• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Ohio Courses

Ohio thread start date:
post_old.gif
03-18-2011, 01:49 AM

Michigan thread start date:
post_old.gif
10-22-2011, 10:48 AM

Who copied who? :popcorn::D

Any further word on this? Columbus could use more courses (couldn't we all?).

Yeah, I was thinking about this rumor the other day.... I think I heard they bought the baskets at least a year ago.

I also heard rumors about a course going in at Grove City at the Nazarene church. No details though... There needs to be something on the south end.

I know Lynn-Hunkler Memorial Park in Morristown Ohio has an 18 holer on the way. Pretty pumped about that one because it will be the 1st Disc Golf course in my home county. It'll be nice to have a place to play when I visit home

Hello,

You are correct that there is a new course at the Lunn-Hunkler Memorial Park in Morristown, OH. The course had its primary tee pads poured before Christmas of 2013.

There are currently 18 holes, with poured tee pads for primary tees and marked areas for alternate tee pads. The course plays in the open fields and in the woods, and covers a majority of the park land. Many of the holes have elevation changes. Straight, hyzer and anhyzer drives are well represented on this course. There is a little bit of something for everyone of all skill levels.

The course was designed by Josh Nagy and Associates, and was 3 plus years in the making. There is still work to be done, such as benches, signs, etc. But through Josh's efforts to maintain the course as much as practical, getting from one hole to the next should not be too difficult.

Specific course details will be added to DGCourseReview.com and PDGA.com when available.

Hole 1's primary tee is located across the drive from the veteran's war memorial signage. Some parking exists near hole 1, with other parking spread throughout the park. Pavilions, picnic tables and portable restrooms currently exist as amenities. Discs can be purchased at Bel-Morr Market, which is located south of I-70, on SR-149.

The easiest way to access the course is from I-70 (exit 208), turn north towards Morristown, turn west on USR-40 (National Road), turn right towards downtown Morristown, and an immediate right into park, near hole 18's tee pad.

If you are in the area, please stop by and enjoy the newest course in Belmont County!! :)

Lynn-Hunkler Memorial Park - Morristown, OH

In response to the previous posting about the newest course in Belmont County, please find attached a rough course map.

Attachments

• Lynn-Hunkler_Memorial_Park_DGC(rough).JPG
    Lynn-Hunkler_Memorial_Park_DGC(rough).JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 26
Well I couldn't find a better thread to put this is, and since all you haters, hate when people make new threads, I put it here.

Anybody in the Columbus / Pickerington area, Simsbury DGC is in desperate need of some new course pics. I looked at the pics online and decided that would be a good place to move up to intermediate......ooops. That course has a "grown up" a lot since those pics were taken. What an awesome and tough little course that is, kicked my butt.

NECROBUMP!!!

We should have the 11 baskets that we have purchased in the ground at Shawnee State Park by the end of July! The course is very hilly and the longs are Blue and shorts will be red. When all 18 holes are in the ground, the long/long configuration will be a par 61. This should be a rather challenging course. Check out Southern Ohio Disc Golf Association on facebook... or check out the progress on the "Executing the Dream" thread her on dgcr.

We plan on having an opening tournament on October 10th. Lots of good cabins, rooms at the lodge, and camping sites.

Right now a new course is trying to be approved in Medina, but there are issues popping up. Some people around the planned course do not want a course because they want the area to be turned into a large park with no activities like baseball, soccer fields, and disc golf. The decision is up in the air at the moment.

I thought I heard somewhere that a ball golf course was being converted in Columbus to disc.
Anyone have any info?

I thought I heard somewhere that a ball golf course was being converted in Columbus to disc.
Anyone have any info?

From Paul Jay via the Central Ohio FB page July 11

Walnut Hills Disc Golf course will be installed Soon! Not sure on when opening for play yet.
The city of Columbus is graciously installing an 18 holes course This course will feature multiple pin locations(DGA MACH III TARGETS), as well as long and short tees (5'x14), possible junior tees also.
Lots of mature trees, although not a wooded course. Some elevation, a creek and many of the original greens as well as tee areas were utilized. Bunkers will also play into the course but will be grass or flowers and shrubs. A beautiful putting green will also be a great feature.
A definite awesome addition to CBus disc golf. !!!

I was told it will happen soon. My understanding is one contractor will be installing everything, Playground, walking path, and course. So you would think it will happen quickly. Keep in mind it may not open immediately because of seeding, planting, ect..
When it happens it will be a matter of mowing fairways and greens. Basically a plant and play situation. Shule will be minimum.Links style fairways will be another feature of this course.
I believe the wait will be worth it.
Myself and Derek Warner designed the course and will be on site for installation.
Two other young disc golfers are involved with creating and designing tee and course signage. Sorry I don't recall their names
I will post when I hear some good news.

There is a new course at Deer Creek State Park, The Jeremy Lewis Memorial DGC has 9 holes at this time. We just installed the tee signs and as soon as I get the kiosk installed we are planning a grand opening. As soon as funds are available we are going to install the back 9. Chuck Custer and Ken Rollins designed the front 9 for the beginning player but our plans are to make the back 9 much more challenging. We hope everyone gets out to this course and let us know what you think.

I didn't mean to be a downer about the course. I'm excited to have new options in the area, and thrilled to have a course I can go play on lunch. Paul Jay did a great job designing Simsbury out in Pickerington, so having him involved makes me optimistic. Plus maybe it'll pull people off the courses I like to play.

The flip side, and reason for my concern is that I've spent a little time near that course. I have a co-worker who lives in the apartments that surround this course, and I can foresee major issues with trash and vandalism here. I'm hoping for the best here, but not expecting much based on the neighborhood. It would be nice if they'd put 18 new baskets in Hoover, and take baskets from Hoover to this course. It'll be a shame to have nice new Mach III's get beat up.

If you doubt me, check the crime statistics for 1875 Fountainview Ct, 43232 on RAIDSonline.com or Trulia. It's certainly not the worst area in town, but it's probably the worst/second worst with a disc golf course.

I didn't mean to be a downer about the course. I'm excited to have new options in the area, and thrilled to have a course I can go play on lunch. Paul Jay did a great job designing Simsbury out in Pickerington, so having him involved makes me optimistic. Plus maybe it'll pull people off the courses I like to play.

The flip side, and reason for my concern is that I've spent a little time near that course. I have a co-worker who lives in the apartments that surround this course, and I can foresee major issues with trash and vandalism here. I'm hoping for the best here, but not expecting much based on the neighborhood. It would be nice if they'd put 18 new baskets in Hoover, and take baskets from Hoover to this course. It'll be a shame to have nice new Mach III's get beat up.

If you doubt me, check the crime statistics for 1875 Fountainview Ct, 43232 on RAIDSonline.com or Trulia. It's certainly not the worst area in town, but it's probably the worst/second worst with a disc golf course.

The part that bring a little hope is that it's not just a disc golf course going in, but a full park. I hope this brings out more people, and maybe a more secure feeling along with it. It will be about half way to Picktown for me, so having a closer option other than Hoover/Alum/Kinslow/Blendon will be nice. But I doubt I'll play alone.....

I'm less worried about playing alone than I am about damage to my car honestly. The people around there aren't bad, and I've never felt unsafe when dropping off my co-worker. But there are lots of burglaries and car break-ins on the crime stats. Given that I drive a convertible, I'd be an easy target for sure.

Latest posts