• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tangent

Is this perhaps a disc where a flat top may not be as desirable as a little dome?

Can't answer your question, but my 172g isn't board flat.
I did notice yesterday afternoon that @25 mph headwind didn't really affect the flight line alot. Hard to say that about many discs without sarcasm...

I have a board flat orange, and a tiny dome yellow. both seems to fly similar.

I recommend putting them into hot water for 5 min and set them on a flat surface to cool when you first get them, sometimes they can have warped or more domey shape after shipping.. doing this will settle them back to their intended form.

The more i throw my Tangents, the more i feel like i have been missing out on good neutral mid-ranges since i started playing. I didnt throw my beat axis once in my last tournament, i only used the tangent and beat/fresh vector combo hitting every line i needed.

i feel bad because my old trusty beat axis used to be my go-to for neutral straight to anny shots :(

the only reason to use the axis now would be for a little more distance and mild headwinds.

I love the looks on peoples faces when i rip a Tangent 250' dead straight to the basket..

"What disc was that?!"
> "the new MVP Tangent"
"Oh, i don't care for MVP"
> (sh** face grin) :D

Last edited:
The more i throw my Tangents, the more i feel like i have been missing out on good neutral mid-ranges since i started playing. I didnt throw my beat axis once in my last tournament, i only used the tangent and beat/fresh vector combo hitting every line i needed.

This exactly. I am normally around a 915-935 player with an occasion jump or fall from 860 to 960, but two weekends ago I carded a 989. 90 percent of my throws were either a Rhyno, Tangent, Star Leopard, or a 165g Champion TeeBird.

While I have been waffling between a Roc3 and a Ghost, that slot is/was my main mid spot. I will still need them for solid finishes or really powering up for a mid drive, but the Tangent did everything else from point and shoot to bending around corners when a little touch was needed.

Yea the point and shoot control i get with the tangent is unreal, i have never felt so confident that a disc is going to land where i am aiming and its a good feeling to have in touchy situations.

Tangent vs. Axis

JakeM. asked me if the overmold is the same and my examination says no. The axis seems to have an angular 'lip' under the wing while the tangent is very rounded comparatively. My apologies if somebody already posted this.
Tangent = white and Axis = green

bf2685b81a4f568d5afaa1bb91eebfe3.jpg

Also the Axis is a wider diameter.

10ab2122a8318c899bb5af073a7bae30.jpg

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but having received my Tangent last night and only having the time to putt in my back yard basket I noted how comfortable the tangent felt as a hard putter. My hit ratio wasn't any worse than my regular putters from the ranges I could muster in my back yard - out to 30' or so. I keep a Rhyno around for wind and the occasional short hyzer. I wonder how the Tangent might handle a bit of wind putting instead? Just judging by the rim, it doesn't look like the Tangent could be any faster than a speed 3.5-4. I think I'll experiment with this, any thoughts?

I've been throwing (and loving) the Tangent for about two weeks. I would say it's 4.5-5 speed. Very easy to control, but not sluggish. It's exactly what I wanted my Buzzz SS's to be.

Updated Tangent report:

I have been using the Tangent as a putter-midrange 'tweener for approaches and short drives. With its shallow rim and stability, the Tangent handles FH approaches beautifully. When I am in the rough, the Tangent even tolerates a stretch-out FH anny despite my less-than-stellar form.

Tangent is also brilliant at long, downhill drives. Its high HSS keeps it on line with no worries about being turned over by an unexpected gust of wind, and its minimal fade keeps it from finishing too far off line. Basically hit your line and it goes where you throw it.

I still haven't figured out how to throw the Tangent much farther than my putters, so I'm keeping an ESP Buzzz in the bag for longer straight midrange shots, especially those with a low ceiling. I expect that throwing high with nose down (not one of my strengths) is the key to better distance with this disc.

Maaaan, I finally got to take my Tangent & Tursas on the test drive I wanted, in a wooded course (Rosedale Down Under, Kansas City) and LOVED my frickin Tangent. Power it up and it was flipping over for effortless, glidey, beautiful anhyzers. This thing is what I was told the Fuse was for the last year. Absolutely loved it. Dial back the power and it is pretty much a dead straight shooter. MVP drivers haven't really been able to find a place with me, but the Tangent was an immediate yes. Can't wait to throw it some more.

Maaaan, I finally got to take my Tangent & Tursas on the test drive I wanted, in a wooded course (Rosedale Down Under, Kansas City) and LOVED my frickin Tangent. Power it up and it was flipping over for effortless, glidey, beautiful anhyzers. This thing is what I was told the Fuse was for the last year. Absolutely loved it. Dial back the power and it is pretty much a dead straight shooter. MVP drivers haven't really been able to find a place with me, but the Tangent was an immediate yes. Can't wait to throw it some more.

this was experience as well. tangent was the first disc i really gave a shot and it was an immediate success.

