• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Reptilian Disc Golf: Chameleon

Nice. You could play just about any course just with those discs. I just put a similar order in. Really excited for this run of Iguana. I also picked up a regular Armor Chameleon... And some other stuff.

The more I am throwing my Nylon Armor the more I trust its stability. I am not feeling a gap between my beat in pred and Nylon chameleon anymore. Now I am worried that the amber will eventually beat in enough that it boots my beat in crave and I will be back to a DGR era approved bag :D

Heck yeah buddy! I currently have the Amber Gila, Amber chameleon, proto armor iguana, a marmo serpent, a komodo, a chameleon, and a mess of scales. I think I'm getting real close to a full RDG bag (+ a destroyer and a GStar Corvette for the high end but don't tell). Still want to try a ptero (don't know why I didn't add one) and a tyrant someday, but I think those shots should be mostly covered with the 3 chameleons, komodo, and carnivore. Stoked!

Heck yeah buddy! I currently have the Amber Gila, Amber chameleon, proto armor iguana, a marmo serpent, a komodo, a chameleon, and a mess of scales. I think I'm getting real close to a full RDG bag (+ a destroyer and a GStar Corvette for the high end but don't tell). Still want to try a ptero (don't know why I didn't add one) and a tyrant someday, but I think those shots should be mostly covered with the 3 chameleons, komodo, and carnivore. Stoked!

Aaaaaand when I said chameleon a second time I meant carnivore, naturally.

I'm pumped to try the Carnivore, seems like a disc I could really enjoy.

I thought it was too shallow at first but as my FH has developed and I've realized its clean release BH and FH, it's growing on me. I shouldn't compare every driver to a 1.2cm destroyer rim... There's benefits to shallower rims and fan grips (carnivore is not a power grip disc for me). Just need to keep reminding myself to step outside my original comfort zones and expand that reperTWAHHH.

Chameleons, Carnivore, *Distance Driver*, Komodo would be a pretty complete/simple line up. Ptero is good too, it would fit as a disc more capable of not fading than a Chameleon. Overall just more straight.

Really komodo/carnivore is a better combo than the Komodo/Pred I am throwing. I am just so comfortable with preds after nearly 2 decades throwing them now. My purple carnivore flys much like a pred, less OS though better in the wind somehow. Still not found what my creamsicle carnivore is like. Its flippier than the purple, sometimes seems OS and sometimes I am surprised how straight/easy to turn it is. I like em and will keep working on em.

Last edited:
Chameleons, Carnivore, *Distance Driver*, Komodo would be a pretty complete/simple line up. Ptero is good too, it would fit as a disc more capable of not fading than a Chameleon. Overall just more straight.

Really komodo/carnivore is a better combo than the Komodo/Pred I am throwing. I am just so comfortable with preds after nearly 2 decades throwing them now. My purple carnivore flys much like a pred, less OS though better in the wind somehow. Still not found what my creamsicle carnivore is like. Its flippier than the purple, sometimes seems OS and sometimes I am surprised how straight/easy to turn it is. I like em and will keep working on em.

I have heard it described as in between an XCal and Destroyer out of the box but maybe not quite as fast. What do you think of that description?

I have heard it described as in between an XCal and Destroyer out of the box but maybe not quite as fast. What do you think of that description?

Disclaimer: this is from my testing with only two discs, and they are a little different. I am at 5k feet, so glide is not as easy to see. It's also winter and I am preferring less OS distance drivers than I have traditionally. May be weather, may be age.

Compared to Xcal or Destroyer

Less glide than a destroyer for sure. Probably less glide than a Xcal too. I used to compare my spirits to xcals, though they had more LSS. Now most newer spirits are very very OS. AGL Cedar is likely the most xcal like disc I have had experience with in the last few years. I can still throw a destroyer clone of any variety 400'+, Anax/H3v2/PD/Chameleon 400 is not out of the question either. Again it may be that glide is at a premium at 5000' It would take hitting a carnivore right for me to throw it much over 400'.

On to the Carnivore.

My creamsicle seems to have some glide. It will flip up and track right gently sometimes. a little left to right wind and I have had some dead straight flights with it. It's easier to stretch some distance out of. This one definitely shows the -.5 turn.

My purple is decently OS, probably similar stability to an Xcal. Its similar stability to a Z predator, but again less glide. I would have trouble calling this one a 0 turn, but it is darn close to it.

They are shallower than I generally throw, similar to an illusion. I notice this less on forehand. I likely would have not notices as much before breaking my hand, but a couple less flexible digits makes me a little pickier. The grip is not a dealbreaker.

The most unique thing I have found while playing with my carnivores is they, particularly my purple one, is nearly as good in the wind as my straighter spirit I bag. The carnivore may even dance less in the wind, but the stability is not going to be quite as predictable.
I have gotten very controlled thunderbird type flights out of the carnivore into some pretty aggressive winds. The fade is somewhat sudden, and not to extreme, it just falls out of the air when its ready.

