• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Rit Formula = No Dying Discs

did 3 dyes this morning. all of them are a dye of a 13 point bolt :D the first two had some bleeds but the last one turned out perfect!. my lines could be a little straighter but i guess that will come with more practice. i will try and get pics up soon

None of the liquid that is marked ND on the lid works. All of the liquid has had the formula changed. However if you find an older bottle it does work.

It would be cool to find a more reliable dealer besides RIT who does dye discs. I got a feeling i wasted some money at walmart the other day. I really wouldnt mind having to order it

What brands will work?

I skimmed through this entire thread and only found a couple mentions of other brands that work for dyeing. If anyone knows of some brands that work for sure, could they please post em up? I'm specifically looking for the brightest orange, yellow, and pink colors. Neon if its available.
Thanks a million in advance! :hfive:

These will work and I've been meaning to post it here for awhile. Higher quality than RIT and without the salt. A random lady from the RIT facebook page contacted me after I posted something there, and wow....she's a serious pro dye person! She's done a few discs just as experiments (not a golfer or a dye artist) and she sent a pic of one in orange she did using this dye. Looked great!

http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/home.php?cat=401

I just used the liquid rit dye this past weekend, Scarlet red and Kelly green and they both worked. I had to leave it on the hot dye for almost 30 min each but the colors still came through. The longer I would leave it the more ture the color was. The scarlet red went from orange to red orange to red. I used all star plastic discs besides one champion. The champion didn't work as well but you could still see the design but I don't recommend using champion plastic.

I found old RIT at a Rite Aid here in town. It's easy to spot the old stuff as they changed their logo a bit recently and you can check the copyright date on the box.

These will work and I've been meaning to post it here for awhile. Higher quality than RIT and without the salt. A random lady from the RIT facebook page contacted me after I posted something there, and wow....she's a serious pro dye person! She's done a few discs just as experiments (not a golfer or a dye artist) and she sent a pic of one in orange she did using this dye. Looked great!

http://www.prochemicalanddye.com/home.php?cat=401

Have you tried this stuff? Do you mix with water like rit and idye poly?

Have you tried this stuff? Do you mix with water like rit and idye poly?

I haven't...pretty well stocked up with RIT right now. And yes, it's water soluble just like RIT. According to her, it's the same type of dye but much better quality and without the bulk of the salt that RIT adds for multipurpose reasons. I'm going by our conversation and the info (and pic) she shared. This lady is like a pro scientific dyer. I'd have to go look, but I think her name was Paula Birch, has a really vast website. What she was explaining to me about RIT and disperse dyes was way over my head, but she apparently knows her stuff and then some. Pro Chem is a good company and I had great service ordering from them years ago. She didn't mention if she used the dye carrier or vinegar/citric crystals, but I'm thinking it wouldn't be necessary for discs, nor would the boiling temps they suggest for fabric dyeing. If I remember right, the carrier just helps to get deeper colors on hard-to-dye fabrics but with plastics we just wait longer at lower temps. I might pick up some of the flame scarlet and see how it does, but probably not til after the holidays.

Would it be safe to assume that this stuff is more concentrated than RIT because it doesn't have the salt in it? I am tempted to order the sampler pack they have but wasn't sure if the quantities of each dye were larger enough (10 grams) to be usable. If it is more concentrated, it may work fine.

I've seen those dyes before from prochemical and wanted to try them. A typical package of rit is 1 1/8th of an ounce and most of that is salt. The iDye packet is 14g and the dye is far more concentrated than what's in rit, 10g would be more than enough to dye with for quite a while.

I've seen those dyes before from prochemical and wanted to try them. A typical package of rit is 1 1/8th of an ounce and most of that is salt. The iDye packet is 14g and the dye is far more concentrated than what's in rit, 10g would be more than enough to dye with for quite a while.

Thanks for the info.

used some Rit Black #08511 today for my first dye job. It was super black in 10 min or less... Guess I'll have to go buy the other boxes of dye since it worked good... now, I'm hooked on dying disc!!! my hobbies never end :)

more no go's...

So, I tried a couple different brands I found at local stores. One was a brand named "Tulip" and the other was "Dylon". Neither worked at all when using the hot dye bath method. I used really hot water and soaked them for 10 mins and not a touch of color was added to the discs. :thmbdown:

An easy way to tell if another dye has a chance of working is to check the packaging to see if it says it will work on synthetics, most dyes you find are only for natural fibers and those won't work on a disc.

Latest posts