• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New NON-backpack bag advice, 18+ discs

delta109

I currently have a millennium flak3 its been good, but honestly i miss my old fade tourny for a number of reasons that I'm not going to get into. I'm looking to switch back to a traditional bag. Ive kept my eye on the Gorilla Boy Kong and Voodoo Karma. Is there any other high quality large bags that i'm forgetting? (not the Carolina)

Ill take any personal experiences with either bags or any comparable bag too.

Sorry if this is a double post, I did search, I swear.

Thank you in advance

Your user name has delta in it. Ever consider a cart? :D

If you don't mind waiting go Gorilla Boy. I've heard Voodoo bags are built though as well. I don't know of any better options than those.

Until they put a bottom on the water bottle pockets I will not support Revolution, especially at the prices they're asking

I have been using a Voodoo Karma for a few years now and the bag is still in fantastic shape. The side pockets are what sold me on the bag as I can stuff a lot of extra gear in there (probably too much).
I had a fade tourney bag that I used before I bought the voodoo; I notice that my butt does not get as wet from rainy day rounds as it did with the fade bag.

Would second the gorilla boy products. I had a silverback for some time, and it was easily the best traditional golf bag I ever used. It's been a number of years since I carried a normal bag though, there might be some good options out there now.

MVP Nucleus Tournament Bag

Holds 18-22 discs (including 2 in front putter pocket)
Black primary fabric with bold color accents (lime, pink, red, royal, or yellow)
Attachments available for included shoulder strap, or for MVP Back Straps
Rigid padded bottom
Rigid and thickly padded walls
2 Insulated drink holders
Screen printed accented MVP bar logo
2 Internal velcro dividers
4 Ball feet to keep off ground and extend the life of the bottom
2 Full size zippered side compartments
2 Quick access side pouches (great for a few minis, phone, keys, etc.)
Adjustable shoulder strap included
Pencil holder next to putter pocket
Small utility pocket next to putter pocket
Zippered pouch inside of the zippered side compartment
High quality materials and craftsmanship
Protected with a Limited Lifetime Warranty

The MVP Nucleus is pretty awesome, my brother in law uses it and loves it. If the sniper hadn't come out I probably would have gotten one of these.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

asc349; a cart is not really feasible, too much rocks and elevation to haul one around.

Aim For The Chains, Teamkiller;
I havent seen the MVP nucleus before, looks like a good option, I especially like the rubberized bottom/feet. That is one reason why i'm straying now toward the Voodoo or Nucleus, for more rock protection with the protected bottoms.

I do know about the rubberized plastic spray mod, and I'd rather avoid it. Spending a good amount of money on a bag, I feel you should get that standard. Unless i'm mistaken the Kong doesn't have a rubber bottom.

The Kong has extra thick material on the bottom. It doesn't need to be rubberized. If you decide to go Gorilla Boy, you will be more than satisfied. I've owned my Silverback for 4 years and it is in great shape.

With that being said, you will be happy with a Voodoo bag. I own a JuJu and it is one of my favorite small bags.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

asc349; a cart is not really feasible, too much rocks and elevation to haul one around.

Aim For The Chains, Teamkiller;
I havent seen the MVP nucleus before, looks like a good option, I especially like the rubberized bottom/feet. That is one reason why i'm straying now toward the Voodoo or Nucleus, for more rock protection with the protected bottoms.

I do know about the rubberized plastic spray mod, and I'd rather avoid it. Spending a good amount of money on a bag, I feel you should get that standard. Unless i'm mistaken the Kong doesn't have a rubber bottom.

A friend of mine got that MVP bag and the bottom bows terribly when fully loaded with discs. The feet point out to the sides because of the bowing so they don't do much good. I told him to add a rigid plastic bottom to the inside of the bag to fix the problem, not sure if he will but it really needs it.

I have a Squirrel Monkey currently, and I really like it. It was totally worth the wait. It replaced a Voodoo Mojo.. mostly because I also have a Golfmahal, and didn't need a large second bag. Really hard to go wrong with either. In general though, I think I like the Gorilla better.

I have a Fade Tourney, Flak 3 and Flak 4. The Flak 4 is my tournament bag. Personally. I'd go back to the Fade Tourney. Nothing to hype here. Hundreds of rounds. And it's still in great shape.

I love my VooDoo Mojo. The build quality is fantastic, and the bag is very comfortable with Quads.

I also have a Lat64 Pro Bag that I got as a gift. I really like its four-point shoulder strap, it's a nice alternative to Quads. The bag has a larger capacity than the Mojo. I played a round with some guys where we shared a pool of 27 discs (9 putters, 9 mids, 9 drivers). The Pro Bag held them all (admittedly some were in various pockets) and was pretty comfortable to carry.

The only backpack I have experience with is the Magellan, which is strapped to a push cart....:thmbup:

I've been rocking a innova discarrier for 7 years now still in great shape. Only wear that may need to be addressed soon is the mesh on the bottom of the bottle holder is just starting to tear. But after 7 years that is minor. I use it all year long snow/rain/rocky ground it has held up great. I have had to replace quad straps twice in that time but the bag is going strong.

I'm going to try and switch to a backpack-style bag. I can give you a good deal on a DD Solider if you're interested! :thmbup:

The bag I keep coming back to is the FADE Crunch Box. I've carried it for five years and it's just now starting to come apart. That thing has been through hundreds of rounds on rugged terrain. Hopefully FADE can step up to the backpack game soon. Their products are top notch!

So I'm a bag whore.

I have a Mahl, Karma, Mojo, Fossa Tourney bag, Fossa little bag, and Lat64 Pro bag.

The Mahl is amazing, but like you I missed the tourney style bags.

While the Lat64 pro bag has most storage, the Voodoo are by far the best made and best feeling bags I've used. Durable, lots of storage, and just sit well.

If I were to go out an re-buy bags, it would be the Mojo. The Karma is huge, and great for tourneys, but the mojo is the best all around bag. Same storage capacity as the Karma, just holds fewer discs.

The fade tourney is definitely a fall back plan. I'm not adverse to carrying extra discs for practice rounds, im currently sit at 20 discs. And I like to own just one bag to uncomplicate things.

I did notice that Voodoo just released a new version of the karma/mojo/juju. Are they any different than the previous versions? I do dig the karm in brown, and they stopped that color production.

Looks like they just made some slight improvements. Side pockets canvas not mess, is the only change I see right now.

A friend of mine got that MVP bag and the bottom bows terribly when fully loaded with discs. The feet point out to the sides because of the bowing so they don't do much good. I told him to add a rigid plastic bottom to the inside of the bag to fix the problem, not sure if he will but it really needs it.

Haven't seen this in the year so far with the two MVP bags I see regularly, maybe he is squishing it or something. Both people I know leave their bags in the car in houston heat with a full 20+ discs in them + junk. As always YMMV.

Latest posts