• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy sues Gannon sues Prodigy

Don't know if anyone saw the actual contract, but also looks like they have the ability to match/retain Gannon when his contract is up. For up to 180 days after his contract runs out, any offers have to be presented to Prodigy, and they have the option to match that offer and keep him.

Seems like an easy thing for Gannon to get around, but thought that was interesting.

Don't know if anyone saw the actual contract, but also looks like they have the ability to match/retain Gannon when his contract is up. For up to 180 days after his contract runs out, any offers have to be presented to Prodigy, and they have the option to match that offer and keep him.

Seems like an easy thing for Gannon to get around, but thought that was interesting.

they have the option to match his offer, but he is not obligated to accept their offer

Remember when Bill Clinton said "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is".
This reminds me of that. :D

I once pinned a wide open 400 foot hole with a D2 that my friend had just bought and complained "didnt fly right."

That's my only experience with prodigy discs. I dont recall excessive flashing, but it couldnt have been worse than the Trilogy stuff I was throwing at the time.

I agree with folks that the optics are not helping either side.

Any company that picks up Gannon has to believe that he has good principles, and that he's justified in leaving Prodigy.

This is a lose/lose for Prodigy, but again, I agree with folks here - the lesser loss would have been to let the player go.

Now the player is gone, your dirty laundry is public, and everyones eyes are on you in a bad way.

The only "upside" for Prodigy at this point would be to actually win monetary compensation from Gannon, but in attempting to make the case for damages they've explained how bad their business and market position are - and that only served to add validity to Gannon's breach of contract claims.

Those dudes could have let Gannon go and built their house around Eli. That guy is an amazing natural thrower. You just need him to do more media.

The only "upside" for Prodigy at this point would be to actually win monetary compensation from Gannon, but in attempting to make the case for damages they've explained how bad their business and market position are - and that only served to add validity to Gannon's breach of contract claims.

Gannon makes no breach of contract claims having to do with Prodigy's business and market position.

He doesn't have to accept, but it made me wonder if he got an offer while he was still with them (like back in November) and whether he submitted it to Prodigy.

If he received a formal offer for the 2023 season that would constitute tortious interference, opening whomever made the offer to liability punitive, as well as compensatory, damages.

If he received a formal offer for the 2023 season that would constitute tortious interference, opening whomever made the offer to liability punitive, as well as compensatory, damages.

No it doesn't. Another company can make him an offer without demanding he break his contract with Prodigy. People have multiple endorsement offers all the time.

Gannon makes no breach of contract claims having to do with Prodigy's business and market position.

Ya, Gannon didnt make those claims. He just said their plastic sucks.

Prodigy made the claims about their business and market position in their suit against Gannon.

Prodigy's intention is to prove that Gannon is doing them monetary harm by breaking the contract, but in so doing, they also told everyone that their business is in very rough shape.

Prodigy's intention is to prove that Gannon is doing them monetary harm by breaking the contract, but in so doing, they also told everyone that their business is in very rough shape.

Pretty easy to prove Gannon did monetary harm by saying their plastic sucked. Isn't speaking bad about your employer in public filing a breach of contract?

Pretty easy to prove Gannon did monetary harm by saying their plastic sucked. Isn't speaking bad about your employer in public filing a breach of contract?

Wasn't it Prodigy that posted that info for "public" eyes. Pretty sure Prodigy would have came out better allowing Gannon's Youtube announcement, which seemed respectful, to stand. By fighting it they look like villains for sure.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Prodigy has been going down hill for a while now.

Prodigy claims he's harming them by not playing for them for 2023, not because he talked smack about their discs.

Gannon told Prodigy (directly, not publicly) that their plastic sucks in his list of contract grievances. I'm not exactly sure how that got made public.

Speaking bad about your employer in public is a breach of contract if your employment contract says it is. Otherwise it's just a risky move career move.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Prodigy has been going down hill for a while now.
Prodigy has a way better image in Europe, and Finland in particular. They were the best-selling brand at Powergrip in 2022, which I largely attribute to a couple of Finnish pros being very popular (Väinö Mäkelä could be even called a minor mainstream celebrity). This only shows that treating your team players well pays dividends.

Prodigy has a way better image in Europe, and Finland in particular. They were the best-selling brand at Powergrip in 2022, which I largely attribute to a couple of Finnish pros being very popular (Väinö Mäkelä could be even called a minor mainstream celebrity). This only shows that treating your team players well pays dividends.

I think I'm thinking of DD lol. I don't know anyone who throws Dynamic and I don't think I have ever met anyone whose entire bag is Dynamic.

And honestly, I doubt Prodigy's quality is any better or worse than Innova. Innova can't seem to put out consistent molds except for their most recent new disc releases. The last Innova disc I bought literally cut my finger open after throwing a few forehands and grenades due to the extremely razor sharp flashing on the bottom.

