• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie disc advice.

taylor310

Ok, I bought 2 discs when I knew nothing about them at the time and realize it was a mistake now but its too late. I currently own a Champ Beast and a Champ Valkyrie.

I just within the last week started throwing with proper technique. I have been using the valkyrie on most throws, but I am thinking i probably need to get a tier 2 disc. Since I have become somewhat accustomed to the valkyrie already which of the tier 2 discs do you think would fit me best? Should i get a more overstable tier 2 disc?

There are occasions i can throw 300 ft, but i would say i usually fall in the 200-250 range.

the valk's speed would normally rank it among tier 4, but it's quite flippy in the greater swing of things so i put it in tier 3 as it's probably the easiest of the super fast discs to throw.

as for the lower tier'd drivers, in reality, they are probably more stable than a valk, just much slower. the gazelle (i only recommend dx plastic on this one) is probably the most (over)stable of my tier 2 list but i find it very controllable.

if you are occasionally cracking 300', but have an average somewhere in the 200-250 range, then you are on the right track and would probably benefit very much from mastering a tier 2 or slower tier 3 disc.

slower discs will yield a smaller variance in your throws. while a gazelle may not go as far as your valk on a max d rip (probably about 20' shorter), it should yield a more predictable distance, e.g. 240-270' vs. 200-310'. once you can consistently break 270' with a gazelle, you are definitely ready for the next step. the key is in consistency.

as for how they stack up in the long run...
i can throw a gazelle about 340-350' vs. 370-390' w/ my dx valk. not a substantial jump, especially when the gazelle will be more accurate on just about every throw.

I went to academy and bought a Leopard and a aviar putt and approach.

I didn't like the leopard at all, so i returned it pretty much immediately. I wish they would have had a gazelle, but i guess i will just have to go to another store.

taylor310 said:
I went to academy and bought a Leopard and a aviar putt and approach.

I didn't like the leopard at all, so i returned it pretty much immediately. I wish they would have had a gazelle, but i guess i will just have to go to another store.

What didn't you like about the Leopard?

When my max D was in the 250'-300' range the Leopard was the best driver I had. It flew very straight from a hyzer flip with very minimal fade and would glide forever.

Latest posts