• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New DIY bag to replace Cabela's?

pfpro

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Check this bag out. Similar to the Cabela's one, but there are some differences. Big concern is whether or not a putter (or two) would fit in the front pocket above the sunglass holder. I think the lower compartment should fit discs.

Nearest Bass Pro is just under 3 hours from me - probably won't be there to check it out until after Christmas. Anyone actually touched this one?

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Stalker-Backpack-Tackle-Bag-or-System/product/1304050935/

It looks like the bag uses the 3600 tackle boxes so it will probably not be the right size to hold discs. If you are looking for a bag try to find one that uses the 3700 boxes.

I'm not a fisherman, so I don't know the nuances. The Cabela's XPG bag (may it RIP) holds 4 3600 series tackle boxes, and the discs fit in well enough (with the mods as listed on that thread). My Cabela's is going strong, but if it ever wears out, am always looking for an alternative…..

Specs say it's 9" deep, so should fit discs. Back and straps look nice. Looks like a Flak shape. Not sure about the top compartment, looks like cooler insulation. Side storage likely useable but not ideal. I like the mesh pocket on one side and velcro straps on the other. Decent looking bag, might be a solid DIYer.

Last edited:
its about time, this bag was supposed to be out in september. altho it says 9" deep, that is not the interior pocket size, there is about a 1"+ pocket on the outside of the front flap. but ya it also wont work cause its 3600 series boxes

measurements should be 11" W x 7" H x 8" D

Yeah, depth specs are misleading. I always get the bag in hand first. If that front pocket allows for some extra room in the front compartment, it still might function. But that is why I usually stick with the 3700 tackle boxes as a rule of thumb.

Has anyone tried this bag ?

i was at bass pro a week or so ago and didnt see the bag at all. i assume they will have them at my local when spring gets closer.

I stopped by there, and there was one on the shelf. It looked like it could work - the bottom might be tight, but if you built a cage it would probably work. What I didn't like is that you can't put a putter up high. That zipper on a curve is definitely NOT wide enough for a putter. You could put one in the pocket on the flap, but it would fall out every time you opened the flap.

This bag looked like it had potential, you could use that pocket to probably hold 3 putters easy. I am not a fan of how it looks, so I think I would pass on this, but it may be an option at the right price.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Sho...tem/product/10204414/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

I ended up buying this bag to give it a try. The depth isn't the problem, it's actually the height of the opening that causes problems. Without a PVC frame it's not that noticeable but once the PVC frame was in, then either carrying less discs or a bit of forcing to get them in and out is required.

So depending on how particular you are about the comfort/simplicity of this bag vs. the cost, that's sort of where this bag stands. I can post some pictures if people want to see.

I ended up buying this bag to give it a try. The depth isn't the problem, it's actually the height of the opening that causes problems. Without a PVC frame it's not that noticeable but once the PVC frame was in, then either carrying less discs or a bit of forcing to get them in and out is required.

So depending on how particular you are about the comfort/simplicity of this bag vs. the cost, that's sort of where this bag stands. I can post some pictures if people want to see.

Pics please! :clap::clap::clap:

Okay,
Here's the pics I took before I did any mods. I ended up heavily modifying this bag because I wasn't happy with the size of the front opening. But it can work if you're not that picky. I like this bag because of the insulated upper section.

First pic is just crooked camera angle, the bag sits really well with the PVC frame inside. Second image shows the lack of clearance. That was my biggest disc so this can be worked around by carrying less discs and angling them in and out of the bag. Third image shows the profile, as you can see the discs fit inside perfectly fine.

I've pretty much completed my mods to this bag, I haven't taken pictures yet but I can upload those if anyone wants to see what it looks like after mods.

Attachments

• IMG_20140213_225425.jpg
    IMG_20140213_225425.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_20140213_225458.jpg
    IMG_20140213_225458.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20140213_225611.jpg
    IMG_20140213_225611.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 166
Okay,
Here's the pics I took before I did any mods. I ended up heavily modifying this bag because I wasn't happy with the size of the front opening. But it can work if you're not that picky. I like this bag because of the insulated upper section.

First pic is just crooked camera angle, the bag sits really well with the PVC frame inside. Second image shows the lack of clearance. That was my biggest disc so this can be worked around by carrying less discs and angling them in and out of the bag. Third image shows the profile, as you can see the discs fit inside perfectly fine.

I've pretty much completed my mods to this bag, I haven't taken pictures yet but I can upload those if anyone wants to see what it looks like after mods.

Nice - where do you put your putters?

I ended up sewing a piece of heavy duty nylon on the top front there so I have a putter pocket that fits 2 - 3 discs.

I did try the side pockets and they'll fit one disc for sure, possibly two.

bass pro shop diy bag

Well I for 1 can say that I rocked this bag out.....the upper cooler compartment has a zipper bottom which opens so you have access to the entire bag...I built a pvc frame that has a built in putter pocket ..I also added additional pockets below to create a kinda spinal tap feel to it.....I had it set up the way everyone else has it with the full row of discs at the bottom....they fit fine mind you but I don't like accessing it that way....sominesfully opened holds 14 discs in segregated areas which i like..very sturdy bag and I also flexseal the bottom......

Attachments

• 20140405_054155.jpg
    20140405_054155.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 194
diy bag

Added more pics so you can see the possibilities....

Attachments

• 20140409_051738.jpg
    20140409_051738.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 20140409_050454.jpg
    20140409_050454.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 20140409_050538.jpg
    20140409_050538.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 126