• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
why dont you bag an ion or volt

I actually LOVE how Volts feel and fly, but I'm having a tough time finding a spot for one in my bag. Still, my lineup is anything but settled, and I really want one in the bag, so it might happen.

Ions I'm not so sure about. I haven't really had any experience with them yet, and I'm not sure if I'd need to try them with how my putting feels right now using Anodes. I hear they're good driving putters, but with that unique inner rim and my disaster of a grip, I don't think I'd have too much luck. I will say I'm not opposed to tossing one to try though. No reason to be close-minded.

I feel the same way about the Volt. There is actually one in my bag even though its not in my sig. Pretty much every time I throw it, it does exactly what I want it to. I just don't find myself with that shot very much and most of the time, forget its even in there. The crave flies pretty much the same line just tighter and a bit shorter. So I usually just wind up throwing that. The Volt mostly gets pulled in a headwind where the speed keeps it on line better than the crave.

You tried the Insanity yet Sias? Great slightly US 10speed. Great for rollers, woodsy turnovers and flip to flat tunnels.:thmbup:

Oh, btw if you haven't been warned yet, MVP discs, especially older ones if you got any, take a long time to break in, so don't expect to get a cycle going right away. I've had a crave in my bag since May '14 and it still flies pretty much the same, with just less fade. Havent really tried too many of the 2 highest speed classes much, so I cant comment on how those break in.

Last edited:
Sias I was glad to see you do well in that tournament,

I second brutus on the insanity, in neutron it has a controllable turnover, but plasma is better for rollers it has a little more flip to get them down easier.. its one of the only understable discs i like from MVP.

MVP/Axiom molds have a TON of overlap in flight and speed, so for me it came down to eliminating the overlap. For example: Volt, Wrath, Tesla can all serve the same purpose and fill the same role, like a volt speed 8 is not going to be much different distance wise than a speed 9 tesla. Personally, i have to go from speed 3 Envy to their speed 6.5 fairway drivers (resistor, servo) before i see enough of a difference distance wise to justify adding any of their midrange options.

Another thing is plastic types, the 3 Envy i bag all fly differently and even have different amounts of glide. Give the same mold in multiple plastics a try before you rule out a mold. Sadly even withing the same plastic sometimes various colors can fly differently, i would like them to be more consistent but the truth is every company i have thrown is the same way.

If i had to pick only 2 discs to play with for the rest of my life:
Soft N Envy
N Photon

Wait, I had no idea Titanic Sinks was Sias Elmore.

I would always see you in the DGA threads, Sias, but thought you were just a knowledgeable fan, not that you could actually golf. :p

Good luck this year, and enjoy throwing that GYRO! :thmbup:

I haven't tried an Insanity yet, but I seem to be getting the feeling that maybe I should. Not sure why. Maybe it's because it's been recommended to me about 15 times in the last 4 days! I'll be giving it a shot!

I can't speak to durability yet, but all signs point in the right direction.

In4d, I'm liking the Soft N Envy a lot, but I'll admit that the Photon is not my favorite. I'm curious what you like about it. I may just be thinking about it incorrectly and expecting it to do what it isn't supposed to do.

I haven't tried an Insanity yet, but I seem to be getting the feeling that maybe I should. Not sure why. Maybe it's because it's been recommended to me about 15 times in the last 4 days! I'll be giving it a shot!

I'll add another vote for an Insanity. I have a slightly gummy proton one that has been one of my go-to discs for a few seasons. I don't have a huge arm at all, but I can throw that thing on a frozen rope line out to 320' easily enough. Love that thing!!

The durability is also amazing. I've had a proton ion that's been thoroughly abused for a couple years now and it still flies exactly the same.

Was also excited to see you putting anodes. I throw a soft proton one and putt firm electron ones. Underrated, awesome putter!

And I could be wrong here (and someone here will surely verify one way or another) but referencing the ion, don't they share a core with the anode?

Was also excited to see you putting anodes. I throw a soft proton one and putt firm electron ones. Underrated, awesome putter!

And I could be wrong here (and someone here will surely verify one way or another) but referencing the ion, don't they share a core with the anode?

I'm pretty sure it's the same core, but I only putt with them, no tee shots. I don't think I'd have any issue putting Ions, I just happen to prefer that Anode feel right now. I don't know if I'd ever THROW either mold because of my lame grip.

I'd buy a stack of these!! Wouldn't even care what discs they were.

Awww!

In4d, I'm liking the Soft N Envy a lot, but I'll admit that the Photon is not my favorite. I'm curious what you like about it. I may just be thinking about it incorrectly and expecting it to do what it isn't supposed to do.

Hey thanks for hanging out... I'm looking forward to watching that good stuff fly!

I like the Inertia its a twin for the Insanity give or take across plastic types and wear. I rock a 155 and it will do some cool stuff took years to break in.. I can pretty happily throw my 173g too. The 155 can do shorter fairway duty or max distance lines. They advertise the Insanity is a broken in Inertia..

Don't be afraid to check out some of their lighter weight offerings they aren't crap like you might expect. You can probably do some damage with a max weight and lighter Insanity as a one two combo.

Relay, Resistor and Crave also get some love.

I loves me some Envys I settled on plasma preferably with a low shoulder and puddle top for me they fly straight and have less fade but that's as a putter. The soft N turns easier and hooks up more at the end. Definite tweaks to the flight across plastics, plh and shoulder.

