• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Distance

How far can you reliably putt

• <20

Votes: 102 45.9%
  • 20 - 25

Votes: 72 32.4%
  • 25 - 30

Votes: 31 14.0%
  • 30 - 35

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • 35 - 40

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 40 - 45

• 45 - 50

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 50 +

• Total voters
I'm 80% at 20 feet, so I guess that puts me in the first category.

I'm very comfortable out to 20' on a calm day, outside of that it gets pretty dicey.

Anyone in the 25-30 category for 90% of putts in a round is going to be a 1000+ rated pro.

I have a big back yard, so i set up my practice goal and marked halos around the basket at 15ft sections. 15ft 30ft 45ft 60ft. It was a great drill to hone in on rage, power, and technique. So far here is what i have concluded.

0-15 ft = 95%
15-30ft = 85%
30-45ft = 75% hit metal with about 60% going in
45-60ft = 60% hit metal with about 40% going in.

My main focus when practicing is to get clean consistant release at each distance...If I have a good run at the basket and brick, Im content....its a skill shot....so many of the bricks would be made with normal baskets. I normally start at 15 and work my way back to 60 then back in. Its also a great way to get your buddies over for a game of PIG.

putting is my strong point. 25-30' at 90%, my jumpers are solid from 33-40' too, no 90% tho.

Im pretty solid in the circle. Lately the issue has been getting inside the circle....

Very reliable form 20 feet and closer, outside that I am hit or miss out to 35 feet, from there I kind of fall apart.

I guessed 30-35, I'm mad if I don't make a putt inside of 30'. Usually not too happy on a missed putt inside of about 40, but that's the area that it starts to go downhill.

I have been practicing recently, and I'm pretty accurate at about 20-25 feet. I believe really good putting is underrated.

Putting is the most important part of the game IMO. That being said I am about 85% from 25' but I work on it every day.

Anyone in the 25-30 category for 90% of putts in a round is going to be a 1000+ rated pro.

I call bs. I just played a tournament where my shortest putt missed was a 35 ft putt on the last hole. My driving wasn't very good and I scrambled all day. Good putting helps but it doesn't give you high ratings.

Two weeks ago a missed 5 putts under 30ft and had a 1022 rated round. I drove really well.

Get out and play with some old dudes. They are typically very consistant putters but not always higher rated.

I call bs. I just played a tournament where my shortest putt missed was a 35 ft putt on the last hole. My driving wasn't very good and I scrambled all day. Good putting helps but it doesn't give you high ratings.

Two weeks ago a missed 5 putts under 30ft and had a 1022 rated round. I drove really well.

Get out and play with some old dudes. They are typically very consistant putters but not always higher rated.

this is very true.

At the Minnesota Indoor Putting Championship there was a 20 foot hole. The top 6 players, average rating 960, made 70% of their putts on this hole.

It was a great drill to hone in on rage, power, and technique.

Maybe that's part of my problem, I try to stay calm and collected when I putt, I'll try adding more RAGE! :mad:

This is what I've been noticing for awhile now. The old guys I play with can't drive, or throw far at all, but seem to hit every putt under 40 or 50 feet.

At the Minnesota Indoor Putting Championship there was a 20 foot hole. The top 6 players, average rating 960, made 70% of their putts on this hole.

That's interesting. I'd like to see some actual stats on putting, not just some internet boasting :D

Latest posts