• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
happened twice today while playing an extremely wooded course i threw ion fh rollers from over 100ft out in the rough and both winded up under the basket

Got some work with my newer plasma Proxy this weekend - dang that thing is fairly stable haha - surprised, but had some nice shots with it and a bigtime 80 ft throw in. Alias was flying well - straight as an arrow - Volt got sneaky and got me a parkjob deuce. And I was using the TRACE a little bit and find myself liking it more and more - not sure how they all came out but I have a Neutron Firm Ace of Spades that is pretty stable and I like it.
Also Mayhem still bombs

in sadder news today i threw my insanity on a fat flex and when it was about to come out it kicked off a light pole and went onto the road and the first car to pass it ran it over ive had worse damage from hyzer bombs onto the road than this so whatever some battle scars and a story later and i have a longer lazer now pew pew

on my second round i parked the hole with the insanity and didnt even have to use my ion

in sadder news today i threw my insanity on a fat flex and when it was about to come out it kicked off a light pole and went onto the road and the first car to pass it ran it over ive had worse damage from hyzer bombs onto the road than this so whatever some battle scars and a story later and i have a longer lazer now pew pew

on my second round i parked the hole with the insanity and didnt even have to use my ion

I don't think I've ever had a disc fly worse after being run over. Usually either the same flight with some black marks or you get a straight disc, which is awesome.

I always cringe when a car hits my discs but on the inside I'm excited to see how it's gonna fly.

I don't think I've ever had a disc fly worse after being run over. Usually either the same flight with some black marks or you get a straight disc, which is awesome.

I always cringe when a car hits my discs but on the inside I'm excited to see how it's gonna fly.

i wish i still had pics its probably on my old phone my dx aviar got MAULED over by a city transit bus this thing had the wing cut up past the plh mark on it

premium plastic fairs well getting ran over

now if my red wasp were to end out in the street i would sprint the football field length and obstruct traffic to protect it

Should have thrown a PD.

Does anyone know a good resource where all the MVP/Axiom/Streamline putters' flight characteristics are compared? I'd like more info than crowd-sourced flight numbers if possible.

I'm going to look into getting some putter candidates to audition.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know a good resource where all the MVP/Axiom/Streamline putters' flight characteristics are compared? I'd like more info than crowd-sourced flight numbers if possible.

Thanks in advance.

doesnt all flight information come from real people testing real discs

in bounds flight chart online would be a great place to start

doesnt all flight information come from real people testing real discs

in bounds flight chart online would be a great place to start

Thanks for the suggestion.
I was trying to say that I'm looking more for reviews rather than boiling it down to numbers. Discs are much more four numbers.
thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestion.
I was trying to say that I'm looking more for reviews rather than boiling it down to numbers. Discs are much more four numbers.
thanks again!

marshall street has a flight chart and so does gggt

facebook groups also have much more active participants however their larger sample size leads to more misinformation

after peepin on here for a while you start to develop a knack for knowing who the legit throwers are and who the 250ft chumps are

for the most part the mvp/axiom website is close to their flight numbers but reviews mention the nuances of each disc

Thanks in advance.

You can always ask here and dissect the results... I will tell you to get an Envy and Spin, Thomas O will push the Atom, elmexdela likes plasma Ions, lots of people like the Proxy... pilot is popular too.

One putter mold multiple plastics get an Atom
Straight and single turn Voodooish get a Proxy
Want straight to a late stable finish Plasma envy
Most understable available get a Spin
Improved Wizard get an Ion
Improved Aviar get an Anode

I can't comment on the particle or pilot... don't have them yet.

Does anyone know a good resource where all the MVP/Axiom/Streamline putters’ flight characteristics are compared? I’d like more info than crowd-sourced flight numbers if possible.

I’m going to look into getting some putter candidates to audition.

Thanks in advance.

There is no one place that has this information. I am sure if you scour the DGCR forums or MVP FB Fan page you can probably find what you are looking for. Here is my .02 cents worth. As a reference, I am an amateur player that maxes out at 375 on flat ground. My home course is Maple Hill.

Ion Class:

Ion -- this is MVP Wizard clone. It has come in various iterations of plastics and firmness. Some of the older versions in the not currently available Soft Neutron had a smaller bead compared to newer runs. It is a stable disc that has a good amount of glide compared to other MVP putters. It really is a workhorse if you like beaded putters. The Electron plastics generally have the same flight characteristics when new but will beat in sooner than the premium plastics. For me, the Plasma plastic is most like the coveted Soft Neutron. I don't currently bag any but it use to be a staple in my bag.

Anode -- this is essentially a beadless Ion and most like Gateways's Magic. I know some have likened this to an Aviar, but it feels nothing like an Aviar and is a tad more US. It has the feel of the Warden but with a touch more US. This is a great deep dish putter and has tons of glide. It takes a bit more finesse to dial this in off the tee. It can take power as long as it is clean. This disc will quickly show you your mistakes. Very floaty. This was my main putter until the Envy class came out.

