• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Offseason Improvement Thread

Yeah, be careful swinging inside. Swing slow and effortless. Try some super slow motion swings and feel the tension in the wrist. Your grip looks really choked up on the handle, move it down to the end.

After lots of trial and error, here's where I am at with the slow motion drill. Lots of adjustments to far, I'm sure lots more to go. How does it look?

Looks like your hips are naturally anteverted?

Note how your front heel spun outward and you are tipped over and the Hammer would pull you around like a rag doll.

Note how my front heel moved inward, toes still on ground, and I'm braced up against the rear side like a Hammer Thrower.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 3.31.10 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 3.31.10 PM copy.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 73
Looks like your hips are naturally anteverted?

Note how your front heel spun outward and you are tipped over and the Hammer would pull you around like a rag doll.

Note how my front heel moved inward, toes still on ground, and I'm braced up against the rear side like a Hammer Thrower.
attachment.php

One of my knees naturally point inward, yes. Also, my left hip is higher than my right hip by default. I've been through PT for it, but not much has been fixed.

With regards to the throw, I've been working on bracing against my back leg during the back swing, but also staying stacked over my center of gravity. Then, to initiate the forward throw, I've been planting my front foot and pushing off my back foot, almost like the end of the "Load the Bow" drill. Finally, I've also been really trying to exaggerate the leg and hip movements in the drill.

I think I'm moving in the right direction?

One of my knees naturally point inward, yes. Also, my left hip is higher than my right hip by default. I've been through PT for it, but not much has been fixed.

I think I'm moving in the right direction?
Somewhat and that makes sense with what I'm seeing.

1. Stop staring at the camera, keep your eyes on your thumb/disc.

2. Your stance is too wide like close to foot. Should be a more compact shift from foot to foot.

3. Your rear foot is rolling over and knee leaks outside ankle, so you have lost leverage.

4. Your front heel is still spinning out wrong direction.

attachment.php

Attachments

• slow motion drill 3.jpg
    slow motion drill 3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 68
Somewhat and that makes sense with what I'm seeing.

1. Stop staring at the camera, keep your eyes on your thumb/disc.

2. Your stance is too wide like close to foot. Should be a more compact shift from foot to foot.

3. Your rear foot is rolling over and knee leaks outside ankle, so you have lost leverage.

4. Your front heel is still spinning out wrong direction.

attachment.php

The golf drill posted clears up a lot of the confusion, so thank you a ton for sharing it.

I'm really struggling with my front heel spinning out, and am actively distributing the pressure in my feet to try to prevent this. I'm also feeling a lot of pressure in my left buttocks during the drill, bordering discomfort.

Below is the most recent refined version. I think I'm still struggling to prevent my heel from spinning out? It wants to really badly.

So I've been working on slow motion throws, then speeding things up. I filmed my "sped up" slow motion drill, and then did slow motion videos of stand-still throws.

My spine tends to lean towards my back foot and stay leaning back as the disc transitions from loading up to forward momentum. Is this a problem?

Also, with the slow motion footage, my foot still sometimes spins out. My confusion, though, is shown at 1:35 of the slow motion video. My heel turns toward the target, but this is during the initiation of the forward momentum. Is this also a problem, or is something like this ok?

Anything else you see that I should work on? Spring is only 3 months away. 😅 Good news is, I've been getting better spin and more consistent distance. My throws have been a lot more reliable. Even had my first ace ever the other day.

Faster slow motion drill:

Slow motion stand still:

Not sure what video you are ref to 1:35?

I think you are humping the goat in transition, extending/thrusting the hips away from the wall in Buttwipe/Hogan Power Move instead of keeping butt pressure back against the wall. That seems to be the only way I can make my shoulder rise like yours in transition.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133543

Not sure what video you are ref to 1:35?

I think you are humping the goat in transition, extending/thrusting the hips away from the wall in Buttwipe/Hogan Power Move instead of keeping butt pressure back against the wall. That seems to be the only way I can make my shoulder rise like yours in transition.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133543

I took a pretty deep dive into learning about this last night, and absolutely this is occurring.

I found a drill that I'll work on this weekend to try to build muscle memory.

As a personal observation and comment… it's amazing how much information is available compared to when I was 16. At the driving range, your only source of swing information was either books, or advice from other golfers, good or bad. I'm pretty envious of most people growing up now with how easy it is to access good information.

The other observation and comment is how infant disc golf is with regards to best practices and swing mechanics. A lot of the broad community (Reddit, Facebook, etc.) hasn't made the connection between the ball golf swing. This leads to re-inventing the wheel and some pretty bad advice on some of these other forums and even in some popular YouTube videos. The only real feedback I received prior to making this post is "your foot is pointed out too far" or "you're reaching back too early" without getting into the actual physics, mechanics, or drills. It's the equivalent of getting tips from a guy at the golf range who may or may not know much about the swing themselves.

