• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DGCR ratings - Who sucks worse than me?

So I've got a question that may be better suited for the Noob Question Thread. I haven't played too many tournaments, and I've only played one PDGA sanctioned. How many tournaments do you need to play to get points, and how do you find out your points?

893 and I'm happy about it. Too bad I never put in my terrible rounds. I'll start focusing on putting them all in now. I like this feature.

890 but I haven't kept up with putting in rounds since at least a year or two ago. Probably much lower than that especially since I play SuperClass 90% of the time now.

I saw someone say tough courses are killing their rating. I would hope that's not true and this rating is normed with others who have added rounds for particular courses, otherwise it's a worthless figure.

Anyway, I'm going to give this a trial. I'll play a tougher course and an easier course to see what happens. (In my neck of the woods, Vicksburg Rec. Area and the Air Zoo, respectively.)

From what I've seen, my mediocre rounds at the tougher courses get me a better rating than doing well at an easy course. For example, a -2 at Carver is rated lower than +15 at Bicentennial (not that you non-locals know these courses, but I think you get my point). So the tough courses actually don't hurt me at all.

So I've got a question that may be better suited for the Noob Question Thread. I haven't played too many tournaments, and I've only played one PDGA sanctioned. How many tournaments do you need to play to get points, and how do you find out your points?

You get points for every person you beat or tie in your division. The amount of points you get per person you beat or tie depends on the tier of the event and the division you're playing. On your PDGA players page should be listed the number of points you've earned. Of course, you only get PDGA points in PDGA events.

Last edited:
Okay, I went out and played two courses today, keeping hole-by-hole scores to experiment with this. The first round was at our toughest course in the area, Vicksburg Recreation Area. I actually played badly; I normally shoot par-and-a-half there (+9 for the long tees, 18 holes) and had some dumb shots that put me all the way up to +14. If you screw up there, you're taking some extra strokes unlike easy courses where you pretty much make par anyway.

So I shot my horrific +14, then headed a few miles east to play Indian Lake Nazarene Camp, a 9-holer that's pretty wide open and where a mistake-free round is -2 for me. I didn't play great there either, two rounds...-2 and an awful +1.

I think I'm going to need two more rounds to get an average. I know I'm meeting a friend on the 4th of July at Wilson Park in Mishawaka, IN. Fairly easy course, but lots of fun shooting from toboggan hills. I should probably pick a tougher course, but not as tough as Vicksburg, for the fifth round then.

Honestly, what I've done to see where I'd rate in the last few years is go out and play a course that will soon be used for a big tournament, then compare where my score would've been with the final results posted online.

970. If only I played more PDGA's so my ratings would be closer

Played Independence Lake and Rolling Hills today, and threw meh...a bit below my abilities:
Indy Lake (white): 80 = 841 rating
Rolling Hills (red): 58 = 840 rating
My PDGA rating is 860, so I'd have to say this seems pretty accurate.

The courses that you will most frequently get hosed on as far as DGCR Ratings are courses with lots of bendy wooded fairways and lots of OB.

DGCR Ratings are calculated based solely for these courses by being set a Heavily Wooded and the length of the configuration you played. Here is the FAQ.

The average throw length throw for a "Pro" on a Heavily Wooded course is estimated to be 255'. So, if the twists of the fairways and trees that even the best players will hit knock the average throw length below 255', the Course Rating (SSE) will be lower than it should be. OB is even worse since not only does it knock your throw length down, but it effectively adds a 0' throw to the average throw length (double whammy).

The other scenario where DGCR Ratings do not work is if the holes are really short (well below 355' for Lightly Wooded, 285' for Moderately, and 255' for Heavily Wooded). This gives the player (and the calculator) no chance at all of getting even close to that average length throw.

If, due to these factors, the DGCR Course Rating (SSE) is several throws lower than it should really be, it underestimates how well you played the course. So then your DGCR Player Rating will also be underestimated too.....killing your rating as you point out.
Thanks for explaining this. I think this explains why my rounds at Fire Fighters are rated so high. IMO, it's correctly entered as moderately wooded, but it the way it's laid out with the distances it has, a par round there comes out is about 950 rated. No way 54 there should be rated that high, but I can see how it gets calculated that high because of the distance a woodedness , but its simply not that impressive on that course. I'd say 54 there should be 900 rated at best, probably closer to 880.

Don't usually score casual rounds and I just happened to today. Might try and keep up more now.

Thanks for explaining this. I think this explains why my rounds at Fire Fighters are rated so high. IMO, it's correctly entered as moderately wooded, but it the way it's laid out with the distances it has, a par round there comes out is about 950 rated. No way 54 there should be rated that high, but I can see how it gets calculated that high because of the distance a woodedness , but its simply not that impressive on that course. I'd say 54 there should be 900 rated at best, probably closer to 880.

Looking at the pictures of Firefighters, I am guessing SSA is probably around 46-47. SSE is 48.7 - off by around 2 throws per round (if my guess is right). Honestly, that is not too bad of an estimate - less than 5% error). The annual tournament there is no help in narrowing down the guess since they add 6 holes and modify others.

If that is the case, each throw is probably around 11-12 ratings points so a 54 would indeed between 904 (if SSA is 46 and 12 pts is used) and 923 (SSA 47 and 11 pts).

The courses that you will most frequently get hosed on as far as DGCR Ratings are courses with lots of bendy wooded fairways and lots of OB.

Re-reading what I wrote here, I should have been more clear and said "are courses with lots of bendy wooded fairways and/or lots of OB."

Even though I don't really use the scorebook (I used to for every round) I think the ratings could be a lot more accurate if the level of woodedness could be selected for each hole, because a vague "lightly, moderstley or heavy" doesn't really tell the whole story.

Even though I don't really use the scorebook (I used to for every round) I think the ratings could be a lot more accurate if the level of woodedness could be selected for each hole, because a vague "lightly, moderstley or heavy" doesn't really tell the whole story.

I agree with this......but........a few big buts:

There are around 60,000 holes to be updated in DGCR. That is a lot of updates!

Accuracy of the system in place is very accurate for most courses (<4%....+/- 1 throw on a normal course), and within 10% (+/- 2.5 throws) on the vast majority of courses people care about and use. 90% accurate used to be an A when I was in school.....and an A was considered really good.

If you make the changes you propose, there will still be big misunderstandings on what Lightly, Moderately and Heavily means. And we will still have scenarios that the SSE formula cannot handle well (lots of OB, lots of short doglegs, very short courses). So, how much better will it really be?

So, why change something that takes a ton of work to fix in an attempt to get things only a couple percentage points more accurate.

If you really want accurate player ratings go and play several well attended (50+ competitors) PDGA events.

Apparently i don't to the OP. Sitting at 860 which is higher than my PDGA rating but also includes many more recent rounds than my PDGA rating which is only 2 tournaments from this past year.

I guess it is fairly accurate but also I have a few courses that the recorded round was the first round ever on that course. Also one on the local course I play all the time which was in the 900 range. I have 8 rounds recorder so it seems I have fair sample of courses out there from fairly easy to really hard courses such as idlewild.

I know that we were talking yesterday as we were playing that we seem to be spending less time in the woods searching for discs so hopefully that is a sign of improvement.

Thanks Timg this is really cool to have!!