• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Nebula" Style Dye Tutorial

this might be a dumb question, but i am wondering how you guys get such perfect edges and defined lines when you do your spin dye rings (wondernut) style. I cannot figure out how you do this. please enlighten a dying newbie. thanks in advance

This is a good start:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75932

Or you can try a turn table...

Then just get some paintbrushes and qtips...also I just helped answer a similar question pertaining to the dye mixture. I linked to it below...Keep in mind you can also try out using worm dye for this. I mainly use worm dye for bright neon lighter colors and a dye mixture for darker ones. Each to his/her own though. As with everything art related you may need to go through some trial and error. Can never hurt to pick up some used plastic to test out on. I prefer using white or clear discs, especially for spin dyes and nebula style dyes. Stencil dyes doesnt really matter so much. Hope this helps.

Heres the link to that:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2347402&postcount=2

I posted this in the dye a day thread but figured I should add it to this thread too...my new factory 2nd valk!

So when you are using iDye for lines, are you mixing it with detergent, or acetone? or both? :confused:

I have been just using an iDye/acetone mix...

Thanks for the tip with the towel and container as well, all the discs I have done with circles have bled a bit, but I was only letting em set for like 45 min.

There always seems to be powdered dye sitting on top of the lines afterwards, like some didn't dissolve in the acetone - anyone else ever notice that? Am I just going too concentrated?

That looks great!
Thanks man!

So when you are using iDye for lines, are you mixing it with detergent, or acetone? or both? :confused:

I have been just using an iDye/acetone mix...

Thanks for the tip with the towel and container as well, all the discs I have done with circles have bled a bit, but I was only letting em set for like 45 min.

There always seems to be powdered dye sitting on top of the lines afterwards, like some didn't dissolve in the acetone - anyone else ever notice that? Am I just going too concentrated?

I am mixing it with both. I usually pre-mix about 2 parts free & clear laundry detergent to 1 part dye powder first and maybe 5-6 drops of vinegar. Stir well. It cant hurt to let it sit for a bit so it has time to naturally dissolve into the mixture. A lot of my dyes I have mixed for spin dyes were mixed several months ago and I keep them in an airtight plastic container. They might goop up after setting some time but that can be easily thinned out with a few drops of acetone.

I usually add my acetone to it as needed. For example, I will take out just about the amount of dye mix (goop) I need out of my premixed container, put a little dab in a shot glass, then drop 2-6 drops of acetone as needed until it reaches the consistency I want. Not too thick, but not too thin. I like mine right in the middle. I use a chop stick as a stirring stick. Works quite well.

Then just always keep a ton of q tips next to ya to clean up any uneven lines. I use the precision tips q tips. I dip the end of the q tip in either vinegar or acetone before cleaning the line. Just a bit though. You dont want it drenched, just moist. I find vinegar works best for evening out/making a clean line and acetone helps to remove any unwanted dye from the disc, in case a line splatters out or something.

A while back I bought 3 Premiere line out of production Latitude 64 discs on clearance from MS for like $4 each. I used this one to try to draw a picture with a nebula dye. The mix is 5 parts detergent to 2 parts fabric softener. I tried one with all detergent and it is easier to move around where you want it than fabric softener, but alot of it sinks, so I added some fabric softener to lower the density a bit.

Theres a pic of the bed and of the disc - a Premiere Mirus. It is extremely domey, so the detergent spread out more than with a flat disc, but I still like it.

Attachments

• 0310141834b.jpg
    0310141834b.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 0311141728c.jpg
    0311141728c.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 177
I admire all you that can dye like this. I tried a simple dye last night and completely destroyed a disc haha. One day I'll learn to dye

A while back I bought 3 Premiere line out of production Latitude 64 discs on clearance from MS for like $4 each. I used this one to try to draw a picture with a nebula dye. The mix is 5 parts detergent to 2 parts fabric softener. I tried one with all detergent and it is easier to move around where you want it than fabric softener, but alot of it sinks, so I added some fabric softener to lower the density a bit.

Theres a pic of the bed and of the disc - a Premiere Mirus. It is extremely domey, so the detergent spread out more than with a flat disc, but I still like it.

Those look crazy! Thats awesome man keep up the good work!

just dropped the plastic into the second round of experimentation... this time using clean and clear instead of cheap ass dollar store hand soap... i expect much nicer results. I've got a series of pictures ill post upon its completion... but i work late tomorrow night, so it won't be until around 12 or 1am est. :popcorn:

My first attempt using this dye technique. This a star Tern that i had already stencil dyed a week ago. I used idye mixed with laundry detergent for all the colors. My bed was dishwasher gel. The bed wasn't quite big enough because there are still some light blue spots around the edge, but still happy with the turn out. About to give some champion plastic a try.

Attachments

• 22067ADD-91E8-4EF4-B3EB-01C4A2012473_zpsoymfyswt.jpg
    22067ADD-91E8-4EF4-B3EB-01C4A2012473_zpsoymfyswt.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 140
  • B7B6582D-D5E8-4E79-93E7-A427670B1BCB_zps0efxk06s.jpg
    B7B6582D-D5E8-4E79-93E7-A427670B1BCB_zps0efxk06s.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 179
  • AE4E2626-3076-4025-AB03-D5604B74EE3C_zps3umdkwpq.jpg
    AE4E2626-3076-4025-AB03-D5604B74EE3C_zps3umdkwpq.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 212
I've always known champion to not take these "bed" methods of dying very well... just a heads up. other than that, good first dip.:thmbup:

Well I left them in for 14 and 16 hours, but neither showed signs of even sitting in the dye. I guess it's time to go buy some new plastic.

Well I left them in for 14 and 16 hours, but neither showed signs of even sitting in the dye. I guess it's time to go buy some new plastic.

Try star, gold line, or neutron plastic. They seem to soak up dye like desert sand soaks up water. I'm not saying only try those, but for me they seem to be the easiest to dye.

Try star, gold line, or neutron plastic. They seem to soak up dye like desert sand soaks up water. I'm not saying only try those, but for me they seem to be the easiest to dye.

True this...Not a lot of discs are made with this type of plastic anymore, but grip line also takes well with this method. I dyed up my bros Spike a while ago. Came out pretty awesome.

I know I already posted this disc but the sun came out and I had to get a better shot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 137

Latest posts