• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Practice multiple discs at a time or one mold at a time?

elnino

* Ace Member *
so i have been doing fieldwork with
5 comets
5 buzzzes
5 wizards
5 rr
5 teebirds

and other times i bring
5 destroyers
5 vulcans
5 firebirds
5 glow firebirds
5 z zones
5 buzzzes

now the question is would it be better to do lets say 15 of the same mold at a time and really learn each disc? or keep it the way i have been doing it. i seem to be improving but i feel i'm not focused with all the molds at once.

and yes i have way too much plastic.

Please tell me you don't throw all 25-30 discs before going and retrieving them. I know I'd lose a disc or two doing that.

this is in a field so i throw all 30 go get them and then throw back to the other side of the field.

do you think it is better to throw 30 buzzzx 10 reps a day vs the method i'm using?

Field work is all I can do here in Baku, Azerbaijan. I contemplated the same thing. My usual routine involves a stack of similar discs - 10 Buzzz ss and 10 Buzzz, 10 Leopards- 10 eagle L or as many as I can find of each. I have a competition. What can one disc do that the other can not do. I want as few molds as necessary. Once that has been decided I move on to same mold -different plastics in various stages of wear. Basically working towards a complete bag without overlap. After 20 throws I go pick them up and walk to the other side of my gravel pit and repeat until my arm falls off.

My new routine starting next week will be a bit unusual. I have an upcoming tournament in late September. My idea is to use the course map, Google earth, and any pictures I can find to get the layout of each hole and recreate it in my field. Using rocks where trees are, mark any OB as best I can and use my bag where the basket will be. I will use the entire practice session playing hole #1. Next day I move to hole #2.. etc. So basically if hole #1 calls for a Wraith down the right side of the fairway, I'll throw every Wraith I have and play 10 different approaches.

Having different molds is not much of a problem. Just practice with each mold what you would use it for in play.

For example throw 5 anhyzers with comet, then 5 straigth shots with buzzz, then 5 hyzers with buzzz. Then collect, then throw 5 straigth shots with comet, 5 flex annys with buzzz etc. Throw your eagles for the same line as your buzzes, but from 50 feet further out. Throw your destroyers the same from another 50 feet further out. At the end the discs should all be in the same spot. Find your own distances with every disc, and what lines you can shape with them.

As long as you have a plan, more discs never hurt.

When I go to the field, I basically throw all the discs I can carry. Usually 30-50, but some times me and my friend have thrown 120-150 per rep. We really like throwing more than walking:D

Personally, I find that if I get too locked into throwing one mold in my practicing over longer stretches of time, I find it a bit more difficult to switch from one shot or disc to another over the course of a round. Focusing in is important, but I'm presently trying to maintain enough variety in my practice routine to keep me fluid and flexible while playing rounds. Just a bit of food for thought.

i'm going with 40 discs and starting flippy. so i'll stick with
buzzz
comet
wizard
RR

until i feel i can throw clean or i anny everything if thrown hard. time to hyzer flip it good.

Man you guys bring a lot of discs. I would definitely leave some behind if i did that. I usually just grab 5 or so out of my bag. All the Teebirds, all the Rocs, everything understable, etc.

Whether or not to throw the whole bag really depends on what your trying to accomplish. If your working on form it might be best to stick to one stability, vs under, stable, and overstable. If your working on a type of shot like long hyzers or hyzer flips keep to discs that do that best. If your trying to learn a disc try to only throw said disc with another disc in the slot before or after it in stability to get a feel for its fit. But if you find yourself in a field with all your discs and an itch to throw, by all means throw all the discs.

It's benifical to do a "true practice", but throwing them all is satisfying.

I think I'm just weird. I'm generally really good at finding a lost disc in an extremely wooded course. However, I throw more than 6 discs in an open field and I have trouble finding them all.

Heh, for me it's less about finding them and more about remembering what all I threw in the first place!

In response to the OP: I don't think you can learn THAT much about your discs in a field (except maybe about your go-to open distance driver(s)). You can learn a lot about mechanics, and that should be your focus for field work. If you want to learn about what your discs can do on the course - take 'em on the course. Play 2- or 3- disc rounds with different combos. The limitation will force you to be creative. You'll learn the molds a lot faster when you have real lines to hit than when you're just throwing annies and hyzers at open air.

Heh, for me it's less about finding them and more about remembering what all I threw in the first place!

