the question.
- Hole #8 @ Superior Pines (Grand Marais, MI) - Throw across a river gorge in a beautiful pine forest.
- Hole #11 @ Flip City (Shelby, MI) - Just iconic.

Here's some memorable ones that I've played:

Hole 1 - Maple Hill, Leicester, MA - Iconic opener, downhill, christmas trees, pond, guarded green for long basket
Hole 5 - West Lake Park, Davenport, IA - The first of the two par 5s that play across the earthen dam. Too much water, too much wind.
Hole 6 - Stafford Lake, Novato, CA - Top of the world
Hole 8 - Maple Hill, Leicester, MA - Fun shot, across the water the whole way.
Hole 12 - Northwood Black, Morton, IL - Beautiful, super demanding, wooded par 5
Hole 13 - West Lake Park, Davenport, IA - See hole 5. Plays across the dam in the other direction.
Hole 17 - Holler in the Hills, Brownsville, KY - Fun cross ravine shot with a fairly tight green if you want a clean putt
Hole 18 - Holler in the Hills, Brownsville, KY - Fun, steep downhill finishing hole. I don't throw particularly far and was 100'+ long on a 350'ish hole with a mid.

Thanks Jim. For whatever reason, I don't titles for individual posts when I use the DGCR android mobile app on my phone. I only see them when I log in on my computer.

Interesting. I'll try to remember that that happens to people and make sure the title info ends up in the post, too. :thmbup: