• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Proshop GStar Eagle X & Firebird

I wish the eagles were as nice sounding as the FB's turned out, guess I will stick with champs until I see the G*'s up close. I would get out my other firebirds and compare but no time tonight, they are packed in the car, which is broken down :/. Pics of the G*'s, orange and red:

Damn, I guess I should've got a red instead of an orange :( Hopes=dashed

I don't think Gstar is very durable. This may have been a freak thing, but my buddy nailed a tree with his brand new Gstar Destroyer and he put a crack in the rim.

I watched some guy nail a big oak with his Destroyer and didn't notice any damage at all. I'm reluctant to write off all G* based on one bad experience.

I picked up a 175 blue g*EL and was disappointed with its huge dome. From that earlier pic of the g*EX compared to the circle stamp (I have four circle stamps and they're all domey) its an easy decision to pass:thmbdown:

I don't have any X's yet but all my L's are similar across colors by weight. Max weight L's have a nice small dome to them, yellow and blue are identical in dimensions. I only have a 167 in blue and it looks similar to the domey X in this thread.

I am hopeful that it is a weight thing, and if it is I will try to avoid the dometastic weights.

I will say that all my L's seem to fly pretty similar regardless of dome.....I just HATE big domes.

Could the owner of the domey G*X tell us what weight it is?
Thanks
It was a 175g Eagle-X that had the large dome. The good news is, it flies like an eagle should with a tick more glide. Really a great flight. Just a little disappointed with the dome. Not a deal breaker for me, though. I would buy another for sure.

Got to throw my FB (orange 175g) a bunch yesterday and I have to say it pretty much flew like a FB should. Feels great in the hand and was more OS than my 171g Star FB, but less than my 175g Champ. If I could only carry one FB this would be it for the time being, but I expect it to lose some stability over time. I had no trouble with gouges etc so I'm pleased overall with the purchase so far.

I'm really surprised these haven't sold out on the pro shop yet. I could see why people might be hesitant on a truly OS disc flying the same as it's premium counterparts but so far so good.

I've heard the G* is less stable, and a less stable FB has no appeal to me.
Is the G* really less stable than * and Champ.

I've heard the G* is less stable, and a less stable FB has no appeal to me.
Is the G* really less stable than * and Champ.

Where is everyone hearing this? I'm telling you it's not true at all. G Star Beasts and Roc 3s are MORE overstable than their counterparts in other plastics. Most other molds are the same as Star.

Where is everyone hearing this? I'm telling you it's not true at all. G Star Beasts and Roc 3s are MORE overstable than their counterparts in other plastics. Most other molds are the same as Star.

In the poll I made the GStar was less stable then Star by a decent margin. Anyways that could be due to the Destroyers, Teebirds and Leopards. It seems to me those were all categorized is a bit less stable then Star. It does now seem to be more mold dependent.

In the poll I made the GStar was less stable then Star by a decent margin. Anyways that could be due to the Destroyers, Teebirds and Leopards. It seems to me those were all categorized is a bit less stable then Star. It does now seem to be more mold dependent.

I would definitely say it's mold dependent. My Gstar Orcs are flat as a board and more overstable than average star

I would definitely say it's mold dependent. My Gstar Orcs are flat as a board and more overstable than average star

I too throw Orcs and my G* is just as, if not moreso, overstable as my regular star was when it was new. I hyzer bombed it onto a bed of gravel today and there was a tiny bit of scuff on the rim(I had to feel around for it). So far I am impressed with it's durability.

Just hope my eagle/FB isn't a mountain of dome.

Got to try my Firebird at leagues yesterday and I am very happy with the flight!! Finally another Firebird that I enjoy without having to drop $80 on a pearly pro!!

Since my main bag is vintage DX (with three other bags of varying genre) I have to say that g* is verly close to DX on all but a couple of molds I've had the opportunity to try so far.

The g* Leo is much more stable than DX and the g* Wraith is considerably more stable than DX.

Quite a few of the g* molds don't come in DX but subtracting from the stability of regular star for most star-to-DX comparisons, it seems to work out right.

I found a good use for the G* Firebird and that is overhand shots! The disc's flexibility makes these shots stop right where they land. The tendency of of my Firebird is to rest within 10' of where it hits the ground and it even managed to rest on steep hillsides. On the flip side, these are not the greatest discs for roller shots...

I bit the bullet and ordered two orange 170 Gstar Eagle-X's. Should be here tomorrow, will report back.

I got my discs yesterday.
The EX has a very high shoulder with a flat top(domey, but not pop-top).
The firebird(orange~ish red) has the exact same shoulder/dome that my 11x did as well as the same grip-feel(obviously gummier, but same finger positioning feel).
The orange factory 2nd teebird feels and flies amazing and has very little dome/shoulder. Not FAF, but no where near domey.

Any word on if the Firebirds will be in normal production? I'm really really enjoying throwing it and I would like a few more.

Latest posts