• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Wave

So, been throwing a 165 plasma wave as main distance driver. Haven't got it too much air time yet due to everything that's happening in the world. But I'm curious what the stability change to a max weight neutron would be? Might want something with a bit more stability eventually.

So, been throwing a 165 plasma wave as main distance driver. Haven't got it too much air time yet due to everything that's happening in the world. But I'm curious what the stability change to a max weight neutron would be? Might want something with a bit more stability eventually.

There's a difference in stability, but it's not huge. I think the bigger difference you'll see with a max weight Neutron is that the Neutron is much flatter and doesn't glide nearly as well. Plasma really is the magical plastic for a Wave.

Dont listen to aphilso1 he's wrong haha. The difference is a little more than "not huge" , I would call a neutron a "much heftier brother" of course he's also the same dude that got me to get a plasma Wave (Thankyou!) claiming (correctly) that it was different enough to bag a 155 plasma and neutron (correct) haha. I wish I had the patience to quote, and dig... :D

Seriously though the same weight (165) in neutron is an excellent complement. Little beefier, probably comparable to a full weight plasma. I really feel like the plastic makes a huge difference to the Wave.. When my 161-3g plasma waves show up I can compare to my 155 neutron and plasma. I've been wondering where they will sit. I can control my plasma for anything and I reserve the neutron for downhill stability, wind etc. It's a tight 1-2 combo with the same disc.

Last edited:
Dont listen to aphilso1 he's wrong haha. The difference is a little more than "not huge" , I would call a neutron a "much heftier brother" of course he's also the same dude that got me to get a plasma Wave (Thankyou!) claiming (correctly) that it was different enough to bag a 155 plasma and neutron (correct) haha. I wish I had the patience to quote, and dig... :D

Seriously though the same weight (165) in neutron is an excellent complement. Little beefier, probably comparable to a full weight plasma. I really feel like the plastic makes a huge difference to the Wave.. When my 161-3g plasma waves show up I can compare to my 155 neutron and plasma. I've been wondering where they will sit. I can control my plasma for anything and I reserve the neutron for downhill stability, wind etc. It's a tight 1-2 combo with the same disc.

Haha, I may very well have said that back when I was at lower elevation. Now that I'm up in the mountains my drivers are all flying more stable, and overlapping more. I see very little difference in stability between my Neutron Wave, Plasma Waves, and Biofuzion Trespasses. The Plasma glides much better, so generally carries further. But the line itself is pretty close to my Neutron.

I built an all-MVP bag and fell in love with my 169g Proton Wave. Effortless distance out to 400 and had a few past 450. Big turn and lots of glide.

So I went to play a ball golf course and had a friend bring a max weight Plasma Wave because I wanted a touch more overstabililty. Long story short, the Plasma is more understable than the Proton and doesn't have the glide.

I read the last few pages of this thread and saw Discspeed asking for the same thing I'm looking for... a Wave with slightly more overstability without sacrificing the glide. Do these exist? I don't want to track down a HOFC Wave, I'm hoping for a stock solution. I'm fine with looking for domey/flat/whatever. Or is the solution to use a different mold?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance

I just got one of these in the mail today. It feels awesome. Neutron plastic I think it is. I got a couple throws with it before work and it's very promising so far. It went pretty far the couple times I threw it.

I built an all-MVP bag and fell in love with my 169g Proton Wave. Effortless distance out to 400 and had a few past 450. Big turn and lots of glide.

So I went to play a ball golf course and had a friend bring a max weight Plasma Wave because I wanted a touch more overstabililty. Long story short, the Plasma is more understable than the Proton and doesn't have the glide.

I read the last few pages of this thread and saw Discspeed asking for the same thing I'm looking for... a Wave with slightly more overstability without sacrificing the glide. Do these exist? I don't want to track down a HOFC Wave, I'm hoping for a stock solution. I'm fine with looking for domey/flat/whatever. Or is the solution to use a different mold?

