• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proper etiquette when finding discs?

All this "just look harder, never leave a man behind" stuff is fine if you play park golf. But out in the woods where the disc fairies will hide them on you sometimes the only way they get found is by someone else looking. Just the way it is.

People hit me up all the time for discs I've lost. Never got on of them back. Usually give them to the person, or like with this last truth I lost, I haven't even bothered to reply. Area code on the text was from Illinois. I'm not gonna be a pain in the ass for a used Lucid Truth.

I've gotten better about inking only the rim. Don't care about resale value. I've even got txts on numbers off of discs I've actually PIASed, just told the person that hey, it's your Buzzz now, if whoever bought it from PIAS couldn't be assed to put their number on it and left mine, oh well.
This is a fun necropost though. Love how it was new guy's bringing it up and commenting. Maybe somebody can revive the "Do you call numbers on discs" thread too....

Lol...I lose discs. I never find discs. I decided decades ago that if I found a disc with ink I would leave it because I know I have no follow through and won't ever get the disc back to whoever lost it. I've never actually had to put that into practice since I never find discs.

If I had a good eye for other people's discs, maybe I wouldn't lose so many of my own. :|

I've got my face, pdga number, name, phone, emergency contact, and astrological sign stamped on the bottom of my disc. Takes a special kind of *******, to be able to find and bag that disc.

I've only had a few lost ones not come back to me, and have only caught one guy who ended up with 3 of them (angered a bee hive and I was going to go back in the evening when they had calmed down). Tracked him down, since he was the only one on the course that day, and got the sheepish, "sorry, didn't think you wanted them..." That guy doesn't play my home course anymore.

Next time you are looking for disc, look until you really feel like you can't look anymore, or can't waste any more time. Then loudly say "F*** IT! It's gone, I'm done!"

But then keep looking for like 30s and you or someone else will find it.

This is how you fool the disc gnomes into giving you your disc back.

Here is my logic. You find a disc with a number or other means of contact, you contact that person. If you don't, you are a dick. Plain and simple. If you find someone's wallet on the street do you think you are just entitled to it? Do you not contact the wallets owner? Furthermore in lots of places having that wallet is possession of stolen goods.

Again, call on found discs. Could be the owner is coming back for it, could be it fell out of their bag and they didn't notice right away. Any way you slice it, calling is the right thing to do.

Using your logic, to what extent are you going to return a wallet? What if there's no phone number? Are you walking into said person's bank (assuming they have an ATM card) and hand it over? Or you just holding on to it? Or if you don't exhaust every option, you're a dick too?

The people who get bent out of shape over a lost disc and/or spend 3 hours searching are a type that I don't understand. The other half don't sweat the small stuff.

Using your logic, to what extent are you going to return a wallet? What if there's no phone number? Are you walking into said person's bank (assuming they have an ATM card) and hand it over? Or you just holding on to it? Or if you don't exhaust every option, you're a dick too?

The people who get bent out of shape over a lost disc and/or spend 3 hours searching are a type that I don't understand. The other half don't sweat the small stuff.

You mail it to the address on the license or yeah, drop it off at a bank branch. Or just leave it where you found it.

I get irritated if I lose a disc I really like. I get real irritated if I catch someone throwing it later and didn't get a call. I really don't think a quick call or text is unreasonable.

Here is my logic. You find a disc with a number or other means of contact, you contact that person. If you don't, you are a dick. Plain and simple. If you find someone's wallet on the street do you think you are just entitled to it? Do you not contact the wallets owner? Furthermore in lots of places having that wallet is possession of stolen goods.

Again, call on found discs. Could be the owner is coming back for it, could be it fell out of their bag and they didn't notice right away. Any way you slice it, calling is the right thing to do.

If you won't, I will. In the day and age of cell phones if you don't at least shoot a text saying "it's at the dugout/under the trash can/etc" you're a dick.

I just love this logic where supposedly...

1. Everyone carries a cell phone on the course.
2. Uses text messages regularly.
3. That cell phones and cell service never malfunction and the recipient of said text will see said text and be able to reply in a timely manner.
4. For the incidental act of finding someone's disc with a phone number (not necessarily taking it) that person is now morally obligated to get the disc back to the person who lost it.
5. That if finder follows through on notifying the owner, that the owner won't be a pain in the ass in getting it's return arranged.
6. That somehow a piece of sports equipment that costs less than $20 is effectively the same importance as a wallet that contains money, bank cards and personal information.

You know back in the old days of these threads, I would be appalled at how some people would shamelessly pronounce "finders keepers", even going so far to tell them about lost, mislaid or abandoned property laws, that pretty much every state has on statute.

But boy anymore, some of you who lose your discs seem to have the same douchey sense of entitlement in getting them back, so honestly, if there's not a convenient means for me to get it back to you like an on course drop box or disc store I can take them to nearby, I'm leaving the damned thing where I found it. The next finder can deal with that conundrum. If you want to call me a dick for that, oh well. I'm not the one who put it there for me to find.

