• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Updates Branding

I used to be in the screen printing business and did a lot of disc golf shirts. Take it from me, it is ****ed hard to make a basket look good.

Half the knit caps and shirts that have been given to me as gifts - the basket looks more like a mushroom.

The new logo is very bland, sterile and uninspired, totally reflects the rapid commercialization of the sport. You can't create something appealing if your primary intent is to not offend anyone.

Is it though?

I bet if you showed the logo to a friend or coworker who isn't familiar with disc golf and asked them about the logo they wouldn't have a clue.
I mean thats true about the putting dude logo too. Disc golf isn't so well known yet that even that would be recognizable by most of the people I know, especially the ones I haven't actively proselytized disc golf to (yet).

The new logo is very bland, sterile and uninspired, totally reflects the rapid commercialization of the sport. You can't create something appealing if your primary intent is to not offend anyone.

while i still like it over the old one this is pretty spot on too imo. bland/sterile, kinda corporate. "high concept"

I don't know if it's about offending anyone, but I am not a fan of it.

Bland/sterile sums it up.

"Lame" was my thought, but "Bland/sterile" works too.

If an image of a basket isn't recognizable or doesn't summon thoughts of disc golf, how is running 2 of the letters going to summon thought of chains? It looks more like a printer error to me.

One virtue of the old logo was that, even if viewers didn't recognize disc golf, it clearly followed the design of logos from other pro sports, so would be recognizable as a sports logo.

But, that said, the organization's logo isn't on my top thousand list of concerns.

"Lame" was my thought, but "Bland/sterile" works too.

If an image of a basket isn't recognizable or doesn't summon thoughts of disc golf, how is running 2 of the letters going to summon thought of chains? It looks more like a printer error to me.

One virtue of the old logo was that, even if viewers didn't recognize disc golf, it clearly followed the design of logos from other pro sports, so would be recognizable as a sports logo.

But, that said, the organization's logo isn't on my top thousand list of concerns.

A good logo can be super simple with a bit of clever and this fits those criteria, but people often are like, "you paid x dollars for THAT?!" so designers/companies have to justify their decision with stupid stuff. the planet horizon/dawn of a new day rationales are dumb and just like, filler comments, probably made to make it seem more deep or clever than it is. After they put the disc element they noticed that it COULD be said that there's a planet horizon. It wasn't a primary motivator in the design process.

The stuff about the DG being chains is also dumb. It's very much not chains. That said, you cover your ass with words like "resemble" and "reminiscent" when it comes to secondary "aspects" like that.

IMO the designer found a cool, simple design that works just fine. it conveys motion and has the essence of the sport shown in the design w/ the disc. Should there be OBVIOUS chains/baskets? Meh, that's up for debate. People have played DG w/o chains and baskets though, kinda hard to do w/o discs. Problem is people feel like they need to justify the simplicity.

And for those saying that just by looking at the PDGA you can't tell what's going on, well, conveniently the name of the organization is directly below it. Read that and look back up at the main logo and you see the disc immediately (though if you dunno the PDGA you probably saw a frisbee).

It's a solid logo for several reasons. It IS also kinda bland/sterile/corporate and just plain unfun. That's the trend with logos right now though, so wait a decade or so and maybe we'll get something a little more fun.

The planet horizon/dawn of a new day rationales are dumb and just like, filler comments, probably made to make it seem more deep or clever than it is. After they put the disc element they noticed that it COULD be said that there's a planet horizon. It wasn't a primary motivator in the design process.
The disc element isn't even the horizon. It's the perimeter of the blue circle around the letters representing the earth. ;)

Not a fan of the new logo. At least with the old logo you could figure out a connection with disc golf if you weren't aware of the sport. Now it has nothing at all linking it to the sport. Seems to be change just to have change which is always a bad idea.

Latest posts