• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Offseason Improvement Thread

Looking better. Focus on the backswing and transition in this drill. The drill kind of breaks down early in the forward swing because the elbow should really go through the wall to get to the power pocket. If you focus too much on the later part of forward swing in this drill it might start to work against you by forcing your elbow to drop instead of going out.

Looking better. Focus on the backswing and transition in this drill. The drill kind of breaks down early in the forward swing because the elbow should really go through the wall to get to the power pocket. If you focus too much on the later part of forward swing in this drill it might start to work against you by forcing your elbow to drop instead of going out.

I'm pretty excited to incorporate this into my standstill this weekend.

I do have a proactive question… so in the transition, the hips are suppose to tilt back from being dipped down in the backswing. At this stage, my weight naturally wants to transition to my heels. So, should I also focus on keeping my weight on the balls of my feet (while also pushing off of the back foot)? Then my spine will naturally balance towards the balls of my feet to counter act the force of my hips tilting back, creating the cobra posture. I think this is starting to make sense.

So I did a very short amount of work after work, and didn't really have much time to review it myself (to be fully transparent).. I just wanted to get the film out there for some feedback going into the weekend.

Slow motion drill:

Reverse stride:

Man, you extend your spine/hump the goat, so much going into the throw. You thrust your hips so hard your shoulders go behind your hips so you are leaning way back/limbo, instead of being in a shoulders ahead of hips athletic cobra posture position/shoveling/battering ram/lumberjack. You want to get lower during the transition into the throw, not taller or doing the limbo.

Man, you extend your spine/hump the goat, so much going into the throw. You thrust your hips so hard your shoulders go behind your hips so you are leaning way back/limbo, instead of being in a shoulders ahead of hips athletic cobra posture position/shoveling/battering ram/lumberjack. You want to get lower during the transition into the throw, not taller or doing the limbo.

I’m really struggling with this. If I correct my pelvic tilt, I lean way back. If I have my shoulders tilted forward correctly, then I have too much of a forward pelvic tilt. My body is really struggling to get into the cobra posture. The video below I attempt to get into it, and I think the rear angle is a better way to capture it. It feels like I’m basically compacting into the disc but also really hunching over. I have no idea if this is correct.

The second video I’m basically trying to do the same thing, but with the “falling into” motion. It’s a struggle.

Should be more relaxed. Less knee bend. Shoulders forward swinging over knees/hips.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 5.08.39 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 5.08.39 PM.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 59
Should be more relaxed. Less knee bend. Shoulders forward swinging over knees/hips.

attachment.php

Thanks - this is a huge help. After trying to replicate your posture, I think I've realized that my pelvic angle naturally moved to the correct position if I'm actively leaning over my feet in transition.

I'm concerned that I'm leaning too far forward over my feet? Definitely feels different, which is a good thing if this is the desired result.

Yes that is closer, but your head is too far over toes. Keep your rear foot on the ground before going into backswing. You keep taking a step back which undoes some torque/leverage.

Yes that is closer, but your head is too far over toes. Keep your rear foot on the ground before going into backswing. You keep taking a step back which undoes some torque/leverage.

So, between my entire family having Covid and it being negative 100 degrees outside, I haven't been able to get out to the garage to throw into the tarp.

This is probably a good thing, because I've been instead practicing my standstill at 60% power to try to build muscle memory.

Does this look any better? I think my head is out over my toes correctly, but still not sure about the pelvic tilt.

Backswing looks ok on the first couple, but you over turn your head on the first one for sure and your rear knee/hip remains locked/extended in transition instead of flexing/relaxing/sitting.

As you went on you got sloppy, going way too fast at the end.

Stop doing the left arm punch - just hold a beverage keeping the elbow close to hip.

Backswing looks ok on the first couple, but you over turn your head on the first one for sure and your rear knee/hip remains locked/extended in transition instead of flexing/relaxing/sitting.

As you went on you got sloppy, going way too fast at the end.

Stop doing the left arm punch - just hold a beverage keeping the elbow close to hip.

I took a stab at flexing and relaxing the knee. I'm also not positive about how much I should turn my head back, so I attempted to just keep it on my front shoulder as other sources of form tutorials have suggested (I believe Drew Gibson is big on it?).

That looks better, but your right leg remains bent in your finish, instead of standing up on it.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134167

Great! I did some work in the garage today for about an hour. I'm probably not coiling as much as possible in the videos below, but was pretty tired from the work and recovering from Covid.

Few things I'm wondering…

am I winding up too high? That's where gravity tends to let the disc fall, but it looks like it's coming across my chest pretty high as a result?

Does it look like I'm still humping the goat? I'm actively trying to keep my head over my front foot to avoid that.

Not sure what else? Maybe not flexing my back leg enough?

I think part of the problem is you are swinging downward with the disc nose up.

Note how my backswing is pulled taut at the top so I'm turned much further back and my lower arm drops with the elbow.

You still have slack left in your arm/shoulder so your shoulder externally rotates so your elbow drops/points down and lower arm rises/scrunches up in the power pocket.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 2.29.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 2.29.16 AM.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 52
I think part of the problem is you are swinging downward with the disc nose up.

Note how my backswing is pulled taut at the top so I'm turned much further back and my lower arm drops with the elbow.

You still have slack left in your arm/shoulder so your shoulder externally rotates so your elbow drops/points down and lower arm rises/scrunches up in the power pocket.

attachment.php

I feel like I'm pretty taught in these videos, but something still doesn't look right in how I'm doing the drill.

I put a lot of focus into correcting this based on Hampejo's video. After this drill, I did some field work. All of my discs were releasing super high, so I had to correct. It felt like I was trying to throw it into the ground to get a good elevation. It felt like a drastic change from normal, but it make sense as I'm leaning more back at the "impact" position.

You are still too far forward/north with your CoG in the backswing, you want to get your head/shoulder right over rear foot.

I suspect that behind tee view would show your CoG is also too far east/right behind your front foot/heel.

Keep your chin above your shoulder and far away from your ear.

You are still too far forward/north with your CoG in the backswing, you want to get your head/shoulder right over rear foot.

I suspect that behind tee view would show your CoG is also too far east/right behind your front foot/heel.

Keep your chin above your shoulder and far away from your ear.

Ok I put some work into keeping my CoG over the balls of my feet during the entire backswing and follow through, as shown in the rear footage below. Regarding my chin, are you saying I should keep it over my right shoulder the entire time, rather than letting my right ear end up about the shoulder?

How does the below look? I'm thinking my spine may not be sliding forward in the direction of the target, rather just staying in the same spot from transition to follow through? I'm also wondering if I'm getting above my back foot enough. It feels like, if I move any further back in my backswing, I'll actually get stuck back there and not be able to throw forward. What do you think?