In response to the OP: I don't think you can learn THAT much about your discs in a field (except maybe about your go-to open distance driver(s)). You can learn a lot about mechanics, and that should be your focus for field work. If you want to learn about what your discs can do on the course - take 'em on the course. Play 2- or 3- disc rounds with different combos. The limitation will force you to be creative. You'll learn the molds a lot faster when you have real lines to hit than when you're just throwing annies and hyzers at open air.

this is so true. I'm trying to throw and go home and watch tutorials afterwards. my distance is actually increasing after just a few sessions(600throws) nad i work on lines with a little wooden area to increase my lines but again that course idea is what i really need.

as for lossing the discs i color code them so i can find the discs if i missing them
10 buzzzes- 5 glow 5 pink
10 comets 5 yellow 5 red
10 wizards all white
10 RR all red.

so i can just stack like molds quickly and see if i'm missing a disc.

I'd say what your doing now is the way to go if you just want to improve all around, but if your trying to hone in on one particular shot or line you should just use the particulate discs you would use the the situation your practicing for.

Even when I'm working on one thing in particular, I bring a lot of different discs and try to never throw the same shot twice in a row. I like to think it helps me be confident that my first throw is going to be my best throw.

Field work is all I can do here in Baku, Azerbaijan. I contemplated the same thing. My usual routine involves a stack of similar discs - 10 Buzzz ss and 10 Buzzz, 10 Leopards- 10 eagle L or as many as I can find of each. I have a competition. What can one disc do that the other can not do. I want as few molds as necessary. Once that has been decided I move on to same mold -different plastics in various stages of wear. Basically working towards a complete bag without overlap. After 20 throws I go pick them up and walk to the other side of my gravel pit and repeat until my arm falls off.

My new routine starting next week will be a bit unusual. I have an upcoming tournament in late September. My idea is to use the course map, Google earth, and any pictures I can find to get the layout of each hole and recreate it in my field. Using rocks where trees are, mark any OB as best I can and use my bag where the basket will be. I will use the entire practice session playing hole #1. Next day I move to hole #2.. etc. So basically if hole #1 calls for a Wraith down the right side of the fairway, I'll throw every Wraith I have and play 10 different approaches.

That is some level of dedication! It blows my mind. I can barely even will myself to do any field work... I have 2 pretty decent courses within 20 minutes of me, so I am typically spending what free time I have for disc golf actually playing a round. I suppose when you live somewhere with less access you have to make do somehow! I commend your dedication. I also cant imagine buying x10 of 4 different molds just to test them out.

How you practice is not important. That you practice is.

There is a small minority of veteran players who regularly practice and have done so for years. They are all good players. I know because I compete against them and I am one of them. There are lots of different methods. They all work if you do the work.

If you practice regularly then you will practice what you are best at (it's fun to throw good shots, it builds confidence, it keeps your touch sharp). If you practice regularly and you are competitive enough then you will also practice what you are weakest at. You need this the most and it pisses you off to miss important shots and ruin otherwise good rounds.

Like many aspects of life, practice is a habit. The long term benefit of continual practice is substantial.

Most shots on the course do not require brilliance. Most shots require competence and consistency, which is what practice gives. Most rounds are not won with brilliance. They are won with competence and consistency.

when i do field work, i go out with a focus and goal. don't look at it as everything in the bag or only these three discs in this mold. rather focus on what you want to accomplish with the practice. if you just want to throw then go play. i think if more people did field work they would take a lot of drivers out of their bag till the time called for it.

throw similar range of discs to minimize walking. don't throw putters with your distance. throwing your putter for accuracy that just turned over and then your over-stable driver for max distance could put those two discs pretty far apart. especially if you throw 400+ft with zero accuracy. you want to be able to maximize your reason for throwing, not walking all over the place. when the wind is active go throw. throw stable, under-stable, even downright flippy roller discs into the wind and learn to control them. release angle, grip, aim, power all play into the throw. then when you throw them back with a tail wind you have to undo things and think differently. your goal should be to learn your discs first, meaning what do they do in situation xyz, then to work on controlling how those discs react better.

^ I intentionally throw various speeds of discs. More feedback, especially in the wind; helps me know when to disc down or up. Sometimes I only take putters, but if I take drivers I take putters also. If you have to walk all the way to the drivers, you're walking right over top of you putters, so it's not really much more walking.

Different speeds are necessary to fix different form flaws, also. If you only have one speed disc, you might completely screw up your throw for others. Most people see this when they only throw high speed stuff, but for me it happened the other way around, and I was high speed deficient from throwing all putters and mids.

Field work I do all of them up to 4 disks, on the course I just play with the 1 disk and a putter.

People on this forum have to many of the same discs, **** makes me laugh. :)

Latest posts