• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Out Of Bounds Question

How wide is the OB line? If it were as wide as a disc and a disc landed only on it, even though that disc is only on the OB line, it's OB because the OB line is OB.

If the OB line were 1 inch wide, and a disc landed on the line and the OB area past it, it's OB.

Now, shave only a fraction of an inch from the IB side of the OB line and that same disc would be IB.

The width of the line must be standard to avoid this.

My original question is this. If a disc flys, skips, rolls or otherwise legally travels OB and then back IB, without stopping until it comes to rest IB, is it IB? I think so because of "comes to rest."

And, in casual play, with no marked IB or OB, what do y'all usually call the bounds? We've been playing street, sidewalk, fence and out of the whole damn park or course (whichever applies) as bounds. Once a disc is resting all the way in, over or out of any, it's OB. We haven't landed in water yet and play any rough as IB. We like play where it lay.

If you can't get behind your disc because of said rough, and it isn't a permissible movable object, we give about an arms length into standable IB territory. Do the rules say we should give 1 meter or 5 meters here?

line width
it is not the width of the line that is the issue it is where the disc lands
in your first example instead of shaving something off the line to make the disc in consider that the disc lands a hair more over the line

it is in
the line could be 12 feet wide but part of the disc needs to be in bounds

OB to IB
you can play over OB but you must come to rest IB

relief
you get 1 meter

How wide is the OB line? If it were as wide as a disc and a disc landed only on it, even though that disc is only on the OB line, it's OB because the OB line is OB.

If the OB line were 1 inch wide, and a disc landed on the line and the OB area past it, it's OB.

Now, shave only a fraction of an inch from the IB side of the OB line and that same disc would be IB.

The width of the line must be standard to avoid this. Seems I read something earlier about the line having no width. Can't find it now. If that's the case, the question is almost answered. Except that if it has no width, it is not a line. There is only IB and only OB so the line that doesn't exist isn't an issue. Except that the rules say "line".

As defined by geometry, lines do not have width.

A line is a set of points that are joined together. They have one dimension—length. They do not have width or height.
- A PDF on geometry.

Accepted. With that and the completely surrounded by out of bounds area, it all makes sense.

:thmbup:

Semantics. "Line" has other meanings and uses outside of pure geometry.

In disc golf the line is whatever defines O.B. Could be a rope, painted line, creek, fence, sidewalk, road, who knows what else.

It might help to think of the O.B. line (geometric, no width) as the border between the line defining O.B. (rope, painted line, creek, fence, sidewalk, road, etc.) and I.B. For all practical purposes that border has no width, and the disc is either partially on the I.B. side of it, or it's not.

it was in.

OB_line.jpg

My understanding is that the pink "OB" disc on this pic is actually IB. I was under the impression anything touching the line at all is IB.

The "line" being OB I think mainly was changed due to discs that travel long distances over OB, hyzer in to hit the "line" then kick back to OB. When the "line" was IB Players would use this to their advantage and basically take the distance with the stroke penalty and try riskier shots.

For example, a fence could be the "line" so in the past of you hit the outside of the fence and kicked OB you could take your drop from where you hit the fence, but now you will have to take your drop from where you last crossed over IB.

Latest posts