Can anyone compare the Tangent to an Ibex? Specifically, how well does it power down and what's the HSS and LSS like in comparison.

This is something I've been messing with a lot lately. The Tangent is a lot less HSS (more turn) and has a touch less LSS (less fade) than the Ibex. Powers down very well for me. I've got a fairly worn in Ibex that has some turn to it, but not as much, or really as controllable when powered down as my Tangent.

This is something I've been messing with a lot lately. The Tangent is a lot less HSS (more turn) and has a touch less LSS (less fade) than the Ibex. Powers down very well for me. I've got a fairly worn in Ibex that has some turn to it, but not as much, or really as controllable when powered down as my Tangent.

I find the tangent to have little turn (maybe -1 HSS at the most), unless i power it way up, then a little OAT can make it turn more and the LSS is like .5 its very neutral.

I throw alot of MVP though so my form and grip is used to the discs, and i am throwing with very low OAT.

this makes it an excellent disc for anny lines that go forever, i have not been so accurate with anny placements in all my years of discing.

I like putting it on a hyzer too it holds a hyzer line in a straighter forward pushing way, great for woody courses.

I've only thrown two medium Ibexes and one Tangent but I also found the Tangent to be less HSS and LSS. The Tangent will fly more neutral when powered down, but the Ibex will fly stable at higher speeds and has a little bit of fade you can play with. I think the two occupy different spots in the bag, but I could see a beat Ibex starting to cover a lot of the same territory as a fresh Tangent.

Can anyone compare the Tangent to an Ibex? Specifically, how well does it power down and what's the HSS and LSS like in comparison.

Very different discs for me (emphasis on the for me portion of that) I've had a variety of Ibexes, but I just took them out of the bag in favor of the more versatile Tangent. My bagged Ibex was a 176g medium, though I have used softs and firms as well. They all flew, for me, like a worn-in Z Buzzz with no glide. It definetly worked for shaping lines and for going straight, but (perhaps due to the lack of glide) to get it to work it required quite a bit of powering up for me...powering an Ibex down just made it go superstraight; to wit, it was difficult to shape lines with a powered-down Ibex. Still useful, but it just couldn't compete with the Tangent.

The Tangent (177g Stormtrooper) is more understable for me than the Ibex, but with more glide and, as I said, more versatile. Despite being US, it can handle quite a bit of power when thrown flat and still finish neutral or just slightly right when thrown RHBH. I can shape the same lines with the Tangent as I could with the Ibex (annys and big s-curves a little better) but with the added glide. It also hits and sticks, like an Ibex, which is something most MVP discs don't do. The main advantage for me is that the Tangent can be powered down much better. It will go dead straight when powered down, also like an Ibex, but I can still shape lines with it for a variety of touch shots.

However, saying all that, I would say for most players there wouldn't be a ton of overlap between the ibex and the Tangent. Theres quite enough difference that they can find plenty of room in anyone's bag...just not mine, because I got sick of carting around a "Feldberg bag"

I used the Ibex on Saturday at the Birdie Bash that AndyJB put on (great job BTW.) I'm not really a fan of Vibram's discs, but I was really impressed with how well the Ibex held a line on harder throws. It was also still easy to range when I powered it down. Won't replace a good Roc, but I may keep some around for bad weather or trips to new courses.

I was just curious if the Tangent is much different since I like MVP's plastic a lot better. I'm surprised to hear how much turn the Tangent has, sounds like it'd be better on lower-powered throws, but I typically prefer putters for stable/understable lines at shorter ranges. Not sure if I'd have a use for it or not.

I mainly use putters for approach shots as well, but for me the Tangent is still useful as a utility approach disc. It fills the gap between using a putter and a more traditional midrange.

Despite the fact that it is a very neutral disc, it handles clean power pretty well. I have a heavy Tangent that still fades off the tee if I give it some height. It's a different disc than the Ibex, but definitely worth throwing if only to try something a little different.

I mainly use putters for approach shots as well, but for me the Tangent is still useful as a utility approach disc. It fills the gap between using a putter and a more traditional midrange.

Despite the fact that it is a very neutral disc, it handles clean power pretty well. I have a heavy Tangent that still fades off the tee if I give it some height...

Great description of the Tangent. MVP have really found a niche with this one. The temptation is to start using it more to see how far it can comfortably push into other roles. It would seem to be a great 'one disc only' choice.

K.