• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need a long straight fairway.

Best long straight fairway

• Gazelle

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Cyclone

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • TL

Votes: 45 38.1%
  • FD

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • JLS

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 42 35.6%

• Total voters
why no Leo on the poll? :confused:

The OP mentioned he thought the Leo has too much turn. It's unclear how much experience he has with a brand new Champ or Star Leo though. Some start out pretty darn stable on a 300'-350' shot, and beating one in could help him learn to throw some turnovers like hyzer flips. A beat TL can do almost the same thing though.

If the leopard is too flippy and the Teebird too stable, try a Vibram Trak. It's my go to straight driver.

I use a Tee Bird, Jackal, and Leopard all the time, and for the shot you describe I go with the Jackal.

If the Leo is to turny, try a Lat 64 River. Weight and plastic will depend on your snap, but this guy has preternatural glide.

If the Leo is to turny, try a Lat 64 River. Weight and plastic will depend on your snap, but this guy has preternatural glide.

Weight is VERY important. I throw 180 G/L Rivers. Release them with a slight hyzer and they fly straight as a laser. The glide on these things is really unbelievable. Light Rivers are more Leopard like.

At 300-350 a leopard...even PRO isn't flippy unless trashed if you have good form. In powered down situations especially in tight trees I usually throw a trashed 10x KC Pro Eagle, Pro Leopard, and am starting to play wit the a S-FD. The Pro Leopard on a 300-350 shot pops from a slight hyzer and goes very very straight. The 10x KC Pro Eagle needs a good bit of hyzer and has some nice S turn to it. The S-FD is going to replace the trashed Eagle i think.

Weight is VERY important. I throw 180 G/L Rivers. Release them with a slight hyzer and they fly straight as a laser. The glide on these things is really unbelievable. Light Rivers are more Leopard like.

I've got a 169 G/L River that I use basically as a Leopard. You think going heavier G/L for less turn? I was wondering about the River in the Opto plastic. Any knowledge?

At 300-350 a leopard...even PRO isn't flippy unless trashed if you have good form. In powered down situations especially in tight trees I usually throw a trashed 10x KC Pro Eagle, Pro Leopard, and am starting to play wit the a S-FD. The Pro Leopard on a 300-350 shot pops from a slight hyzer and goes very very straight. The 10x KC Pro Eagle needs a good bit of hyzer and has some nice S turn to it. The S-FD is going to replace the trashed Eagle i think.

He already mentioned he can't throw a consistent hyzerflip. The OP primarily throws flat shots so he needs a disc that has the HSS to keep it from turning when released flat. I used to throw the same way and also had a gap in my bag for the 330-375 straight shot. A broken in Tsunami was my best bet, but it was a bit fast at times. After trying many discs I eventually figured it was easier to learn to hyzerflip. Not too many discs fly that line when released flat, but once you learn a hyzerflip shot you suddenly have tons of options.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've decided to go jls and possibly a tl. I tried a river a bit ago but it was 169 gl and I found it flippy to the point of being unusable. Maybe I'll revist a heavier opto as suggested

Straight Driver

This might sound crazy, but the straightest driver I've ever found is the Discraft Eclipse Pro D. I have been throwing them exclusively for years. They're hard to find, because they're old school, but they're still making them. The plastic is easy to beat up, but they actually seem to get better the more you beat 'em up! Cheap too. Several online stores still sell them.

This might sound crazy, but the straightest driver I've ever found is the Discraft Eclipse Pro D. I have been throwing them exclusively for years. They're hard to find, because they're old school, but they're still making them. The plastic is easy to beat up, but they actually seem to get better the more you beat 'em up! Cheap too. Several online stores still sell them.

I approve this message. :)

I think a fresh Champ Eagle with the L wing is the straightest fairway driver currently available.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've decided to go jls and possibly a tl. I tried a river a bit ago but it was 169 gl and I found it flippy to the point of being unusable. Maybe I'll revist a heavier opto as suggested

A JLS or a TL is a good choice.I've used them both before an they are great or what you are looking for.

The disc I am using at the moment for those shots is a Discraft Z Glide.It's quite possibly the easiest Fairway driver I have ever thrown and it goes dead nuts straight and has great glide for me.Get it in a heavier weight(mine is a 175) if you decide to get one.

I would probably suggest learning to hyzerflip and then choosing one of the discs already posted in this thread.

I'm looking for a long (300-350) fairway driver for tight wooded shots that goes dead nuts straight for a good while before fading. I'm thinking gazelle or cyclone...can't decide. Open to other options as well. For reference, by teebird goes between 350-400 on average and my orc is about the same (I don't throw anything faster.

the striker from latitude 64 especially in the opto line plastic, dead straight about an 8 speed fairway driver, or the express is a great one too

I'll toss in here

I've thrown TL's, Rivers, a Striker, and Saints

Rivers at 169 and 175
at 169 can be flippy, good for turnovers or hyzer flips
at 175 and if Opto will be quite stable, will be fairly straight, but you could pull off a good turnover

Striker
the one I have thrown a few times was a flattish Opto 170, new stamp

Saint GL 169, Opto 169, Opto 175

To me there wasn't much to distinguish a 169 Saint from the 170 Striker

the 175 Saint was much more HSS and had healthy fade

I never put the TL in my bag permanently as it was too close to my Rivers

Latest posts