• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Iconic or Amazing Holes

Here's an interesting one with no water, elevation, or trees. Planned on playing this when I was in Europe years ago, but plans changed and we didn't pass through Rotterdam.

be09d1d5_m.jpg

How many of those posts are mandos?

^All of them. Forced slalom.

jk. I have no idea, missed out on playing it.

Hole 13, the Ultimate Gimmick Hole, at the Flying Armadillo. If you don't like gimmicky holes, you won't like this one. You can go straight for the basket through the blue grate, try for a ricochet off one of the four truck hoods, hit the blue backboard, throw directly at the funnel, throw a roller at the middle ramp and into the funnel, throw a roller into the slot track on the right, try a ricochet off the yellow backboard, or throw a grinder that rides the slot track rail along the yellow backboard. If you can't decide, then park yourself at the tee pad and throw your whole bag. That's what a lot of players do.

Attachments

• 20201007_144311 resized.jpg
    20201007_144311 resized.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 71
Hole 13, the Ultimate Gimmick Hole, at the Flying Armadillo. If you don't like gimmicky holes, you won't like this one. You can go straight for the basket through the blue grate, try for a ricochet off one of the four truck hoods, hit the blue backboard, throw directly at the funnel, throw a roller at the middle ramp and into the funnel, throw a roller into the slot track on the right, try a ricochet off the yellow backboard, or throw a grinder that rides the slot track rail along the yellow backboard. If you can't decide, then park yourself at the tee pad and throw your whole bag. That's what a lot of players do.

Based on the picture, I'm going through the funnel or roller into the slot track on the right if the lip of it is sufficiently higher than the basket rim, looks a little low.

Does hitting either of the tone poles also count?

Based on the picture, I'm going through the funnel or roller into the slot track on the right if the lip of it is sufficiently higher than the basket rim, looks a little low.

If you roll it into the slot track with enough speed, it will go in most of the time. Same with a backhand throw that rides along the top of the slot rail. Thrown with enough speed, it will probably go in too.

Some of the possible ace throws can be seen in this video:

https://youtu.be/VdOqu6t-RWI

This one prob falls into the iconic category. The top of the "moonscape" feature at New World throwing down towards the lake.

26961900_1262046753895272_5426649208750589281_o.jpg

This one prob falls into the iconic category. The top of the "moonscape" feature at New World throwing down towards the lake.

26961900_1262046753895272_5426649208750589281_o.jpg

As is often the case, pix really don't do it justice.

That section of the course is pretty unique.
I suspect some courses in the western U.S. might feel kinda similar (haven't played out there myself...yet). But I haven't seen anything else like it out east.

Also has quite a few moderately to well-wooded holes that to give the course a balanced variety.

If you roll it into the slot track with enough speed, it will go in most of the time. Same with a backhand throw that rides along the top of the slot rail. Thrown with enough speed, it will probably go in too.

Thanks for sharing. The "Through the Grate" shot should be called the Gannon Buhr.

Also... the elephant in the room... that might be the chonkest dog(?) I've ever seen?

Last edited:

As Larry the Cable Guy would say,
I don't care who you are, that's fun(ny) right there.

In a hole fairly similar to the chicken coop hole at North Georgia Canopy, hole 17 at Sunnymede DGC in eastern MA is a barn/shed shot to an open basket placement with a small gap and pinching OB right after the open barn/shed door.

Yes! Aces have been made with a ricochet off each of the inner four telephone "tone" poles. Not sure about the fifth pole, but I would imagine that someone has hit an Ace off of that one as well.

But it still needs to go in the basket? The tone poles are not alternative targets? It would be more gimmicky if they were.

But it still needs to go in the basket? The tone poles are not alternative targets? It would be more gimmicky if they were.

No, this hole is already one of the easiest on the course to ace. But on the other hand, we tell players to play by whatever rules they'd like. Some play it as a par 3, some ignore the mandos altogether, and if anyone would like to count hitting the tone poles as an ace, then that's cool too.