Terns, if you're willing to change manufacturers. IMO a Wave is a far lesser version of a Tern. They have a fairly similar flight, but a Tern does everything better.

Terns, if you're willing to change manufacturers. IMO a Wave is a far lesser version of a Tern. They have a fairly similar flight, but a Tern does everything better.

Is there a gyro option? I'm searching for the same, and I'm the type to be stubborn with my manufacturer selection.....

My main 2 distance drivers are a *shryke and a neutron wave. I throw the shryke when everything is "clicking" and feeling good with my power and form. I throw the wave when I am not getting full power on my throws. The wave seems 2 fly straight and far with out as much power. Very forgiving for a distance driver:thmbup:

I really like the Neutron Waves in the 155 weight range but lately I have been throwing a 155 Star Tern because it is slightly more overstable. Mind you my max d is 340 if I was throwing around 400 I would probably just chuck Pro Destroyers for $10.

Nothing that is in the current lineup. Other than the HOFC Wave, the PNF Fission Photon is all I can think of. Current Fission Photons are BEEF!

I use a 168 Plasma Volt for that slot(terrified of losing my HOFC). It is a little shorter, but not by a large margin.

It's not Gyro, but the Mint Freetail is made at the same factory.... allegedly.

Last edited:
Nothing that is in the current lineup. Other than the HOFC Wave, the PNF Fission Photon is all I can think of. Current Fission Photons are BEEF!
OK thanks.
I have a 175g Fission Photon and it doesn't turn at 360' of power unless there is a headwind. It's an OK disc but not what I'm looking for as a WaveOS candidate.

What tends to be the least overstable Photon? Neutron?

OK thanks.
I have a 175g Fission Photon and it doesn't turn at 360' of power unless there is a headwind. It's an OK disc but not what I'm looking for as a WaveOS candidate.

No idea on the current run. Maybe someone else can help on that.

My PFN was a 138g. Glide for days and still come back at the end. I kick myself every couple months for selling it. Longest disc I have ever thrown. At the time, the thrower kept grip locking it due to rounding.. I should have kept it and just fixed my form... I have done so since then.

OK thanks.

I would have said fission, drop down to a 170g... or go nuts and head for 165 or less most of my Photons are early run, 143 plenty of beef in a light package. My 143 FR worn photon is fairly equivalent to a 155 wave neutron worn, definitely more stable than my 155 plasma wave fresh, kinda between the two, but leaning towards the more stable. It's a magic disc for me and uphill distance, stable but easy to throw. Form has to be decent and winds low.

I'm using a 162 fission Tesla big dome as my OS Wave complement. But that's also kind of a sweet spot for me with my forehand speed versus stability may not work quite the same for other people and I think probably the photon is a better bet for most who like the wave

Pretty much seems like a 155 photon is close to a 162 tesla, both fission. Drop a speed class and add 8g seems about right.

OK thanks.

It's not gyro, but a DD Trespass has a very similar hand feel to a Wave and Photon and fits in the middle of their stabilities. Unless you really want to commit to the gyro route, I'd look at a Lucid Trespass as a bridge btwn the Photon and Wave.

So for the more helpful non C88 version... but gyro biased..

Have you tried a 167 fission photon?

Every time I switch molds, speed, or weight class.. 7-8g is the magic number, it's like the 150's,160's and 170's are their own version of a mold. Less weight=less gyro.

I feel like the Photon is versatile across different weights, but I can't get a heavier one to move right so I dropped a speed class to Tesla and added 7g (to match a 155 photon)

Last edited:
I thought one of the touted effects of fission and lighter weight discs was more gyro? Less weight in the flight plate, rim remaining the same, enhancing the gyro effect?

Yes but the inside flight plate is roughly the same weight within 3g.. The majority of the weight added is in the rim. So 143 fission Photon has less gyro stability than a 165.

Latest posts