I haven't tried a Photon that wasn't fission or light but I would say it's a mold of note in the 155 range they have decent stability and are really throwable, really nice for get out of jail flick shots... decent distance, it reminds me of the Flick 150's just not as stable. I use a 143 fission Photon and I rarely burn it. They have fission Tesla's too though and maybe that's a better fit for you.

No matter what discs you choose it's easy to tweak up and down with the flight between plastics, molds or Axiom/MVP for what you want just ask!

Last edited:

Insanity is one of the really glidey molds they make but they're still gyro so they still fly predictably. For me (max around 400' golf D), the Neutrons are very similar to P-PDs in stability or a Sidewinder. The flatter ones are just dead nuts straight off a hyzer, the one I've bagged the longest is really easy to put on a right drifting turnover.

I've got a P Photon that's in the upper 160s that is basically a glidey, seasoned Destroyer. It'll turn a little bit and slowly hook up for some dependable fade. It likes everything, flex line, hyzer all the way, flat, etc. The Plasma Photon I have is really domey and fairly stout. It's a decent distance disc for headwind. The flat, heavy N Photon was super beefy and dumpy, kind of like an XCal. I tripped on the tee and flicked that one right into the pond, oops. But that one laughed at headwinds. So honestly my impression is that Photons are kind of like MVP Destroyers b/c you can find one for various roles. You just need to ask AIM what kind of Photon you need for whatever you're wanting it to do. :thmbup:
Yeah, they're brother-cousins. Same curved inner rim. The Ion is bullet nosed with a bead, like a Wizard whereas the Anode is flatter winged like an Aviar and no bead. They throw really similarly though. I was really disappointed when the Anode came out b/c I was hoping it would be more neutral stable like the early Ions but they're basically just less LSS regular Ions. Do you like your putter to fade a bit at the end? Ion. Do you like your putter to finish straight the whole way? Anode. That's basically it. If you've thrown Wizards and VooDoos, it's like that.

tomorrow is the start of no mids in the bag

ions and volts (and a water disc)

big thanks to funguy <3

Thanks for the info! I'll probably check out the insanity first over the inertia, if only for the fun color combos!

Interesting what you say about the Photon. I've seen a number of them now in both N and P, and they've all looked and behaved the same. All flat, not much glide. Not that that's a bad thing, and even then I've been bagging one, but I've been surprised it's such a popular mold from my experience with them.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably check out the insanity first over the inertia, if only for the fun color combos!

Interesting what you say about the Photon. I've seen a number of them now in both N and P, and they've all looked and behaved the same. All flat, not much glide. Not that that's a bad thing, and even then I've been bagging one, but I've been surprised it's such a popular mold from my experience with them.

There was a shift in thinking after the Photon class discs. As I am sure you probably noticed, pretty much all of the drivers are more or less flat(except for some shoulder on a few discs) from the Photon class down. The two classes above them all have some level of dome. Some of the guys in here have been throwing MVP since well before the dome showed up and so we've all gotten used to throwing flat discs that don't necessarily glide all that well. You'll notice a lot of the newer to MVP guys are throwing Octanes and Catalysts, instead of Waves and Photons, not all but some do. Another thing that might have helped the Photon in popularity, is the Photon was the first disc released in Fission and those things BOMB in the lighter weights for guys with sub 350 power.

Plasma and Fission tend to have a bit of a rounded top compared to N and P and Plasmas tend to be slighter less stable than the other premiums. Fission just actually seasons like a normal disc, so they tend to develop some turn after a few months.

Might want to check out some plasmas of the flatter discs you haven't clicked with to see if you like them better.:thmbup:

Last edited:
There was a shift in thinking after the Photon class discs. As I am sure you probably noticed, pretty much all of the drivers are more or less flat(except for some shoulder on a few discs) from the Photon class down. The two classes above them all have some level of dome. Some of the guys in here have been throwing MVP since well before the dome showed up and so we've all gotten used to throwing flat discs that don't necessarily glide all that well. You'll notice a lot of the newer to MVP guys are throwing Octanes and Catalysts, instead of Waves and Photons, not all but some do. Another thing that might have helped the Photon in popularity, is the Photon was the first disc released in Fission and those things BOMB in the lighter weights for guys with sub 350 power.

Plasma and Fission tend to have a bit of a rounded top compared to N and P and Plasmas tend to be slighter less stable than the other premiums. Fission just actually seasons like a normal disc, so they tend to develop some turn after a few months.

Might want to check out some plasmas of the flatter discs you haven't clicked with to see if you like them better.:thmbup:
EDIT. I got that wrong, it was first released in Fission but I think the fizz volt was already out and the neutron photon was only available in LE circuit stamps that first summer...

ANother thing you might want to try is the sparkle proton. Those tend to have unique flights. A couple of the ones I've had, including an Inertia and a Wave, had a very late turn that I've never really been able to do with other discs consistently. Just don't have the spin control and for the short time I did have 400ft power, it was wild.

Some of the guys in here have been throwing MVP since well before the dome showed up and so we've all gotten used to throwing flat discs that don't necessarily glide all that well. You'll notice a lot of the newer to MVP guys are throwing Octanes and Catalysts, instead of Waves and Photons, not all but some do. Another thing that might have helped the Photon in popularity, is the Photon was the first disc released in Fission and those things BOMB in the lighter weights for guys with sub 350 power.

This makes sense.

I've clicked with Octanes instantly. I like the rim width, I like the dome. I'll consider myself fortunate to miss out on the great dome famine of 2014.

My Photon kinda overlaps with the Tesla in my bag. Hard to say if it'll stay bagged or not, but it's not like I think it's a terrible disc or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.