• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

n00bs and their discs

TOURNEYPLAYER

*Reform School Scholar*
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So, I was out at the park yesterday with my GFs 5yo and I decided to teach him the game that I love. this is a very simple course, 9 baskets, 2 sets of tees. nothing over 300 and all pretty open flat shots. I love this course for just Roc and putter rds. Anyways, I am shredding this pitch and putt with my Roc and Wizard and he is keeping up ok for a 5yo. I gave him my Opto Pure and a dx 150 shark. after nine holes we decide to go the football field and throw some more. when we get there, this dude wearing a cutoff tee shirt was throwing a Hot pink, max weight(upon investigation) Champion Groove. I decided to keep to myself and throw some distance lines on the other side of the field. he comes over and says ' I cant throw even close to that far" I said, "what is that in your hand"? "Groove" he says. I tell him to go throw it in the trash and I will give him a couple of discs he can actually throw. he then says and I quote " But this is my best disc for putting" I am at a complete loss at this point and hand him a Champ Archon. he then proceeds to throw it at least 100 ft past where his groove was landing. :clap:

TLDR: grooves suck, except for n00b putts.

You just gotta love someone who asks (because they obviously don't know), and then proceeeds to explain why you're mistaken with some sort of B.S. :doh:

Jumped in with a couple of noobs at the course yesterday and the guy throws his distance driver the last 60feet to the basket and it hits the ground and skips up and goes in the hole! WTF do I have to start putting with a groove as well?

Cut off sleaves or sleaves and stomach?

...these are important details to truley paint the picture.

You just gotta love someone who asks (because they obviously don't know), and then proceeeds to explain why you're mistaken with some sort of B.S. :doh:

:clap: That made my day, lol.

I played with a kid when I just started, who could putt pretty well with a groove. It was his only disc, and I'm pretty sure he had something like 7 aces on it at the time. I saw him make several 20-30 footers with it, it was crazy.

Why is it always the Groove?

A similar thing happened to me when a friend of a friend came out to play. He had a DX Wraith and played with it exclusively until he found a Valkyrie, a Cro and, you guessed it..... a Groove.

The Groove was his "best disc." Drives, upshots, putts.... all Groove all day, including the unique "pizza putt" technique he used. Kind of a cross between a turbo putt and a chicken wing. I finally extolled the virtues of at least using the Cro for shots less than 200', including putts, since that's what he had, and to spend $8 to get a dedicated putter.

He instead bought a Champ Beast, b/c that's what he thought would work the best for him according to Innova's flight chart. :\

I should've never suggested using the Cro as a putter b/c the next time we played, he proceeded to drill "pizza putts" from all over the place while I couldn't buy a make from inside the circle. :wall:

Even though these people are extremely uneducated on disc golf at least they are having fun. I mean We all say our putting sucks. And the reason it does it's because it's a mental game. The n00bs with their n00b discs have fun and they could care less wether they make the putt or not which is why their mental game is the best it can be resulting in pretty decent putting for a brand new player. It does annoy the s$%t out of me though when I'm playing with a n00b and their putting is better than mine when I actually practice it all the time :/

Most people start out with 1 disc that was given to them by a buddy, or a random one purchased at a retail store, or even with a catch disc.

Most of us figure it out...

Most people start out with 1 disc that was given to them by a buddy, or a random one purchased at a retail store, or even with a catch disc.

Most of us figure it out...

I've been there :doh:

I have a friend who only carries 2 OS Nukes. Drives and Putts with them and he's a 980+ rated player. Once again, it might be the indian and not the arrow.

To be honest - I have been playing since late December of 2012 - Went to a weekly kickball game and a friend of mine was throwing one of his across the field beforehand (Roc)- curious as I was I asked a couple questions and threw it once or twice - He gave me 3 disks (Leopard/Shard/Aviar all 150g) and I went out to my local park and threw them. Since picked up a free Nuke SS/Beast DX/Buzz D Line I was given by friends.

I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what the difference between some of these discs (other than what i've read off of websites) and understanding the distance ranges.

I joined this site (of course via a friend) and have found lots of info and the "beginner tech-homepage help".

So if you see me on the course just laugh at me with me ! I swear some of my questions might be dumb but the ? is dumb due to me being curious ! - but I did get the first rule right and not go spend $$$ of lots of dics !

By figure it out, I mean find what works for you. If you could whup my ass/have more fun than me by throwing only a Groove, then by all means, Rock that Groove!

I have a friend who only carries 2 OS Nukes. Drives and Putts with them and he's a 980+ rated player. Once again, it might be the indian and not the arrow.

He must not play any courses with trees.