• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Repository of Cool Images

smAMc6R.png

Does the body get in this about 60-degree elbow-pointing forward position while throwing something heavy like a hammer? (references to the picture of Eagle.)

I've learned so much by imagining the arm being like a heavy thing that I'm throwing it has worked wonders, but I can still see that my elbow is more like right up and down and is not pointing much forward at all before my lower arm swings out. Curious if throwing heavy objects the elbow will naturally want to get more forward

Thediscgolferguy said:
Curious if throwing heavy objects the elbow will naturally want to get more forward

It does not, for me. The heavier the object the more my arm wants to stay straight. I'm not sure if it's physics and momentum or my body trying to protect my elbow - could be both.

I have to wonder now having considered it for the first time has anyone with long hair ever accidentally caught their disc in it while throwing?

Does the body get in this about 60-degree elbow-pointing forward position while throwing something heavy like a hammer? (references to the picture of Eagle.)

I've learned so much by imagining the arm being like a heavy thing that I'm throwing it has worked wonders, but I can still see that my elbow is more like right up and down and is not pointing much forward at all before my lower arm swings out. Curious if throwing heavy objects the elbow will naturally want to get more forward
It does not, for me. The heavier the object the more my arm wants to stay straight. I'm not sure if it's physics and momentum or my body trying to protect my elbow - could be both.
I think it depends more on the length of the lever and whether or not you can bring/fold it's center into your center and leverage it back out. From a standstill it's fairly easy to bend the elbow and leverage out with something the length of your forearm(tossing a 3lb short sledge in pic), although it gets harder with something longer and/or when you start adding more speed and centrifugal force/inertia starts pulling out away from you harder, then you got to swing it out around from behind you more with pulled taut straight arm/Olympic Hammer.
giphy.gif

short sledge pp.png

I think it depends more on the length of the lever and whether or not you can bring/fold it's center into your center and leverage it back out. From a standstill it's fairly easy to bend the elbow and leverage out with something the length of your forearm(tossing a 3lb short sledge in pic), although it gets harder with something longer and/or when you start adding more speed and centrifugal force/inertia starts pulling out away from you harder, then you got to swing it out around from behind you more with pulled taut straight arm/Olympic Hammer.
giphy.gif

View attachment 333462
It took me a while to understand body-wise, but doing the "deep pocket" Beto drill with a hammer can help in the posture you're showing here (just make sure you start with the weight shift). I think some people get spooked at the hammer claw or mallet coming in at their chest doing the centripetal move so hammer Beto first can help in those cases. Transfer to disc can still be tricky once you remove the hammer handle + hammer mass and may need additional tweaks (e.g. as is still the case in my own move).

Edit: Oops, this is supposed to be a cool images thread, so:
1708435604832.png

Levers & pocket appearance: I like studying Wiggins vs. McBeth. I think Paul's move relies somewhat more on a centripetal force than Wiggins and often perplexes people who get confused in the "swing/pull/swull" discussion. The relative differences in the moves are also probably because of Paul's absurd (and maybe unique) levers. Paul tends to get in a posture much more like this even deeper into a tilted spiral compared to many other top throwers. His interior (shoulder) levers are so small and outer (forearm, hand) levers are so long that he can centripetally whip them out from his center like a baseball bat swinging for the fences and get his 75mph+.

1708435891657.png

Last edited:
I might be misinterpreting, and maybe it's different from a standstill. But a couple of recent videos, one of them Method guy, were suggesting the axis of rotation is spine through counterbalance leg rather than spine through plant leg.

I might be misinterpreting, and maybe it's different from a standstill. But a couple of recent videos, one of them Method guy, were suggesting the axis of rotation is spine through counterbalance leg rather than spine through plant leg.
I disagree with that concept - sent Trebuchet a few DMs about it. A static front leg and dropping/rotating the trailside does absolutely nothing but pull you backwards off balance. Try it swinging something heavy like a kettlebell.

You need a point on the ground to establish a stable axis of rotation. We rotate around our center of mass/gravity, not the spine. It can get weird talking about some math concepts in the throw, we are not rigid bodies.