Envy Class:

Envy -- this was Axiom's foray into thinner style putters. It was first released in Soft Neutron plastic. It is a stable to OS disc that holds many different angles. Along with the Ion it really is the gem among MVPs putters. For me, it feels like similar to a Judge or Pure, albeit with a very micro-bead. It flies similar to the Shield with a touch less glide but with more forward penetration. The Envy shines off the tee or on full powered upshots. It is a fantastic all around disc. It is also a great putting disc. It does take a bit more getting use to to putt with. With less glide than the Ion class, it really takes a bit more of an aggressive putting style. It you are more of a lofty, arcing putter, you might be frustrated with this disc in the circle. Check out videos of Matt Dollar this last year, especially from the MVP Open at Maple Hill, and you can see this disc in action. It also comes in a full gamut of plastics. I really like Soft Electron, the new Eclipse (a tick more OS than other plastics), and Soft Neutron (holds its stability for a long time).

Proxy -- a great Axiom US compliment to the Envy. It shares the same core as the Envy with a slightly rounder wing. It is a stable to US disc that feels like an Envy in the hand. It lies like a beat in Envy and even though it has some under stability, it can have a touch of finishing hyzer, especially if you send it nose up. While this disc has its uses off the tee, it really shines as a touch upshot disc in the woods. It is really easy to dial in shots with the Proxy and it holds a hyzer if you give it enough snap.

Atom -- MVP first released the Atom in their much anticipated Electron plastic. Before they Atom was released, the released it as Experimental Putter #1 an Experimental Putter #2 in various colors. #1 eventually become Medium Electron and #2 became Soft Electron. To confuse things a bit more, it was the pink, orange, and white ones that had the wing that became the Atom. All those that were released in blue eventually became the wing of the later to be released Particle. The Atom is a great stable disc. It flies straight, has decent glide, and is great both off the tee and in the circle. When paired with the Particle, it is a nice stable/US compliment to the more OS Particle. Since it shares the same core as the Envy, it has a similar feel and flies just a tick more stable/US. It shines off the tee. I find it hard to justify carrying mids when I have Envys or Atoms in the bag. They really can go far off the tee.

Particle -- this is MVPs Envy. It shares the same core and almost a similar wing profile. The Particle was originally tested as the blue Experimental discs. They come in Soft and Regular Neutron. They are similar to the Envy with a hair more glide and sometimes .5 more stability. I have gotten so use to the Envy it is hard to find a place for the Particle in the bag. The Envy has also been released in more plastics with a great range of stabilities across the plastics. It I was going for an all MVP bag, I would carry the Atom/Particle duo. I tend to prefer the Envy/Proxy pairing but really it is splitting hairs at that point. All of them are great. Just go with what feels right.

Other:

Spin -- Although it does not share the same core as the Ion/Anode, it is similar in feel. It is a deep dish putter that has a unique US wing profile. If you like US putters, this might be your choice. It is very glidey. I have not thrown another putter that is the same as the Spin. Great for outside of the circle shots or jump putts. I have not had great success with this off the tee. It has great turn if you can dial it in just right. It has a similar beginning flight as a Comet but it doesn't have any LSS. Great for hyzerflip putts or hyzerflips off the tee.

Pilot -- this is Streamline's first putter. It comes in Soft and Medium Electron. Unlike the other putters, there is no overmold. While it is not listed as having an Envy core, it is similar in feel to the discs in the Envy class. It is very similar to a micro-beaded Judge. I love this putter and it hs become my go to in the circle putter. It is extremely similar to an Envy, however unlike Soft Electron that can tend to clover in Soft Electron, the Pilot does not have the same issue. It has fantastic glide, a touch more than an Envy. I use to use a lot of loft when I putted with the Anode. I switched to a more aggressive putt when I moved to the Envy/Proxy. I feel like the Pilot has allowed me the best of both of these discs. I don't have to hammer the chains as much as I felt I needed with the Envy because of the extra glide with the Pilot. While it is okay off the tee, I much prefer the Envy for those duties.

I might check out a Particle as a more FH friendly option to the Envy. I got used to flicking my N Envy on a lot of approaches but the wind was getting it a little bit my last tourney. A slimmer Envy type disc might cut the wind a little better.

The Spin does have a fairly unique profile. It's got a low nose and a really flat under-wing. Kind of like an exaggerated Magic. Really slow, floaty and flippy. Closest thing they got to a lid so I bag it.

The Ion is still my baby though. Putts well, mashes well, good speed and glide. Give it mild hyzer, aim slightly right of target and send it in.

im going to disagree

the ion is the perfect middle between a bb aviar and a wizard

ion doesnt float as much as a bb aviar and isnt a brick like the wiz, while all have approximately equal stability

Axiom needs more mids and putters - and Streamline could use another or 2 - Would like to see a disc in between the insanity and wrath - and no the inertia is not that. ;)

Accurate breakdown for sure.

I carry the Envy in Plasma and recently added Soft Neutron. Envy is a great driving putter in low wind situations. Great line shaper and good to about 300' depending on landscape / elevation. I like the plasma out of the box and on approach and soft Neutron in the circle. It would be possible to just carry the envy and skip mids... That said, I carry 4 mid molds.

Funguy, the Envy was released on form Neutron, not soft.
And the new eclipse is less stable, not more, but it has less glide.

Correct on Neutron being the first. Mistake on my part.

Eclipse has been significantly more stable than other plastics except for a few large bead Protons I have. To be fair, I only have 2 Eclipse and picked the ones with the highest PLH at MST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts