• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Question for those that know Discraft

taxman

Par Member
i have a few discraft discs. and i have a disc that puzzled me for a while. i didn't know what it was. i'll have to take a few pictures of this thing so i can share it with you all. it says discraft right on the hotstamp. along with "J-bird discs". and it looks like it may be a michigan tournament hotstamp. the edge is odd. i don't have anything like it. it's like a reverse thumbtrack. i just noticed yesterday that it says Cyclone on the underside as part of the mold and has the exact same patent # as the other two cyclones that i have. the town it was made in is different than the others.

i'm just curious about this disc because the profile is so completely different than the other cyclones that i have.

Well, I know that the X Cyclones are different than their Z plastic counterparts. The X cyclones are rated at "0" I believe and the Z plastic ones are a "1.5" and don't have the glide the X plastic ones have (I perfer X cyclones). They have different wings because of this so if you can tell the difference between plastics that could answer your question. Z plastic is usually see through were X is not. There a Cyclone 2's and they are more over stable than the X ones I think I be wrong about that I rarely see cylcone 2s I think their OOP.

Reverse thumbtrack? Says "Cyclone" on the bottom? I smell the dearly departed X-Clone.

Here is a pretty good picture of the rim of an X-Clone. Is this what you mean by "reverse thumbtrack?"

discraft_x-clone-.jpg

yeah that picture looks like the rim of the disc i have. the X-clone has the same patent as the cyclone? seems odd
From what I understand, that patent isn't a patent number for the specific mold. It's probably Innova's patent for the beveled edge disc that Discraft liscensed when they made those discs.

Yep, the patent number is Innova's patent on the beveled edge disc. It is the same number on all Innova and Discraft discs.

The X-Clone was made from a broken Cyclone mold, which is why it said "Cyclone" on the bottom. It was Discrafts overstable driver in the late 90's. For a while it was easily the best sidearm/forehand disc on the market, and Scott Stokely broke the world record for distance with one. The first time I saw Stokely throw an X-Clone I just laughed to keep me from crying...it was sick! He could bomb those things and throw them on lines I had never imagined.

The problem with the X-Clone was durability. That thin wing would beat up too quickly and it would loose it's stability after only a few tree dings. When the high density plastics came out, Discraft tried to run the X-Clone in Z but it did not turn out well. Discraft had a purge of slow-selling discs around 2004, and the X-Clone was one of the discs that got the Axe.