I'll admit at the outset that I haven't been impressed by the way Prodigy has positioned or marketed itself from the beginning: it's like they can't keep from sharting all over themselves, and this lawsuit, IMO, is another example. (FWIW, my ambivalence regarding Prodigy hasn't kept me from trying their discs: I've been bagging the D3 and D4 since summer of 2014 and the PA4 since Spring 2015, and nothing I've tried in the meantime has come close to replacing any of them.)

I have to question the business acumen of whomever is advising Prodigy in this matter. Given that Gannon was under contract for 2023, I would think that they would have been better served to hold their fire until he actually signed with new sponsor then sue the sponsor for tortious interference, because the sports-watching public in general understand the concept of tampering, and, for the most part, accept that tampering is a no-no. At the very least, that would have avoided the optics of "Big bad Prodigy beating up on a 17 year old kid." Whatever the merits of their claim, even if Prodigy wins the current suit (which, if their point-by-point rebuttal to GB's claims in their filing is upheld, is more likely than not), it's difficult to envision a scenario in which this doesn't end badly for them.

Regardless of whether the phrase "without a high profile PGDA athlete under contract" was meant to be read narrowly or broadly, the perception is the reality, and the perception among the wider public, who aren't reading or hearing the phrase strictly in the context of a legal pleading, was always going to be that they don't consider the other team members, including KJ and IR, "high profile PDGA athletes." That can't help but be perceived as "disrespecting" those team members and is likely to be something other companies bring up, if only in passing, when their contacts are up for renewal.

Additionally, the lawsuit puts team members in an awkward position. Does anyone (other than, perhaps, the suits at Prodigy) honestly believe that the lawsuit isn't going to be a story—if not the top story—at every tour stop and that (dozens, if not hundreds, of) people aren't going to bring it up and ask team members for their take on it at every event and promotional event throughout the season? How many times and how many different ways can you say, "No comment" before it becomes a major distraction?

Third, unless Prodigy was set to launch a major marketing campaign featuring GB, throwing out the figure of $1.5 million in potentially lost revenue if Gannon bails has the strong potential to sow doubt in the minds of the likes of KJ and IR (not just in terms of the amount of they receive in royalty payments, but the number of "their" discs sold vs. the number of "GB's" discs that would need to be sold to reach $1.5 million in gross revenue and what that number implies in terms of Prodigy's marketing efforts on behalf of GB vs. KJ, IR, and the other top tier team members) and where they stand in Prodigy's pecking order: if you're KJ, for example, who's practically been the face of Prodigy* and a consummate ambassador for the past 3-4 year, would you be OK with playing a distant second fiddle in terms of marketing to a newbie who's got a grand total of 1 year on the Pro Tour under his belt?

* Yes Chris ****erson is arguably Prodigy's most successful player over that time frame, but I would wager that if you ask most people what the first thing they think of when they hear "Kevin Jones" they would say "Prodigy," whereas if you ask what they think of when they hear "Chris ****erson," they would say "Robochicken" or "C****."

And have they learn nothing from or forgotten about the fiasco that was the 2016 Paige Pierce tour. Do they really want to go through a season-long repeat of that cluster ****?

Can Prodigy recover from this latest (self-inflicted) PR disaster? Perhaps; but you can be sure that players will be watching the proceedings closely, and if the lawsuit undermines the trust of their current and prospective team members, I suspect it will be ****ably hard to do so.

All that said, GB doesn't exactly come off as blameless in this kerfuffle, either (but that's perhaps a topic for another post in a different thread). When all is said and done, I suspect my attitude is going to be, "A plague on both your houses."

Last edited:
If Prodigy wins. Can GB holdout for the season, that's if his contract will allow him to.

what happened with paige and prodigy back years ago

i cant remember

can anyone jog my memory with a sentence or two please

Last edited:
If Prodigy wins. Can GB holdout for the season, that's if his contract will allow him to.

Gannon could hold out.

[speculation]IMHO all Prodigy wanted to do was make Buhr stay. Someone said Prodigy might have had big plans with Buhr, and it makes a lot of sense. Prodigy overreacted in an extreme way (compared to historical DGers leaving contracts), so Buhr IS key too … something. But what's big enough to make this bad-publicity-business decision to block Buhr from leaving (for merely 8 months, btw)? Prodigy did have something in the oven, timer about to go off, with dinner guests at the table, so to speak. Hmmm… What if a company was going to buy Prodigy for enough money to set the ownership for a lifetime… Buhr leaving might sink Prodigy's value, leaving a low-ball offer? I literally have no idea, but something big was in the works. OR maybe prodigy is just vindictive. Could go either way. [/speculation]

Latest posts