• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Phase/Photon/Wave/Orbital Hype Thread

WHEN THESE DISCS HAPPEN?!

So far all we know is that the Wave and the Photon will be available for TDs to purchase in their MVP Circuit order. The opening date for the MVP circuit is June 19th, so at the very latest you should be able to find these 2 discs somewhere by then. The fact that they only put those 2 discs on the MVP circuit website leads me to believe that the other ones won't be release until sometime after that. I was expecting at least a couple of these to be released by the end of April, which would probably make them the most money if they did.

cant just flood retailers with new releases. I don't agree at all they would make the most $ if all were released at once in a month. It would be too much for buyers and sellers.

cant just flood retailers with new releases. I don't agree at all they would make the most $ if all were released at once in a month. It would be too much for buyers and sellers.

Nobody said they should release them all at once in a month, not sure why you would assume that. I said I would have thought they would have 2 released by the end of April, meaning they could have released one in January and on in March, or dozens of other scenarios where they don't release both at once.

This is how they have done it for the last 2 years.

If they plan on releasing all 4 after June they are definitely not maximizing their opportunity on this.

Last edited:
Yeah between Axiom and MVP haven't they announced 8 molds that are supposed to start shipping this year? Even if they did one a month for the rest of the year, they'd only have 1 month without a new release. I'm guessing they will actually release them more like 2 at a time (a stable-overstable and a stable-understable each time) and do more time in between, but it still feels like they've announced a lot for this year and are running out of time to start getting the discs out if they're going to space them out at all.

SNOW HAS HARDLY MELTED IN SOME PLACES! Jeeeeez...

Tmart- You made it sound that way. Bottom line is history shows they know what's up and already have released a lot this year in a rate faster than the past 2 years. To have 8 new models already approved just spoils us fans in wanting them ASAP. Its going to be OK'

SNOW HAS HARDLY MELTED IN SOME PLACES! Jeeeeez...

Tmart- You made it sound that way. Bottom line is history shows they know what's up and already have released a lot this year in a rate faster than the past 2 years. To have 8 new models already approved just spoils us fans in wanting them ASAP. Its going to be OK'

You seem to be the only one getting worked up about this... havin a bad morning?

I don't feel like their waiting to release them is going to hurt sales. For sure it won't dampen my consumerist spirit.

But, I'd like to be able to get my hands on a couple for a while to get enough of a feel before some upcoming tourneys.

Still waiting for a release in this class....

I've been throwing the Tesla as my distance driver since its release and while I love that mold, I could use something with a little more distance potential.

In the meantime I just bought an Insanity & Wrath to hold me over. Oh how I love pink cores with white overmolds...

Neutron Photon stable-overstable 21.5mm distance driver
Neutron Wave neutral-understable 21.5mm distance driver

GIMME!!

Yeah I tried an MVP/Axiom only bag for a while and the lack of distance drivers was a big problem (also the lack of a base-line putter that I would want to use which still hasn't been resolved b/c I don't like putting with a super shallow putter like the Atom). I just can't get the Teslas out as far as Destroyers/Bosses, especially not if I want fade at the end of the flight.

The other interesting thing to come out of that experiment was a revelation that gyro actually does do something, although not exactly the thing I hear people talk about it doing. What I noticed was not that gyro makes the discs go much farther than other discs in their class, but that the gyro often seemed to create a very forward fade which makes MVP discs tend to finish straighter than others. This often created problems for me when I was trying to shape lines around things where I really wanted a nice fade at the end of the disc flight and just didn't get it. I realize it's a double edged sword b/c sometimes you really do want a very straight flight and MVP/Axiom discs seem to excel at that. It definitely takes some mental adjustment when you're used to compensating for some pronounced fade at the end of the disc flight and you're just not getting much.

^ Interesting Thoughts ^

I do find that the forward penetration of the GYRO family does make for a slight learning curve. For me however, the biggest allure to MVP discs is not the flights or the plastic. THE draw for me to MVP at this point is just how flat they are able to get their discs every time.

I adore the Resistor but I've had just as much success with Firebirds, Banshees & Preds and the Felon is sounding like a great competitor as well. That said... you can never just order up one of these discs and know exactly what you are getting. I've ordered Resistors from all kinds of retailers, traded for them online and picked them up locally... they're all FAF. They all fly very very similar.
The confidence that I have that I can literally pick up a new Crave (like I just did to replace a lost favorite proton) and it fly the same as my previous is a totally refreshing experience in this sport.

Now that I have produced my own molds, hung around a disc factory & saw first hands how tiny variables can create a huge variance in product... my admiration for MVP has only increased. The GYRO effect is great but not really game changing for the majority of players. I'll tell anyone that I do believe in GYRO technology but I don't believe it is going to make my discs fly that much farther than a traditionally produced mold.

That said... I know certainly that molding consistency has made me a devotee to the brand and I hope that this level of consistency remains paramount as they continue to develop a larger market share. /MVPloveFest

^Preach it! MVP isn't perfect but seeing how they have only improved on their products while increasing the # of molds, plastics etc is great.

I got my blue 165 Photon in the mail today and had some fun time getting to know the new disc from MVP. So just as I though it would do is a longer Tesla. I'm happy