It's interestingly similar to being at the driving range when I was young.

So, in other words, pretty grateful this forum exists. your feedback is a hidden gem in the disc golf community IMO.

So I worked on my standstill while thinking about the hip movements during the wind up then after. Most closely, I worked on my front hip movement.

With "humping the goat", during the forward throw, the thrower rotates the left hip back in the same direction it came, essentially rotating around the front hip. From what I've learned, the thrower, instead, should pull the front hip backwards during the throw, by kicking back off of the front foot during the weight transfer.

In the video, right before the 1:30 mark, I try to "hug myself" less for the rest of the throws.

It's not perfect. I should probably loosen my shoulder up more, plus I'm naturally hunchy. But I think it's starting to look better? Maybe?

1. Keep rear foot tippy toes on ground at address behind front foot. You keep kicking the rear foot ahead of the front foot for some reason at address. The rear foot should not move further away from target going into backswing, you want to build resistance/leverage against the backswing, not move the foot back/fulcrum with it.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134167

2. Your rear heel should lead the toes forward. Your foot spins around so your toes are leading heel.

1. Keep rear foot tippy toes on ground at address behind front foot. You keep kicking the rear foot ahead of the front foot for some reason at address. The rear foot should not move further away from target going into backswing, you want to build resistance/leverage against the backswing, not move the foot back/fulcrum with it.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134167

2. Your rear heel should lead the toes forward. Your foot spins around so your toes are leading heel.

Ok, I think I got those things figured out with the stand still. I'm pushing off my toes of my back foot. I also didn't realize how much goes into a proper address, nor how important it is.

I also have been working a bit on the reverse stride drill. Definitely have been taking way too wide of a plant step prior to doing all of this work.

1. You are gripping the disc nose up.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3440757&postcount=4

2. You are still goat humping, you stand up out of posture and your shoulders end up behind your knees/hips instead of being in athletic posture with shoulders/chest forward over knees and hips and disc.

Thanks, I need to find a way to maintain the wrist down position naturally. Whenever I stop thinking about it, my wrist returns to a wrist up positions.

With regards to the athletic position, I noticed virtually all of my discs were releasing on a hyzer and maintaining that angle through the entire flight path. So, as a result, I stopped maintaining the forward lean to compensate. Is this something I should just ignore for now and assume the discs will naturally flip up as I build more power? Or is there something I need to correct with my wrist angle (twist the keys to the left to compensate for the body positions)?

Thanks, I need to find a way to maintain the wrist down position naturally. Whenever I stop thinking about it, my wrist returns to a wrist up positions.

It isn't really a wrist down position, it is a grip.

NNHrgADl.png

For me I found what helped me understand it more was to hold the disc in a nose down position with might left hand and then put the disc into my right hand. I switched to a three finger grip based on playing around with this since that helps ensure the disc is more nose down.

It isn't really a wrist down position, it is a grip.

NNHrgADl.png

For me I found what helped me understand it more was to hold the disc in a nose down position with might left hand and then put the disc into my right hand. I switched to a three finger grip based on playing around with this since that helps ensure the disc is more nose down.

I've been teased relentlessly in life for having freakishly long salad fingers. After reading about Gibson's 3 finger power grip, I'm convinced this may be the grip for me. Will experiment and film in the garage during nap time today.

I've spent most of my time today being frustrated with my front heel and working to prevent it from spinning out. I finally have it down.

From a front view, it looks like I'm still hugging myself, so I recorded from the rear view to evaluate…

I also put some work into the reverse stride drill. I'm not feeling nearly as good about this one…

It's really difficult to find a wall long enough to do this and record. This is the best I could do. Pretty straightforward. I'll try to incorporate into my standstill tomorrow. Let me know if you see anything off. Thanks a ton!

Note your funky chicken posture - anterior pelvic tilt/extended spine with elbow retracted behind spine.

Note my cobra posture - how my pelvis is flatter and spine is slightly flexed/relaxed and rear elbow hangs in front of my spine.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 3.39.53 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 3.39.53 AM.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 34
Note your funky chicken posture - anterior pelvic tilt/extended spine with elbow retracted behind spine.

Note my cobra posture - how my pelvis is flatter and spine is slightly flexed/relaxed and rear elbow hangs in front of my spine.

attachment.php

Man, my head literally rides the wall because of my hunch 😂. I really liked the trends shown in the video you linked. I tried really hard to replicate my hip movement to match what the trends were showing in the swing. Since this is a new movement to me, I actually tried to exaggerate the level of pelvic tilt at each stage of the swing.

Latest posts