Distance and flight puts them more in the stable/OS control driver class. It's a different flight, has some dump and does seem to compliment RDGs line well. It is straighter and longer than the Komodo, about the same glide from my sample size IMO. I do favor my "glidey" domier stamped armor komodo vs my flatter ones.

I want to pick up a couple more to see what is more typical of a flight. I also will be sure to bring them to sea level when I play, I imagine the lack of glide will help me feel more at home. I have chained out on a skip ace into the wind where the disc flew the exact sweeping hyzer into a headwind I intended. I have also been shocked at how straight into a left to right headwind it goes.

If it's not obvious from my rambling I find it a hard disc to describe. I am struggling with comparisons and I don't think I have the snap to give it an honest test right now. It responds well to a snappy throw like I used to have vs a fast/smooth throw I rely on more now. Once the ground dries I imagine I will have one in my bag; especially when whindy.

I'm gonna try the Carnivore out.
Mild dome with a low parting line would be about my speed these days

Last edited:
I'm gonna try the Carnivore out.
Mild dome with a low parting line would be about my speed these days

This is the chameleon thread, and that sounds more like the chameleon, so you may mean chameleon.

Our discussion about the carnivore was fairly off topic.

This is the chameleon thread, and that sounds more like the chameleon, so you may mean chameleon.

Our discussion about the carnivore was fairly off topic.

Sorry about being off topic, I was talking about the Carnivore. Way back when I threw Gateway Blurrs the softer ones had a lower parting line

No worries, it's easy to get me carried away talking discs. I am curious and will be following what happens to the carnivore

My fault. I was the first to bring up the carnivore when I was talking about how close my RDG bag was to being complete! I blame Moose after that though ;-)

My fault. I was the first to bring up the carnivore when I was talking about how close my RDG bag was to being complete! I blame Moose after that though ;-)

The RDG line compliments each other well. Covers a good range with minimal molds. I putt well with serpents, but something right between the Scale and Serpent with a touch more glide than either (Clovered up Wizard :D) is ideal. A pair of 11/12 speed Distance drivers with more distance potential than the Carnivore would be an amazing complete line of discs. Then add new tyrants or more (v)raptors, Fossil iguana, Fossil Chameleon to beat into utility flippy, and I would struggle to find more that I could want.

I was letting some buddies test the layout of my new course and let one of them try my chameleon. He was digging how easily it could hold a ton of lines. I think it's going to be a hit.

I was letting some buddies test the layout of my new course and let one of them try my chameleon. He was digging how easily it could hold a ton of lines. I think it's going to be a hit.

I have put ambers in a few guys hands. It's versatile at low and high power. I think I may start recommending it for learning forehand. Enough turn and glide that it won't tolerate being torqued on, but enough fade to be predictable.

As I stated earlier, my Nylons are continuing to fill my stable/slight OS control driver slot well. I am trusting them more and more. In open field a sweeping hyzer is my go to line. The Nylon Chameleon distance wise stretches further than a predator, but falls short of my hurricanes. That puts them at probably my most used driver on the average courses.

I have put ambers in a few guys hands. It's versatile at low and high power. I think I may start recommending it for learning forehand. Enough turn and glide that it won't tolerate being torqued on, but enough fade to be predictable.

As I stated earlier, my Nylons are continuing to fill my stable/slight OS control driver slot well. I am trusting them more and more. In open field a sweeping hyzer is my go to line. The Nylon Chameleon distance wise stretches further than a predator, but falls short of my hurricanes. That puts them at probably my most used driver on the average courses.

I think it's a great FH disc for moderate power, my one buddy throws a mid speed hyzer FH and he was throwing it really well!

I think it's a great FH disc for moderate power, my one buddy throws a mid speed hyzer FH and he was throwing it really well!

Definitely wouldn't recommend it to a power FH guy like yourself (I have seen what you can do with a stego), but someone looking to clean up their forehand form, or rely on glide more than snap like myself it's a great controlled shot. Especially the Nylons. I stick to the hurricane, komodo or spirit when I need to really snap a FH.

Broke out a fresh Nylon Chameleon yesterday...threw my best round EVER at my local 9 hole.

This mold has pretty well taken over my bag. I am currently carrying three:

-169g Armor: really gummy, has a ton of "Platinum" feel to it. Holds a turn longer than most Chams

-175g Amber: flat, new top version that will fly a perfect S shape on a flat release. Sits perfectly between the other two.

-175g Nylon: domey, flies A LOT like a Thunderbird. Tons of glide, maybe a -. 5 turn but a good reliable finish. I used this a lot on smooth FH drives.

If you like carrying one mold to cover a ton of flights... This mold is a gem. I don't even need a distance driver with the Chameleon in the bag.

Attachments

• 20230401_190724.jpg
    20230401_190724.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230401_190706.jpg
    20230401_190706.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 7