• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Nebula" Style Dye Tutorial

Try star, gold line, or neutron plastic. They seem to soak up dye like desert sand soaks up water. I'm not saying only try those, but for me they seem to be the easiest to dye.

Thanks man. I'll keep that in mind when I'm out looking at discs next time. I've never thrown any gold line or neutron before.

So this is my first nebula I've done..im pretty happy with it thanks guys for all the info

Attachments

• IMG_20140403_160033.jpg
    IMG_20140403_160033.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 244
my confidence is waining when it comes to pulling off this nebula style... i think a video is in order odd man! bed pics are always a help too... i just put one in for my last attempt, and if it doesn't work, I'm going to be quite sad, as I'm donating this disc to a veteran. i get off at midnight, its 4:45... ill check it in the morning around 8ish.

my confidence is waining when it comes to pulling off this nebula style... i think a video is in order odd man! bed pics are always a help too... i just put one in for my last attempt, and if it doesn't work, I'm going to be quite sad, as I'm donating this disc to a veteran. i get off at midnight, its 4:45... ill check it in the morning around 8ish.
Ill see what I can do. I got an old spike disc of my brothers I wanted to re dye. Its got an old fading dye job somebody else did. Ill see what my phone video camera can do.

So this is my first nebula I've done..im pretty happy with it thanks guys for all the info

Very nice colors! I like the way that came out a lot. What disc and plastic was that?

This is a blue Tournament Tursas. The nebula background was idye black, gun metal, green, kelly green, and brown.

I also tried an experiment on this disc. Perhaps everyone already knows this, but I noticed that SC and detergent tye dyes tend to take the color off some stamps (like the colored westside and prodigy stamps). So I put lines of regular, undyed SC on this stamp to see if just SC takes it off and it did. Its a way to kind of make your own "flag" stamps, just without the colors.

Attachments

• 0406141712.jpg
    0406141712.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 227
  • 0406141721.jpg
    0406141721.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 167
well here are the results of my latest test run for nebula style... much happier w the results this time... still looks too much like a shaving cream dye though.

Attachments

• first nebula.jpg
    first nebula.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 207
well here are the results of my latest test run for nebula style... much happier w the results this time... still looks too much like a shaving cream dye though.

Looks nice...Might take a few tries to get what your after I suppose. I think a lot of it is just how you lay your dye out in the bed and how much you fan it out or swirl the dye around. Looks nice though!

Are you mixing your dye with laundry detergent or the dish gel? I mix my dye with laundry detergent and just use the dish gel for a base only.

i use my fly dye mix which is basically 100% clean and clear w your additives. the bed was also clean and clear. id like to try dish soap for the bed. i noticed the ink sank in the bed so i had to stir it up a bit. when i get out of class ill try and remember to post a pic of the bed, but I've got a lot of orders to fill tonight, and i picked up a retail partnership I'm now trying to keep supplied as well... so I'm getting a tad busy lol.

i use my fly dye mix which is basically 100% clean and clear w your additives. the bed was also clean and clear. id like to try dish soap for the bed. i noticed the ink sank in the bed so i had to stir it up a bit. when i get out of class ill try and remember to post a pic of the bed, but I've got a lot of orders to fill tonight, and i picked up a retail partnership I'm now trying to keep supplied as well... so I'm getting a tad busy lol.

The other thing that helps a lot with this method is just having a well shaped plate to begin with. I took a couple of drivers into the thrift store with me to find a few really good plates. If you can find one that basically perfectly fits the disc in the plate when you lay it face down, like more or less contours perfectly around the shape of the disc, that is the one you want. This will assure that the dye mix will spread nice and even outward towards the rim of the disc when you lay it down.

Then I would strongly recommend either dish gel or dish soap for the base over detergent, and keep the base just enough to create a buffer between the plate and the top of the disc. Keep in mind it will all spread outward when you lay your disc down.

As you said detergent kinda lets the dye fall to the bottom. I find that the dish gel and dish soap both work well for the base giving off different but interesting effects. The one I did on page 1 was done with dish soap, my later ones a few pages later, were mostly done with the dish gel.

I posted this in the dye a day thread a few days ago but I thought I'd share here too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 189
to be clear, dish soap is dawn, dis GEL is the stuff you use in a dish washer, correct? any color issues w them?

For sure. I just got the clear cheap dollar general dish gel for dish washers. It is lemony fresh. Like I said dish soap is cool too but doesn't hold your design as well since it's not as thick.

The other thing that helps a lot with this method is just having a well shaped plate to begin with. I took a couple of drivers into the thrift store with me to find a few really good plates. If you can find one that basically perfectly fits the disc in the plate when you lay it face down, like more or less contours perfectly around the shape of the disc, that is the one you want. This will assure that the dye mix will spread nice and even outward towards the rim of the disc when you lay it down.

What sort of plate do you use if you are dyeing the bottom of the flight plate?

What sort of plate do you use if you are dyeing the bottom of the flight plate?

Havent tried that. Id almost think you'd be better off just laying the disc upside down and applying the dye mix only to just the bottom of the flight plate. Maybe setting something on top of it. Small plate maybe? Id say something not too heavy though. Hard to find something that would be that size. Maybe trim the rim off an old disc. Not sure. Might not even need any weight on it. Im just thinking out loud...

Roggen really dig that effect and colors... Duff glad one came out for ya looks good, this is def something you have to play with.. Salty really like the colors you got...ok so my gf been watching me play with dyeing and she is attempting her first nebula will post pics.gonna b two dipp process she wanted to get creative!

Latest posts