• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Ohio Courses

Well, I'm not scared of playing this part of town solo (being originally from Youngstown) and am fine letting Griggs continue to be a complete traffic jam safely in Upper Arlington while courses in the 'hood continue to pop up for me.
This will probably become home base for me in quick time.
I play Community park in Whitehall all the time and nearly always have the course to myself and no problems.
The more people that play, the safer it will seem.
I'm not far away just over in OTE, so feel free to drop me a line when its open.
Any ETA on an opening date?

It's in the city's hands right now. As Paul said on FB "Not sure on when opening for play yet."

With the BHMO coming up, I'm sure this course is taking a back seat at the moment.

Cool.
That area doesn't look so bad, either.
Has an elementary school backed up to the course, too.
Course look pretty (Google maps) and its clearly going to be a wide open driving course.
Also nice its right close to an exit off of 70.

Drove past the course today on lunch. There's no work at all being done yet, but there were a couple guys from a construction company out poking around the abandoned tennis courts. I'd guess late spring/early summer of 2016 at the soonest for this course.

My mom's mustang had its convertible top sliced open while visiting family in Columbus...

It can happen anywhere, but it always sucks. In college I had a convertible top sliced so people could steal my stereo. The ****ty thing was that I used to leave that car unlocked since everything inside it combined would cost less than the ragtop to replace...:wall:

Last edited:
Drove past the course today on lunch. There's no work at all being done yet, but there were a couple guys from a construction company out poking around the abandoned tennis courts. I'd guess late spring/early summer of 2016 at the soonest for this course.

Hard to say. Paul Jay seems to think it will happen this year

I was told it will happen soon. My understanding is one contractor will be installing everything, Playground, walking path, and course. So you would think it will happen quickly.

Paul would know better than me, and depending on the resources they're going to throw at it this year is certainly possible. But there is zero progress right now. No baskets or playground equipment sitting around, no ground broken for the playground or tees, etc... But if Paul's got the course laid out the second hardest part is done. Now someone just needs to get the government moving. :p

At least it is more reynoldsburg area. But even so I don't feel uncomfortable at the Whitehall course and I feel that one is more shady.

I've been out of Columbus for 3 years and I've heard Griggs is a zoo, so sounds like there is need for new good caliber courses within the city. Glad to see they are trying!

Played 18 in Whitehall yesterday. Group of three guys passed by me in the woods to go fishing, a group of ladies were jogging in the lower valley, another group of older folks were out hiking with a dog and it seemed one of them was showing the others the ropes.
When they passed by he was even explaining to them to look out for disc golfers and that you can always tell who were are by the bags we carry. Another husband and wife (it seemed) were finishing up when I made the turn for a second 9, and another group of three (also with a female member) were teeing off at the end of my round.

I've had WAY more issues with Upper Arlington residents acting like entitled douche bags to disc golfers, or massive groups of bros hogging the course and getting hammered at Griggs. I don't even bother to go there anymore.

Community Park is way more interesting, and challenging, than Griggs.
The areas in Whitehall that are the problem aren't at that park.
Its almost always empty, as a matter of fact.
Give it a chance.
If ladies feel safe enough jogging, then I'm not gonna worry about playing solo.

Well, just to solidify my earlier remarks that Whitehall isn't the course to worry about, just got harassed and intimidated playing solo at OSU by three total pieces of human garbage disc golfers. Had head phones on and went to start a second round and vaguely heard screaming as I was teeing off. It happened a second time on a second shot and I realized a group of college aged guys who had just finished playing were heckling me from their car in the parking lot. I was dumbfounded. Took out my headphones and they were making childish remarks about me being a fat fag, and looked like they were aiming for a fight, so I just continued on since the were off the bat acting insane and I was by myself. They then took it upon themselves to drive by me and yell out something about me being a faggot, and continues screaming out the window as they went to leave the main road at which point giving them the bird prompted them to hit the brakes and get of to the car. The passenger got out and made a huge show of puffing out his chest and screaming something. So tough, 3 on 1. I yelled "What the **** is your problem?" (the only thing I said to them the whole time), but continued to play since I just couldn't really believe any of this was even happening. The passenger was the real aggressor, tall and lanky with a bad wife beater tan, and a short squirrelly one with I think wire rim glass was driving a blue (maybe slightly purpled blue) what seemed to be an asian car, maybe a Kia or something. I'm pretty sure they had a third in their group, but if he was in the car he never got out during the whole thing. Honestly, never had something like this happen on a dg course so was kind of just dumbfounded the whole time. All happened right between 7:15-30 tonight. These guys were total human trash, though, so keep an eye out and beware.

I'm trying to convince the local parks department to install a 9-holer at Whitetail Park in Montville Township(Medina), Ohio. There are 4 courses in Medina, but there are none in Montville Township. We'll see how things play out. It would most likely be a seasonal course, playable during the summer and winter. I'll post here if my plans get approved.

There appears to be an epic new course in the works in Aurora, OH at Sunny Lake Park. Baskets are in, but no signs as of yet which makes it very difficult to navigate. I was told there will be a 9 hole beginners course and a full 18 advanced pro tier course. That appears to be no lie, as I encountered multiple holes at 800+ feet, all in the woods, and requiring significant throws over water (250'). Went back just for a walk with my family and saw at least one area dug out for a concrete tee pour. This is really one to keep an eye on, and assuming it is completed and well kept it will rival Punderson in the NE, OH area.

There appears to be an epic new course in the works in Aurora, OH at Sunny Lake Park. Baskets are in, but no signs as of yet which makes it very difficult to navigate. I was told there will be a 9 hole beginners course and a full 18 advanced pro tier course. That appears to be no lie, as I encountered multiple holes at 800+ feet, all in the woods, and requiring significant throws over water (250'). Went back just for a walk with my family and saw at least one area dug out for a concrete tee pour. This is really one to keep an eye on, and assuming it is completed and well kept it will rival Punderson in the NE, OH area.

Awesome news! I'm 30 minutes from Aurora, so I'm pretty excited to hear that news.

I don't have a ton of information, but I have heard an 18 hole course is in the works in Avon Lake. All I know is it is being developed in a public park.

Brunswick Disc Golf

So right now, I am in touch with the parks director in Brunswick about getting a course put in. He is extremely interested, and I gave him the contact information of some local designers. Keep an eye out for some news in the future!

The new course at the old walnut hills golf course in Reynoldsburg/East Columbus now has teepads and baskets in. Facebook rumors have the course not open until spring and there are no signs yet, but I played it today and saw several others out there. I'm guessing they would prefer to keep traffic low until the new grass has a chance to get established. It should shape up to be a great course. Short and long tees all around and 2 basket positions. Most are in the 350' range but even the few shorter holes are challenging requiring accurate drives for a chance at a 3. Great use of existing trees to force lines and/or protect baskets.

It's alright, but I'll reserve judgement until the course is finished and ready to play.

Not a lot of shot shaping going on. Just a whole bunch of throw hard and far.

Lord knows that I'm still working on Blackbear DGC at Shawnee State Park. Slowly, but surely. Still lots of work to do out there.

It may not be a "new" course, but if you haven't played The Players Course at Alum Creek in the last year, you owe it to yourself to go see the changes that are being made. Most holes have 2 tees now, and 5 have truly epic/ungodly hard gold tees. Much of the nasty underbrush and scrub foliage have been cleared, but they've maintained the integrity of every hole. I have played there half a dozen times in the last month, and have always seen at least one person working on some aspect of the course. I am sincerely impressed with the amount of love and work that "they" are showering on this course.

Oh yeah, rumor has it the same folks have secured permission to put another course in nearby.

Latest posts