• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What´s the difference difference between a 150g Fission WAVE and a normal 150g Plasma/Neutron/Electron ?

Why make a Fission ( bubble plastic ) if you can get your normal plastics down to 150g ? is´nt the point of "bubble plastic" to get the weight down?

I want to buy a test a low weight WAVE but unsure if i should take a Fission or "normal" plastic

Weight distribution. They control the weight more from the rim in regular N and P plastics, but can take more weight out of the center and keep the rim heavier in comparison with fission. It's supposed to make fission of the same weight more HSS.

Weight distribution. They control the weight more from the rim in regular N and P plastics, but can take more weight out of the center and keep the rim heavier in comparison with fission. It's supposed to make fission of the same weight more HSS.

So for me a "not so young anymore" player with 330feet max distance that want´s to try a lower weight disc. . .should i try a Fission or a "normal" Wave in the mid 150s?

So for me a "not so young anymore" player with 330feet max distance that want´s to try a lower weight disc. . .should i try a Fission or a "normal" Wave in the mid 150s?

Fission only comes in three molds: Volt, Tesla, and Photon.

Fission = Neutron with the addition of micro-bubbles.

Since MVP makes all the cores the same, that means that Fission Plastic has more color weighting agents in the rim which translates into more gyroscopic stability. Now this comes with a caveat, the lighter these Fission discs are, the less of the weighting agent in the rim. So think of Fission weights as acting like a disc about 10-15g heavier. So a 155g Volt will act more like a 165-170g Volt in the other plastics. What that means for noodle arms is that they can get the same stability of a heavier disc with slightly lighter weights.

Now throw into that mix the Fission discs in the high 160s and low 170s and you have a more exaggerated gyroscopic stability in near max weight discs.

Since there are no Fission Waves, the closest would be a Fission Photon in the lower 150s or higher 140s. Also note that Fission Photons have been coming with a slight dome or higher shoulder so they have more glide than off the shelf Photons in the other plastics. Big arms don't like this disc because they call them flippy. I agree that in headwinds they can be tricky, but if you are use to throwing anny shots with an avertable discs and rolling your wrist, then this may the disc for you. They need hyzer and controlled snap to be boom machines. But they are! I really don't think that MVP needs a Fission Wave. Just get some Fission Photons in various weights, beat some in, get some fresh ones and you will have a single mold that will hold all sorts of lines.

And if you start to really like Fission Photons, the early runs had some board flat ones in the lower 160s that are really stable. You can still find them out there. Not as much glide as the domey ones though.

I've owned a handful of Waves (maybe 4 or 5) in a variety of weight/plastic combos and honestly weight is not a huge deal in making Waves fly different. Nor even plastic type. The one exception is Plasma, since Plasma Waves have some dome to them and will show a little more turn and glide than the other plastics. Otherwise a Wave is a Wave is a Wave. It's the most consistent distance driver mold I've thrown, which is a good thing if you're trying to replace a lost one but a bad thing if you're trying to find a "just slightly different flight" version.

I guess what I'm saying is that it really doesn't matter what plastic you get. Just find one in your preferred weight and let her rip.

Thanks..it was Photon i was thinking about. . dont know why i wrote Wave

Haha.... I have a 155 Wave.. And 143 and 155 fission Photons. The 143 is less HSS than the Wave but more LSS probably from the weight and use.. The 155 is same or more stable than the Wave. 143 is great up into a mild wind then it needs some space or thinking.. The 155 is about right for most conditions. The 143 is probably my furthest flying driver, especially uphill, but torque it too much and it can roller. Good luck!

Haha.... I have a 155 Wave.. And 143 and 155 fission Photons. The 143 is less HSS than the Wave but more LSS probably from the weight and use.. The 155 is same or more stable than the Wave. 143 is great up into a mild wind then it needs some space or thinking.. The 155 is about right for most conditions. The 143 is probably my furthest flying driver, especially uphill, but torque it too much and it can roller. Good luck!

With my 300-330 power Will a 143-150g Photon be US enough or should i try a Wave as well?
And with my power is the 21,5mm rim Discs like wave and photon better then one of the 23mm drivers?

With my 300-330 power Will a 143-150g Photon be US enough or should i try a Wave as well?
And with my power is the 21,5mm rim Discs like wave and photon better then one of the 23mm drivers?

The Wave is going to be better than the 23s. It's their best DD, and they really need something between the Wave and Photon.

I think I am in the minority in preferring a 155 N Photon to a fission. I only have one fission though, and it's super domey, whereas the N is board flat.

Also, I am in the getting up there in years category that no longer throws as far as I used to.

I can get my 156 FX(Neutron Plasma blend) Wave about 20 feet farther than 152 Fission Photon on a flat release. I can get that distance back on a flex line with the Photon though. The Wave doesn't come back on a flex, it flattens right before impact.

The Wave is going to be better than the 23s. It's their best DD, and they really need something between the Wave and Photon.

I believe the FX plastic molded up that way. They need to make more.

Thanks all. .feels like a mid 150g Fission Photon and a Wave in proton or Neutron is a good start. . and if those are to stable i might try a Photon in the high 140s and a Plasma Wave.

If i can find any, the webshops here in Sweden only have +169g Wave but i found one 154g Fission Photon

I won a Spec Ed Mayhem 167g this weekend, so can throw that against the light weight ones

I can get my 156 FX(Neutron Plasma blend) Wave about 20 feet farther than 152 Fission Photon on a flat release. I can get that distance back on a flex line with the Photon though. The Wave doesn't come back on a flex, it flattens right before impact.

I believe the FX plastic molded up that way. They need to make more.
I don't guess I have ever seen that plastic.

I don't guess I have ever seen that plastic.

It was the Hall of Fame ?2015? Stamp. The one MJ won; special release. I don't think, but I could be wrong, they ever did another run of Waves in it.
One of my friends is on the way to a round, I am going to throw both his non-FX and my FX and compare.

Last edited:
It was the Hall of Fame ?2015? Stamp. The one MJ won; special release. I don't think, but I could be wrong, they ever did another run of Waves in it.
One of my friends is on the way to a round, I am going to throw both his non-FX and my FX and compare.

MVP-LE-HOFC-NEU-WAVE-IMG.JPG

is the 10yr going to be molded like the actual FR ions or is it like current mold big bead ones like plaz is

My HOFC is different plastic from my friends Neutron. My 158g FX is considerably tackerier, yet firmer, than his 164g Neutron. Mine(current, 8/10, also tougher than current Neutron ) has years more wear on it, yet is still more stable than his. Mine was -1, 1, his was -2, 1.

I did not understand why many complained about the stability of the Wave, but I can see it being a problem for torque monkeys now.

Now, I may have to find a firm 158g Neutron for an US match to my FX.

Last edited:
That's the Wave I have, same color even. it is definitely more OS than any other Wave I've thrown.
I have been having this one Gray Wave that flies, for me, about -1.5 2. It became one of my favorite discs pretty quickly. So, I started buying more in the hopes of having 3 or more to cover different winds and shapes. Unfortunately, every single one has been either the same stability or less stable. I've since stopped throwing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts