• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Resistor

Well, since creating this thread over a year ago I can firmly say that the Resistor has been a great performer. I carry two 174g Resistors and use them mostly for FH shots and they are very dependable. They eat up the wind and it's so easy to throw them at full power or dialed down. I will throw them BH but it does take some extra energy in order for me to throw them correctly that way. I usually choose the Wasp for my OS BH shots where I would use the Resistor FH. Whenever I consider reducing the amount of molds in my bag I never consider taking the Resistor out. I think the Neutron plastic is perfect for this mold. If they make it in Proton in the future I probably wouldn't be interested.

For as much as I love the Resistor, I have never thrown a sub 170g version.

How would a 165g fly compared to a max weight? Can you coax a straighter push out of them or does the beef remain even when the weight goes down?

I'm starting to yearn for a Crave/Teebird OS in my bag as I am currently rocking a Raptor-Crave-Ptero lineup and I would love to slot something between the Raptor/Crave that is pretty HSS and has a reliably firm LSS. I had a flat Champ Eagle in there but I lost it and all other Eagles I've picked up haven't been nearly as beefy.
I have a 172 167 153. They all fly like Resistors. As you go down in weight they get a little more carry before hookup. Great mold

Can anyone compare the resistor vs the shock? I was a long time firebird guy for years until I lost my old proline:(. I've thrown the resistor most of the summer and like itbut I'm thinking about stepping up in speed.

I would say the Motion is most like a bigger Resistor. Shock is great but not quite as HSS/LSS as the Resistor/Motion (only by a fraction) The feel of the Motion is very much like the Resistor

Yea, the Motion is the longer Resistor. For my arm they are pretty much the same. Motion is too beefy to get any distance out of it.

I'm tinkering with the idea of grabbing an OS disc, primarily for forehands, that glides/carries longer than my Zones but powers down and skips less than my Felons. I keep telling myself I don't need to fill that gap...but there are just some holes that are tough to reach with a Zone but require less skip than a Felon/Firebird/etc. Is the Resistor that disc?

I'm tinkering with the idea of grabbing an OS disc, primarily for forehands, that glides/carries longer than my Zones but powers down and skips less than my Felons. I keep telling myself I don't need to fill that gap...but there are just some holes that are tough to reach with a Zone but require less skip than a Felon/Firebird/etc. Is the Resistor that disc?

Glide...No, but its does handle being powered down very well and should travel farther than a zone on similar throws. Also, it will skip but isn't overly skippy like a faster disc would be.

The resistor is great and will do what you're asking.

However, I'd suggest a Pyro. I believe that would better suite what you're after.

I carry Zone and Resistor... but although Resistor will carry farther I do often use it specifically because I know it'll skip... it's hard to say though, I basically use it as an OS Mid and I'm not using the resistor on long holes as much anymore. I also have no frame of ref vs felon or firebird. Just giving you a heads up that it will skip.

Im guessing if you're wanting significantly less skip would need to go OS Mid, or land sooner if hole allows

You could try a Quake or a Mortar/Gator. Both of those options go further than a Zone for me on forehands without a lot of skip and still have good resistance to turn. So does a Justice, for the way I like to throw them.

If stepping up to a fairway, the two I've tried that have the most resistance to turn with a slightly narrower rim and less fade/skip than a Firebird are the FD2 Prototype that came out in limited numbers the year before they retooled it into this current, third version, and the older Sparks before they retooled them to be less overstable. Beware, though, that their reduced fade/skip means that they fly further for me than a Firebird-type speed 9.

I'll second the Quake and new FD2. Both are in my bag and I love them as a somewhat FH dominant thrower.

I think the resistor could fill that gap for you. It powers down very well. I use it more as an os mid than a fairway, but I'll stretch it out on some holes that have to have the disc fade. Because this disc will fade. I also have a craptastic fh. The resistor is great for me, as I can oat the bejesus out of it and it'll still go generally where I want it to.

The Resistor is absolutely worth the $20 you'd spend. Very dependable in that faster Zone slot. I don't think the fade is as dramatic as a faster is mold at all. Very easy to dial in & know how it'll finish.

I'm using some beefy Teebirds in the spot where I used Resistors. I could easily see putting it back in my bag to compliment those birds where I want to get plenty of anhyzer on a forehand.

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up looking through my old stash to see if anything was worth giving a second chance to before resorting to buying something new. The Drone fills that gap pretty well through initial tests. I originally bought it when I threw exclusively backhand, and didn't like it due the weird hand feel and relatively high glide for a meathook disc. It actually flies straight for me with a flick though. Much easier distance than a Zone, and much less fade/skip than a Felon. :thmbup:

Will keep the Resistor in mind if I ever revisit that slot.

Latest posts