• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need help developing better consistency...

Agree with SP. You aren't shifting your weight/center.

1. You should be looking at the disc, not over in the right backfield. Chin more over shoulder so the pendulum is straighter instead of coming around. Your backswing is not centered or shifted onto the rear leg, your center is stuck between your two feet and your feet are too staggered left/right. That is what causes you to bent/fold your posture around your rear leg in the backswing instead of turning back upright centered on it and able to look right at the disc. And is also what leads to 2 below. So if you start with your feet more inline/slightly closed, your center will be much closer inline to both feet and able to shift back and forth much more efficiently.

2. You are still jumping out of posture/early extension and going over top the front leg. Your elbow drops massively from the top of the backswing while your CoG has jumped up. Everything should be moving more smoothly together on plane. Need to maintain your elbow height/upper arm angle relative to the shoulder. That will create lag and space to allow the disc to come forward into your center/hug the disc, instead of dropping the elbow and hugging yourself. It will probably feel stupid trying to throw like this, but you will have to ignore your initial instinct: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133733

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwy1HNMfhbk#t=6m55s

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 8.48.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 8.48.12 PM.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 103
Thanks guys, honestly no idea why it's so hard for me to grasp some of these concepts after a few weeks of daily work. I suppose some just learn slower than others.

I played around with the Josh Anton sort of wide out reach back to watching the disc out behind me to my center and sort of loose sight of it extending out (not sure if the last bit is correct?) then catching it again in my right peripheral vision as the head gets pulled up and around.
I'm going to watch a tournament round he's in today get his form more in my head.

Consistency is better when I'm not going early, or standing up out of the shot. Standing up ends up being this floaty anyhyzer line out right, early seems to air bounce straight out.
One group was pretty solid landing 20 feet or so of each other in a circle definitely encouraging there.

Since its super hot and doesn't take much to get you worn out here right now, how does this strike you as a learning tool. Its right out back, the pillow is maybe just short of 2 feet corner to corner, has a little bit of weight to it. I have a solid wall so no windows were harmed although it will go through screen on the inside like right through. (Guess what I'll be doing this afternoon):wall:

Basically aiming it at a point on the wall I've stenciled in with marker and doing the long/ tilted reach back. Really trying to get on my front side before I start any movement with the pillow/disc forward. Also trying to make more leverage around and get that back leg weightless and out behind me.

I will still get out to the field an hour a day or close to it each week but making sure I won't pick up any more bad habits working this way when I'm not just throwing shots.

I've read the ball on a string concept so possibly a sock with some soft foam ball in it tied off shorter could work as well, see if it tilts in towards my body coming through opposite of lagging behind in the backswing. Maybe seeing it go from wide to neutral give me a better clue of when to start the arm forward. Make any sense there?

I'd be concerned width of the pillow would make swing too wide then hitting myself ends up being too loose though the mallet I had was about 3 inches shorter than the corner to corner width of the pillow, figure there should be some give there as well.

Again appreciate your advice guys.

Getting back into the swing

So after a pretty uneventful fall season and some injuries to over come I really want to re visit this and see if I can clean this up some more.

Watched some videos off the Heavy disc blog thought something clicked and wanted to go and try it out after working on some drills in the house in the evenings.

Still throwing primarily stand still throws, I feel like I have enough issues without adding in more complications to the mix unless making the jump to footwork is just going to be easier to tackle now.

Off the start I can see my weight is still somewhere between my legs not letting my hips get forward at all. That to me is pretty glaring from the hit point and possibly leading to the up to down to up swing plane, probably why everything was going nose up today.

From the rear, is the disc far enough wide of my body to get back to the 10 oclock hit point of release I should be aiming for? Also my balance I think looks bad from the rear, topping over the right side on release instead of finishing upright and grounded on that plant foot.

Be interested in some drills that address these primarily and which ones to work on in order to see some results next time. Really like to get that plant leg down, get the weight forward and clear the hip so the arm can come through.

Appreciate the sage like advice, gents.

I think swinging something heavy is going to help you a lot. Perpetual swinging back and forth. Sounds weird, but having a heavy thing to swing will force you to do some things right that are easier to "cheat on" with a (relatively) lightweight disc. Let's see what that might be able to fix then you could work on things one by one.

Last edited:
Agree with UN and you are saying.

1. Pendulum Backswing or Windmill over your head. Make your body move out of the way of a pendulum swinging straight back. I don't think your Anthon/Shultz style backswing is helping you move your body properly.

2. Keep your eyes locked on your thumb. Your head should be turned to the right shoulder, not the left shoulder. Also note how my head turn is basically inline/parallel with my rear foot angle, your head turn is crossed way over past perpendicular to your rear foot angle.

3. Turn your rear foot a little further back open and stagger your stance a little less closed.

4. Take a small stride/step with front foot either forward or toward the left tee side(starting with feet inline or elephant walking parallel to target).

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.03.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 8.03.08 PM.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 67
Back at it again

Threw some today and Yesterday didn't see much improvement yesterday so went back today with some firm goals in mind.

My take away from these as I'm looking at it

Side -
Not getting into the power pocket - Looks like the shoulder is powering the throw, or the disc is lagging from the arm being driven by the shoulder socket not the elbow
Step maybe a bit to late or the full swing back (apex) of the back swing is possibly a bit to early
Still looks like I'm driving off the back foot instead of collapsing into the front side (may need more shift diagonally)

Rear -
I thought looks better right up until that rear foot starts pushing like its pushing my COG up where that chest flair comes from
Possibly also a result of that off arm kind of jamming into the side of my body instead of inside the axis of where the rotation should be
Otherwise I think the head angle looks better, possibly not exactly inline with the shoulder just yet and the step helps get better leverage for me, they were consistently going further easier so that's a net gain for now

If I could just keep the rear foot from pushing against the front side instead of letting everything move forward I assume that's going to be a net gain as well

Was really working on the dingle arm concept, swing freely, loose arm, and trying to find that ever elusive balance. Also trying very hard to keep my eye on the disc, seems like I lose it between backswing and where I should see it over the nose of my toes moving forward.

I had the privilege of sitting in on a clinic with the Oakley's (Tina and Eric) they mentioned hitting lines by driving the top of the shoulder joint towards the target which may help me get into a better position front side chest without collapsing the angle between the arm (I am thinking bicep to chest) and the body, not sure yet if this applies to me and my issues but I'm not getting the meta physical sync up yet between the mind (concept) and body (performance)

I'm going to keep at this and get some more footage next week I hope, appreciate all the advice.

Your rear foot is really late to de-weight and you end up pushing off the rear foot during the swing which is doing weird things to your upper body.

Kick the can!

I am going to take a wild guess and say that you are trying to pull the disc on a straight line. If that is the case your form is pretty good imo. You can clearly see a powerful position where you are planted and ready to pull and lead with your upperbody weight just like you would pull a rope. My suggestion would be to you to do SWs swing/hammer drills and work on throwing the disc on a slight upward trajectory. Trying to fix body positions is going to be a rocky road if you are not trying to do the right task.

Latest posts