This thread....

source.gif

Reading these threads is the reason I no longer make any effort. If I come across a disc on the course, I don't even bother looking at it or picking it up.
I also don't bother inking anything either. If I lose it, it's gone. I have more.

I lost one and got a text about two hours later saying it was hidden under the trash can by the practice basket, and that's what I'll probably do in the future...simple, and to the point without hassles for either party trying to meet for a return.

No ink goes on top of the basket of the hole I find it on. If someone else takes it, that's on them.

You mail it to the address on the license or yeah, drop it off at a bank branch. Or just leave it where you found it.

I get irritated if I lose a disc I really like. I get real irritated if I catch someone throwing it later and didn't get a call. I really don't think a quick call or text is unreasonable.

What if a non-DGer finds your disc, such as a park employee/volunteer who's cleaning up the park? Or a dog owner who gives it to his/her pet? The point being, expecting someone to call you back is a sense of entitlement and inward thinking.

If a disc is that important, then don't throw it. You lose 0% of the discs you don't throw.

If you won't, I will. In the day and age of cell phones if you don't at least shoot a text saying "it's at the dugout/under the trash can/etc" you're a dick.

If you don't pay the person who finds your disc a fair rate ($30/hour, $50/hour, more?) for their time and effort, does that make you a dick too? Or do you only swing one way with your dick pointing?

Please explain this logic. You've already assumed the disc is lost. Whether the disc remains buried in underbrush, at the bottom of a lake, or in someone else's bag, it's not in your possession. You'd rather it remain 'lost than having someone else throwing it? :clap:

What if a non-DGer finds your disc, such as a park employee/volunteer who's cleaning up the park? Or a dog owner who gives it to his/her pet? The point being, expecting someone to call you back is a sense of entitlement and inward thinking.

If a disc is that important, then don't throw it. You lose 0% of the discs you don't throw.

If you don't pay the person who finds your disc a fair rate ($30/hour, $50/hour, more?) for their time and effort, does that make you a dick too? Or do you only swing one way with your dick pointing?

Bad parenting. :|

Things I have found while playing or doing field work;
Baseballs
La cross balls
golf balls
Lil playmate cooler
lunchbox
folding chair
Barbie doll
numerous 40oz water bottles
towels
pair of cleats
backpack
nerf football
dog toys
dog leash
copious amounts of trash, F*&king slobs! (which I pick up because I carry a small garbage bag)

I kept the lacross ball because they are good for getting discs out of trees.

I didn't try to find the rightful owners of any of this stuff because there was no name on it. Most I picked up and threw out. I'm not going to worry about a $6 piece of plastic and don't think it warrants anymore value than any of the other pieces of crap I pick up. When did a disc become the holly grail of lost and found?

So if I find a disc and leave it in the basket, at least it might get back to it's owner or at least be re-thrown by someone else.

Bad parenting. :|

As opposed to the idea of being responsible and not losing your things? We can't all be hand-holding, won't-take-off-the-training-wheels libs.

Look, we all like when someone calls us back and returns a disc. It's happened to me all of two times in the 15 years I've been playing. I'm assuming the other 100 discs I've lost are all still sitting exactly where I threw them.

I've chucked plenty of lost discs back into the fairways of the holes they were found on. Because the moral of this thread is that those people are still looking for their discs. So might as well make it easier for them to find.

Last edited:

I'm not expecting a call on every disc I have ever been unable to find. What if, what if, what if isn't a great argument for not calling a fellow disc golfer about a disc. Just common courtesy, I call on discs I find, I am always happy when someone finds mine and calls. It's respectful to other players, and builds good disc karma.

But you guys do you. Seems more of an entitled attitude to happen upon someone's disc and think because you found it, you are entitled to take ownership of it. Finders keepers is some 3rd grade thinking.

About a year ago on Hole 1 at Hiller Park, I found a fold over Velcro type wallet...it was stuffed with cash, had nothing else in it, just a huge amount of cash...I didn't count it but fanned through it and it was a LOT of $100's and $50's....no type of ID, no phone number, no ATM card, nothing, just a wallet full of cash.....I put it in my bag, figuring someone would come looking for it.....got to Hole 8 and sure enough, a guy walks up to us and asks if we found a wallet on Hole 1....I could have lied and kept the money (it would have paid off my Discover card), except, I am not built that way, and I returned the wallet immediately (all cash still inside)....he offered me a pretty substantial reward, which I turned down, as I told him..." I don't need to be paid for doing the right thing".....

I have often wondered what would have happened if no one showed up looking for a wallet....what could I have done, to get it to it's rightful owner???? Had I left it there and a less than honest person found it, they would have pocketed that wallet and been gone....so I did not feel right about leaving it where I found it....fortunately I was not faced with that decision..... what would you do????

Latest posts